1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Powder for Singles..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ColtM1911A1, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

After many years of using Red Dot in my singles formulas, I've discovered the superb E3 Alliant offering. It does every thing that Red Dot does in spades. And I get my desired velocity using a full grain less powder. The pressures with velocity are lower, and the recoil is soft, and the patterns from Fed GM paper hulls are consistent in density. Very little smoke and a full, clean burn using Fed 209A primers. After an eight pound can I'm convinced Alliant has produced a superior product to their old standard Red Dot and perhaps even Green Dot once I test it for handicap loads. It's nice to find a new product that just doesn't use the word 'new' but backs it up with performance.

Just thought I'd pass my thoughts about this great powder. What say you?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The key here is the Fed. GM paper hull. Hard to load a higher felt recoil load in those. I will have to check out the e3 powder. I have always used Red Dot, and have no unburnt powder in the barrel. Have since tried Green Dot and noticed more. This was in the STS hull though. I will give it a try. Jon

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I highly doubt you are going to be able to replace Green Dot with e3. E3 has similar characteristics to that of Red Dot, Promo and other faster burning powders. Again, given the fact the psi rating for 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz load is near 10,000 I doubt you can put Green dot in the equation.

Bryan

4. undersluice

undersluice Member

I also use E3 for my singles. Cannot agree with your more. Really clean burning,consistent and requires low charge.

Here is my receipe :

Remington Hull
    Spolar Gold 1oz wad
    Remington STS primer
    16.5 grains E3

I am thining of switching to TGT12 or DRTGT12 wad since I use that to replicate Nitro27 handicap load with TiteGroup. I can then work with just one wad for singles and handicap.

Regards,
    JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.