1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New puppy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by alant, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

Picture of our new puppy. Fox red Lab. 9 weeks old. Holy terror.
    alant_2008_030399.jpg

2. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

She looks very sweet. I s that her big sister guarding over her?

3. stl shooter

stl shooter TS Member

Great looking pup-let us know how she works out.

4. JTEA

JTEA Member

Here's a photo of my late Lab. Many people here had never seen a fox red before.
    Have fun. JT

[​IMG]

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Great looking puppy have fun be patient and you'll have a great friend for many years

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Good thing.....you have stained wood work. Easy to touch up!
    Nice looking pup. Good luck.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

8. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Great looking pup! I had a black lab, a chocolate lab, presently I have a yellow lab.

I never knew about a fox red lab. The pup and the adult are really very good looking dogs. Is the fox red lab full bred,(?) does the AKC recognize the color?

Again, congratulations on your new puppy, great looking dog.

Frank

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

The AKC only recognizes black, yellow and chocolate. White and red are considered "faults", according to them, and they should be spayed/neutered to prevent them from breeding or being bred.

Now, seeing as how the AKC is responsible for ruining so many breeds with their attitude of "function follows form", I say who gives a damn what color the pups are, as long as they hunt!!!

Kiv

10. JTEA

JTEA Member

Kiv-C; Perhaps they have changed their standards at the AKC, but I have an older AKC book which clearly defines fox red separate from black, yellow and chocolate with no fault. Anyway, if you hunt there is no better color in the Fall - best camo going!

Have fun with your pup.

JT

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Beautiful dogs both of them! I too have never heard of the fox red, isn't there a grey lab too? Whats the skinny on them?

12. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I want one!

13. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

JT, best pheasant dog I ever hunted over was a light red lab named Belle. We could always depend on her to bring back at least one rooster without a single piece of shot in it. Helluva hunter; sure do miss her...

Here's an excerpt from the AKC site:
    "Color
    The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification."

Like I said before, who the hell cares what the AKC says; as hunters we are more interested in function than form or color, right?

BTW, I despise the AKC because of what they did to ruin the golden Retriever breed. They managed to turn a fine breed of hunting dog into a helpless, dome-headed fuzzball with more genetic health problems than can be listed here!

Kiv

14. JTEA

JTEA Member

I agree with breeding problems. There's a guy on TS.com who cross bred his registered Lab female and registered German Shorthaired Pointer.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=220159&Messages=5

FYI
    I looked in my book and the fox red was listed under yellows: pg. 296 under descriptions (b) Yellows: Yellows may vary in color from fox-red to light cream with variations in the shading of the coat on ears, the underparts of the dog, or beneath the tail. A small white spot on the chest is permissible. ... ...
    A "Dudley" nose (pink without pigmentation) should be penalized. (White patches on the chest were also accepted on black and chocolate as well - I believe that has changed as well)

pub.; AKC "The Complete Dog Book" breed standards corrected to 1964

JT

15. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Unlike trapshooters....that puppy will stop whinging after 6 months........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.