1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fosterj2000, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fosterj2000

fosterj2000 TS Member

ok so after getting an adjustable rib on my xt combo, the posts for the comb are no longer long enough to go to the highest setting on the rib.

my question is, does anybody make or sell extended posts for the factory browning adj. comb harware?

or have any of you experienced the same problem, and if so what ingenious solutions did u come up with?

thanks,
    Joe

2. fosterj2000

fosterj2000 TS Member

ok so let me get this straight, you have replaced the old posts with nylon bushings? or you have put nylon bushings over the existing posts? if that the case how do the nylon bushings then in turn go into the holes that are in the stock, since the diameter of the bushings is larger than the original post?

im a little confused if you have pictures, i would really like to see them, just email them to me at the email above.

thanks,
    Joe

3. guncase

guncase TS Member

you need to talk to Tom Larkin of the Stock Shop. He is a gunsmith who travels and has come up with a direct exchange for the Browming "Junk" adjustable comb deal. His stays where you put it, can use longer posts for more height and isn't all that costly!!! He will be in Arizona now,, his cell # is 507-838-5318
    shop in Minnesota is 507-789-5523,just in case,
    Paul

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Call Carl Holzman-610-589-4687. He makes them out of stock that doesn't flatten out!!

5. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Used to have a bt99 plus--in order to get it to shoot high enough you had to raise the comb to where when you tightened the set screw it would mash the hollow part of the aluminum post. Tried to get a machine shop to make me some higher posts out of steel and was told they couldn't afford to take a man off their regular work;[mining equip. repair] for such a small but labor intensive job. Every plus owner I talked to bitched about it. The damn things just couldn't be made to shoot high enough--Happy day when I sold it.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Not the best but it works. I went to hardware stores and found what I needed to replace mine, aslo spacers to keep it from ever dropping down. I found the longer bolts also. If you have the adjust through the recoil pad I have not seen that style. But with some creative thinking it should work out fine. Al else fails Ken @ speedbumpstockworks

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Chip, The post i found match the old post OD and about 3/8 taller. They where found under nylon bushings in hardware store bin(ACE) The others fit over post to keep comb from dropping if it ever comes loose. The larger spacer is for trap the shorter for sporting. They had many sizes, the nylon cuts and grinds easy. It has not come loose yet

8. JLW

JLW TS Member

I sometimes make my own comb kits when doing an instalation, depending on time. I use drill rod, oil hardening, and then harden and polish them. Hardening will eliminate the gouging from the set screws.

I am not familiar with your particular post needs but, if you someone can send me some dimensions or even a post, I can make and send you a pair. Give me an email-
    Jerald

cware48420@yahoo.com

9. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

What are you guys doing with your guns, dropping them on the ground? I bought a XT unsingle last winter and just put nylon washers under the comb and tighten the set screw enough to hold it, and it hasn't moved. Then again, All I do is rest my cheek on my comb, you guys must be putting to must pressure on it,or you have some heavy faces.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

CW, check Ken at speed bump out. Im sure you can get him to make them as tall as you want. I needed a quick on the cheap fix that works. The nylon bushings I found where of every size. The longest was about 3"x 3/8" up into the inch area. I thimk if you look hard enough you can find ones that work. The previous owner of my gun jammed up the OEM post really bad. Almost broken in half. My decission to go this route was I wanted to shoot more. not spend $$$ on the gun right now. When Im done with ATA for 2007 Im sending my stock to Ken for some new hardware and a BUMPBUSTER recoil reducer/adjuster. If you know a some one with a lathe im sure they can crank a set out for you. I know of no one. Gun parts are not common around my area. Gun smiths also a bit lacking. So for quick cheap fix that works this is what i found also took several stores to find all the spacers/longer bolts/washers ect ect. They did have some stainless steel bushings also but I could not find ones that fit. The current set up I have gives me between 1 1/16 1 1/8 drop at comb. My measuring device isnt all that great. A level down the rib and a tape measure. I bought several spacers in differant thickness. 1/16,1/8,5/16,3/8 inch. When I arrived at the height I liked I cut a longer spacer to length. has worked out well. One note my new posts do not allow me comb to drop all the way down. At the lowest it sits 1/4 inch or so off the stock.

11. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

A buddy of mine just had that problem. He had his ajustable comb put on by Tom Larkin, he called him and said he needed longer pins and he sent him what he needed in a couple of days, for a small fee of course. Just wondering if a shoulder screw would work!

12. JLW

JLW TS Member

Posts must be hard if you want to avoid the set screw from gouging the post. Brass, stainless steel, low carbon steel, high carbon steel will all gouge if not hardened because of the shape of the set screw nose and hardness of the setscrew.

Usually gouging is not a problem unless the user tightens the setscrews several times or in different places.

I doubt a shoulder screw would work as the head would need to be cut off and the thread diameter/pitch would most likely be incorrect.-Jerald

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

CW, home depot and lowes really ruined the hardware stores in my area. When out and about If I see a small hardware store I will jump in to see what they have. Im always looking for springs for my XT for ejector to exstractor conversion. Best bet is to avoid the places that have nothing but young kids working there. I found a ACE hardware that actually looked up some hardware for me in a master catalog. Sometimes you just gotta make it work. A small rotory tool and a drill and small grinder have gotten me out of some binds. Next time Im at the hardware store I will try to get the product code for the hardware I used.

14. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

Jerald

What is so hard about cutting the head off a shoulder screw and changing the threads to fit your needs? I use to do it all the time, but then again I'm a toolmaker with skills.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Time and lack of tools, and skill plays a big part in what you can and cant do. Sometimes it is just easy to find parts that work than make them.
    Jerald how does a shoulder screw work for a adjustable comb post? I could see if it where headless with a allen in the top with the right size threads at base to go into the retaining nut underplate. This would need tooling or ordering custom, or knowing someone with the tools required. Great idea but to tool/time needy.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Thats how its done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

longer post adj comb

longer post for adjustable comb