1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new P/W reloader.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pat drake, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

I have been looking into getting a new reloader. We reload for four people to shoot about 10,000 rounds each per year. I thought I had mnade my mind up on getting a new spolar, but I just read the article in TrapshootingUSA about the new Ponsness/Warren Patriot. Does anyone have any information about these or any other input?
    Thanks
    Pat

2. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I'm in your same boat. I'm leaning new PW Patriot because it has the ability to be fitted with a Hull Feeder. Can't do that with a Spolar.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Pat,

If you are going to load 40,000 shells per year you should consider the P/W Auto-Drive on which ever loader you decide on. The P/W 800 Plus and the Auto-Drive make a great combination. The P/W case feeder will make it a really fast setup!

I am not sure the extra bells and whistles on the Patriot are what you need to load 40,000 shells per year. If you load that many shells, starting and stopping with automated powder and shot shut-offs will not be an issue.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

[​IMG]

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

and don't forget to add the auto case feeder to it. I would hate to pull that handle 40,000 times in a year.

5. Randy P

Randy P Member

Skeeljc,
    Need a new PW myself and have been waiting for the Patriot, now not sure that I need to spend the extra money. I reload about 10,000 to 15000 a yr. thinking an 800+ with the electric motor and shell feeder might be all I need.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's the new Patriot which will soon be available.

[​IMG]

7. Randy P

Randy P Member

Wiz, what will the Patriot do that the 800+ won't, just wondering if it is worth the extra money, Thanks

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

There was a pretty good discussion of it here recently:

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=244213

john

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Randy P, The 800+ plus with auto case feeder and auto drive will flat load you out of components. Mine will load a box of shells in 90 seconds. You tell me if that's fast enough.
    Good luck with your decision.

10. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

I still believe you can't beat a 9000h, but I get why people want something a little fancier.

11. skeeljc

Some folks absolutely require the automatic shutoffs on the powder and shot. I have a good friend that could not keep from spilling powder and shot all over the bench when he started and stopped his Hornady 366. He never could figure out when to turn on/off the shot and powder. He is a very smart guy but sequencing the loader on start up and shut down was something he never did grasp. He sold me the 366 and went back to a MEC.

If you do not need the automatic shut offs then they are not worth paying up for.

Jim Skeel

12. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I had an 800-B for thirty years and upgraded in 2007 to an 800+ because the old 800-B was a 12 gauge only and would not accept smaller gauges or the auto shell feeder.

I pondered buying a Spoler but they didn't have the auto shell feeder so I decided to buy the 800+ with auto shell feed from a company that had been in business for over 40 years and most of the parts were interchangeable. (I later sold my 800-B.)

I later added the hydraulics to the loader. Now I have a great machine that turns out great shells. As goose2 above stated I can load (full-out) 16 shells per minute.

My experience goes against others on this site but I prefer the hydraulic over the electric even though the hydraulic is noisy. I push the pedal down and the press tooling goes up and stops against the pressure valve. I push the pedal down and the tooling comes down until it clicks. I don't think I could get use to the electric that just goes around and around requiring the operator to know when to stop or start.

Just my 0.02

Michael Stephenson

13. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

will the new patriot have an option for hydraulics instead of electric? And when will it be availiable? Another thing, how accurate are the powder and shot drops? I use a MEC now and every once in a while I get a light powder drop. Thats not a big deal if we are just practicing. But in a tournament, that could be the difference between winning and losing. I have two boys chasing all american points, so load accuracy is a real concern for me. Right now, I weigh every powder drop. That takes a LONG time to load a bunch of shells.

Pat

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Yes, the Patriot will accept the electric drive and the hydro, and the case feeder, and about everything else.

Now, if we could just get an auto wad feeder...it could just reload all by itself!

WW

15. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

Now that would be nice! I would REALLY like it if it did that.

Pat

16. skeeljc

Michael,

It is easy to know when to stop the Auto-Drive. Just stop when the 800 Plus clicks! It is that easy.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

17. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

What about powder drops? Does anyone have in input on how accurate and consistant the powder and shot drops are?

pat

18. skeeljc

My 800Plus with my base and reservoirs drops within +-0.1 grain. The Auto-Drive contribures to the consistency.

Jim Skeel

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Now thats ugly. They need to go back to the grey

20. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

you lost me there. Grey?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.