1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new pup

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Aug 30, 2013.

1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Heres our new English lab molly b. Ain't she a beauty? 7 weeks, 16 pounds. Bill
    slayer_2008_030323.jpg

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Welcome back to chewed hunting boots, house training and all the other joys of a new puppy. She is a beauty.

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

so far her favorite things to chew on are my toes and our other lab Elle. Bill
    slayer_2008_030324.jpg

4. THEKIDFAN

THEKIDFAN Member

OMG, she is a beauty! We have a 5 y/o English yellow male those blocky headed English are by far my favorites! Here's wishing you and her MANY MANY years together.

5. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Many years of joy to you!!! Labs are the best! Sure do miss our last 2. We haven't gotten any more, not sure if we will.

6. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

A real cutie.

OK, so 'splain to me what an English Lab is......thanks.

I had a small black lab male that at 2 years didn't top 45 lbs. Smartest Lab ever, put down with epilepsy at 4 years....dang. Me suffering ever since .

Ernie .....in AZ.

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

It's just a variation of the breed. Still a Labrador retriever but stocky and wider than the americans. Some say the americans make better hunters because of their higher energy and stamina levels. The English are easier to train because of their more mellow temperament. Some would take exception to that statement also. Having had them both we prefer the Brits as house dogs and pets. they hunt birds just fine, especially ducks, but you can't run them all day. Bill
    slayer_2008_030311.jpg

8. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Congrats on your new family member. The next ten weeks are the most important for training if you want a smart dog, and are so much fun as your dog learns. Good luck. Makes me want a new pup. Have a great time. I think I'll go out and throw Duke's duck decoy over the house a bit. Will try him with doves this week.
    magnumshot_2008_030316.jpg

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

What a great lookn pup, enjoy your new best friend!

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

"... we prefer the Brits as house dogs and pets. they hunt birds just fine, especially ducks, but you can't run them all day. Bill"

Brits for ducks??? I had a Brittany as a first bird dog, and she was great for pheasants, grouse, and quail, but if it involved water, forget it! We had her out for a canoe ride on a lake in Michigan's UP when she was about a year old, and a butterfly came by. She pointed, then tried to grab it when it came close. She fell in, and after that wanted nothing to do with water, not even to wade.

My Chesapeakes, on the other hand, love water. The younger one was chasing her big brother in deep swimming water at ten weeks old, and retrieving bumpers thrown for her. She retrieved her first wild duck from a cold, deep creek with heavy current at six months of age last fall. They both would splash around and play chase in a spring creek last December while I was setting out decoys, then roll around in the snow after. The air temp was about 5 below. Try that with your Brittanies.

11. THEKIDFAN

THEKIDFAN Member

I believe he meant "Brits", as in British Labs lol. Although I may be wrong.

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My bad!