1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Poodle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by andrew pofahl, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew pofahl

andrew pofahl TS Member

Just purchased my third dog... it is a standard poodle... i will name him Winston after a strong patient of mine who fought cancer for many years... i want to do some field training but do not know where to begin... i am interested in possibly do some agility training or field trials.. anyone have any info? I cannot pick up Winston until another two weeks, he is only 8 weeks now, and i am sure he will make an excellent addition to my other two miniture poodles...I am so excited, i feel like a kid on christmas morning!! Bunker

2. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

The Standard Poodle is one of the finest retrievers there is, upland or waterfowl.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Actually I prefer Setters.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

One of the smartest dogs I ever saw was a big poodle. I don't know if that's what you mean by Standard. I would have one in a heartbeat if Golden retrievers hadn't stolen the show here.

HM

5. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Standards are much different in temprament from miniatures. They're much stronger and more durable than they look. I hunted with our first Standard for ten years, and he never wore out, never gave up. He never failed a retrieve. When I could shoot a double, he'd bring back both birds at once. My wife used him as her protector when she went walking in a park on the edge of a bad part of town and she was never afraid of anything when he was along. One day she met a flasher. Poor flasher...he thought he'd been had by a timber wolf.

6. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

A friend of mine had one. We took it deer hunting without his mothers knowledge and it made a great jump dog. Harvested three bucks off it until his mother found out what we were using it for.
    Dan

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Andrew, Congratulations. I have owned standards for some time. My ol' gal was bred from hard core hunting stock. Incredible dogs in every respect. They can be GREAT hunters. There is a very dedicated group of folks who breed, raise, train and run poos in hunting and field trials. They have a forum and you should spend some time there. Go to
    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HuntingPoodle/
    Get yourself registered and introduce yourself. Lots of folks will give you all kinds of ideas and help. Poos are a little different from other hunting dogs. They are more contemplative. You have to train them a little more like you would interact with a child. Your gonna love it. Best Regards, Jake

PS. You may also want to check out
    http://www.vipoodle.org/
    and
    http://www.poodlehistory.org

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Here's ours on a dove shoot -

http://www.pheasantcountry.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=247&stc=1&d=1163773948

9. pdq

pdq Member

We adopted our standard thru Poodle Rescue when he was 4; he's over 13 now. Great, smart, and extremely loyal dog, great with small children. While he came to us free through Poodle Rescue, we got all his AKC registration papers showing a couple generation of championship level parents.

While people often think of poodles as foo-foo dogs, they were initially used (and some still are) used as hunting retrievers. Know that bizarre haircut often seen at dog shows? By shaving the hair off most of the body it made them faster in the water, leaving balls of hair strategicaly to protect joints, and other specific parts of the body from the cold.

We specifically chose poodles because I am alergic to most dogs; poodles however are one of a handful of breeds that don't have fur, being instead a "continuous coat" dog, i.e. their hair continues to grow just like humans. Which also means you have to give them a haircut every month or so.

COngratulations on the addition to your family.

Pete

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Wehave had several of the toy poodle hybrids and they are wonderful dogs. Very smart and social

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I was a Standard Poodle breeder for 20 years. Out of the business now, but I still have one. They are the greatest, IMHO. A friend of mine took one of my pups, so I was able to track the dog. It was a male and grew to 29" at the shoulders and weighed 90 lbs. Now that is a biggg Poodle.

Best of luck. What ever training you give the dog, he will excel.

JON

12. andrew pofahl

andrew pofahl TS Member

Thank you for all the nice responses... am so looking foward to getting Winston. I need to do some shopping for an xlarge crate... The breeder said i should get one that is at least 35" tall. Andy

13. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I had no idea Standard Poodles were retrievers or hunters. Kind of changes my opinion of them now. How cool. Enjoy your new addition to the family.

14. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Crate? Naw. A Poodle belongs in your bed.

15. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Sorry I haven't quite yet figured out how to post a photos directly, but here's a link to out first Poodle, gentle as a lamb, but ferocious as a wolf when my wife was threatened.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/jnoemanh/jeremy.jpg

16. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Thanks, Jack!

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Jack ... age of picture and if it is recent is she available?

18. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"is she available?"

If you can get past the Poodle.

19. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Trial photo -

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang ... missed again. ;-)

Thread Status: