1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New puppies coming!!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Tom Strunk, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Dogs don't care, but this would be nice in a 16 :) And Tom, hope you feel like a kid again!

[​IMG]

Maybe not here though :(

[​IMG]

Bob Hawkes thanked this.
  2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Drew, There's a nice 16 Guild Gun for sale on the members side now that would do him proud. ;)

3. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

When we were in KC I did a lot of dog training and introduction of new shooters to bird hunting at Don Herzog's place near Holden. One Sat. a fella was there selling GSP pups. Don told me later that a 93 year old gentleman bought one of the pups! Hope springs eternal :)

Tom Strunk thanked this.
  4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I just turned a young 80, nothing like bird dogs to keep you young, along with my much younger wife!!

Tom

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob Hawkes, I slide in and out of the shadows now n then! Wearin my early poverty duds and followin Gidget with my Parker SxS 16 muzzle loader!! Looks kinda spiffy on me too I might add!

Convincin or influencin ol Tom? That's a lesson in futility if ever tried!! It ain't happenin atall!! :)

HAPSTER

SD Trap Family and Bob Hawkes thanked this.
  6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

That sophisticated little French Brittany may feel an A400 is a bit below her dignity. A nice AYA #2 Round frame would probably be more appropriate. Ya know how the French are. Hate to give the poor pup a complex.

The GSP won't care. Germans are more about utility.

Bob Hawkes and Tom Strunk thanked this.
  7. Tom Strunk

This isn't a gentleman's game hunting Arizona's quail . It's a rough and tough effort, not many come back the second time after hunting with us. When I started here I was invited to hunt with the men that really schooled me on how to hunt Arizona quail.
    After my third trip I was told that I was one of the few that ever came back to do it again.

I have hunted in other states like Montana, California and Kansas where a AYA or something like that would be appropriate, but not here.

You should see my friend Tim Robb's bird gun, it's and old O/U that looks like it's been drug behind the jeep !!

Tom

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Sounds like my 20 ga. Browning Pigeon Tom. Around 25 years ago I decided it was foolish not to be using it more, so into the brush it went.
    There's hardly any finish left on the wood and the bent rib reminds me of a nasty header in New Brunswick. Now that I'm trying to catch up with you in age I find I don't fall near as much as I slow down a step or two. Good that we're able to still enjoy it. Maybe it's time for
    Annie to have a companion, but I don't think I can do another English Setter. :) Glad all is well for you Tom.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Well I guess "Franswa" will just have to adapt. Such a hard, cruel, world!

Hap MecTweaks and Tom Strunk thanked this.
  10. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Well if that lil Britt gets uppity in KS. There's a nice little LeFever S/S in 16 that hopefully will satisfy her tastes that you can use.

Tom Strunk thanked this.
  11. Tom Strunk

Got a call today from Leo @ No-Mars Kennels in Idaho. We worked it out so my wife and I will go up and see him and hopefully a puppy after I finish the Utah State shoot in late June!!

I'm doubtful if a puppy would be ready to go then, but it will be a fun trip, who knows?? Hopefully they will have a young litter we can play with!!

My new Beretta 20 gauge arrived today. After finishing this beer I'm going to head out to my shop and assemble it and check the trigger weight and stock length. Got to get it right so I can practice skeet with it and some trap, maybe even some sporting clays!! Lots to look forward too this year !!

Here is what I found with the Beretta A400 Xplor 20 gauge. The length was perfect at 14 1/4 inches, the trigger weight is to heavy for me at 4.5 lbs., I'll get that fixed, the weight of it is impressive, it's 5 1/2 lbs !!

Tom

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    Hap MecTweaks thanked this.
  12. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

Tom I would like to see a picture of your new dog when you get it. Enjoy your new dog.

13. Tom Strunk

There will be two. A German Shorthair and a French Brittany. I will be glad to post pictures of them.

Tom

1100 REMINGTON MAN and Hap MecTweaks thanked this.
  14. dklees

dklees Active Member

I had the hardest time trying to explain how rough it is to a friend from back East. After 1st 10 minutes hunting Gambles, he put his dogs up as we pulled Cholla out of everyone. I still love getting out every season. Nothing beats hunting a nice cool morning with an AZ sunrise.

15. Chuckster54

Chuckster54 Member

Love that photo of the boy and the 2 puppies. Gene Hill was/is among my favorite outdoors writers. Miss his wit in these crazy times.