1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New pickup tire recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jimborn, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Looking to put new tires on a 4 X 4 Ford F-150 any thoughts on styles and especially brands???? Thanks

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have been a fan of Michelins all my life. Never been dissapointed.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It all depends on what you plan on using the PU for ... Normal mud, snow and dirt roads ... or ... way out in the bad stuff!

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the 8 ply Toyos with the M&S tread on my 1/2 ton 4x4. Good compromise between off road and highway performance and just about puncture proof. I do a lot of off road so puncture resistance is a big deal to me. If you are strickly going to be on paved surfaces then there are several other tires that will do fine and cost less.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Check out the link above they have all kinds of info and ratings on tires and good prices if you buy through them.

6. steele

steele TS Member

I gotta agree with the Michelins. I have a set of 275/70/17 Cross Terrain on my pickup that are close to 85,000 miles, & they are still good for dry road use. Just waiting closer to winter to replace them. Not cheap, but good things rarely are. Butch

7. AEP

AEP Member

It all depends on what you use the truck for. If most of your driving os on pavement I would get an open tread street tire. Open tread means the grooves of the tire not only go the circumfrence of the tire, but have grooves leading to the edge of the tire. Open tread keeps allows more water to escape and helps prevent hydroplaning. A good highway tire with an open tread design will work well offroad.

I have a ranch and I use a "C" rated tire on my 3/4 ton pickup.

Your truck is a 150 which means 1/2 ton. Get either a "C" rated tire or a "P" passenger car rated tire. The "P" rated tire will ride better, however the load rating will be down. A "C" rated tire will ride a little rougher, but will handle more load. I would not install "D" or "E" rated tires on a half ton truck.

As for brand. I like Cooper Tires. They produce a fine tire at a much cheaper cost that Good-Year or Michelins. Good-Year makes a fine tire at a higher cost to pay for their blimp and advertisement.

I am not a fan of Michelins.

Andy

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Coopers on my Trailblazer, jimdandy fine.

HM

9. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I had Coopers on my Excursion. Out of 8 tires, 3 failures. One blow out at 70 mph, and two belt failures. I got rid of them and put Goodyears on and am very happy.
    Pat Haskins

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

No Firestone! That said, Yokohamas have been a decent tire these days. Four sets and they have held up quite well on everything I've put them on. Michelins have not done well for me over the last couple of decades. The sidewalls seem to deteriorate in three or four years. They will NOT stand behind them either. They are dimensionally accurate, but I question the materials if you see that sort of deterioration that quickly. I always check the DOT numbers on the sidewall to be sure I'm getting a fresh batch as well. There is a date code in the sequence. Check them before they put them on!

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have Generals on my f150. They have held up well, But I dont do any offroading.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

There are some fine products out there, you need to answer a few questions for yourself before making a selction. The Tire Rack site is an excellent place to shop after you determine your needs. Remember that a tire is a product of compromise, good snow and mud traction generaly means a higher noise level on pavement. What will be the primary use, off road or highway/pavement? IS a quiet comfortable ride important? Tires with a long tread life are generally not as good in rain(wet traction). Tire manufactures will not honor waranties after 6 years in most cases. Your expectations for tire tread life should factor in to your decison as well as cost. Higher ply ratings on the tires increase carrying capacity but most often make the vechile ride harder. Hope this helps. FInd a local tire dealer avoid NTB, Discount Tire these are mass merchandisers not tire dealers and the service after the sale will not be there if a problem arises. If you buy on line( Tire Rack) plan to pay for mounting and balancing at a premium. Hope this helps a bit if I can answer any other questions please ask.

13. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

You guys have been great...thank you. I live in Western Nebraska, snow and mud is what I will deal with. Really dont care about all the "road noise" shot too many years without ear plugs. This is a high mileage truck, but a lot of days left, I feel, so I want some tires to get me through. Not much off road, but in my neck of the woods, there is enough to get me in trouble with mud and snow at times. There is a Santa Clause shoot in Lusk Wyoming, which is not far from where I live in December. If you can get there, they will shoot, would like to make it, but it can be brutal, as can the whole year in my area. Need some new ones, help me if you can on ideas. Thank You all. Jim

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Toyo's are the best in my opinion. I was a cooper dealer(just retired) and rarely had any problem with any of them. We did sell other brands but Cooper was our primary. My son has Toyo's on his 04 F150 4x4 and they have 80 thousand mile on them and look like they would go another 80. He rotates them every five thousand miles without fail and checks the air every week. He doesn't live near me now or I would have put coopers on for him. LOL Jackie B.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    View attachment 244345

I'm running Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's on my Land Cruiser. They have a reasonably aggressive tread, work well in mud, snow and all but very soft blow sand, and are street friendly. They aren't noisy, either, though I have to admit it's hard to hear anything over my engine and gear noise (FJ40's have no firewall or floorboard insulation). Because I didn't want to pony up for snow tires I had these siped, but they are not snow tires. I carry four heavy chains for ice and slick snow. They have sidewall lugs which help protect the sidewalls, and give some extra bite in mud. These are probably a lot larger than what you'd want (1250x33-15s) but they come in all sizes. I routinely put these tires through some very rough terrain, and on "gravel" roads (the "gravel" is four inch broken rock).

As for my 2WD pickup, I have Toyo 8-ply highway tires on it. No complaints. I've loaded them up very heavily and they've worked out fine. By "very heavily", I've put 3300 lb pallets of wall blocks in the bed. Overkill for a half ton pickup. (These are 16" tires. I don't think 8-ply tires are made in 15", or at least I haven't seen any locally.)

16. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

I'll vote with Shooting Jack on the Toyo's. First experience with them, the local Les Schwab dealer offered to put them on my pickup (F150 4x4) and if I didn't think they were the best tires I'd ever run after 30 days, any amount of mileage, he'd replace them with any other tire I wanted. Seemed like a good offer so I took him up on it. I own two pickups and they both wear Toyo Open Country tires.

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I put Michelin LTX A/T2 tires on my 2004 GMC Sierra. Great ride and very low noise. Good traction in snow. These are light truck/SUV all season tires.

Jim Skeel

18. Bill T

Bill T Active Member

F-1503.jpg

I've been running Goodyear Wrangler's in 31.00 X 10.50 X 15" on my 1991 Ford F-150 for several years now, and I've got close to 60,000 miles on them, and at least another 8,000 or so to go. My truck came with 235's X 15", and these are much better. When I need new tires, I'm planning on getting the same ones again. They are also very quiet on the highway. Bill T.

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

Goodyear ATS,put a set on wife's 99 dodge,theyre still running good and still have plenty of wear left in them

Doug H.

20. missemucho

missemucho Member

Check out Hankook; I've had two sets (1 3/4 tn pickup and Honda van) and been very satisfied. They're highly rated by Consumer Reports, if that means anything to you!
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.