1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New P/W Patriot coming...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Had a nice conversation with Dick Medley, owner of P/W, and we talked about the new Patriot reloader coming out. I don't have a photo of it, but one SIMILAR to it appeared in the most recently TrapshootingUSA magazine.

Dick told me the true Patriot is a bit different that what was pictured in the magazine, but the color scheme is the same, camo.

The new Patriot will sell for around $1,100. Some of its features include<BR>
    <ul>
    <li>Mainshaft needle bearings<BR>
    <li>Bronze bushings in the crosshead at the vertical posts<BR>
    <li>No upper and lower links to operate the shot & powder drops<BR>
    <li>No gears in the upper reservoir<BR>
    <li>An automatic "tapper" for the repositioned primer track and tray - Dick says there no need for a vibrator<BR>
    <li>Rear shaft to control component drops<BR>
    <li>Neither shot nor powder will drop in the absence of a shell<BR>
    <li>The addition of a new NON-INDEXING lever or switch (not sure how that works)</ul>

Dick says there are still tweaking a couple of things on it and attributes the changes with listening to trapshooters, and the expertise of his machinists.

I expect to have one of the first ones here at the shop and will give a blow-by-blow on how is works for me.

Stay tuned.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

Here's the magazine photo...

[​IMG]

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I'd guess the first question would be whether it will have a power drive available. Ron

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Funny you would ask that question, gun 1357.

I was talking to Bruce at P/W just today to confirm estimated ETA of the machine, and that would be user friendly to both the electric drive and hull feeder. He confirmed the machine was made to handle both. I suspect it might be at least a couple of months before we can plunk down cash and get a Patriot. They are tweaking it to perfection before release....

I also asked him about color options, since the loader looks like it is hiding in a duck blind. He said the jury was still out on other colors, but it did not sound like camo was set in stone as the only one. At the moment, I believe it is, but he hesitated long enough for me to believe that there is some discussion on need for better coloring.

I could live with any color if the operation is smooth and flawless.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Something I'm noticing is the addition of what appears to be a Mec-style primer seating ram next to the depriming ram. Could it be that P-W has discovered the advantage to supporting the hull from the top inside while seating the primer? <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have the shot placement like the MEC. Wad and shot go in at the same time. This would help stop the petals folding over with the WJ wads.

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

From the article in Trapshooting USA the camo pattern is in respect to the military and those serving.

But honestly, other than maybe a skeeter who wants to color coordinate the drapes with the loader, who else really cares what color the loader is?

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

Unknown1 - that should be the powder drop tube you're looking at. I suspect that is what prevents it from dropping powder if there isn't a hull present.

john

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

9. whiz white

POWER DRIVE?

Yes, sorry I did not include that info. I speciffically asked Dick if the Electric-Drive works with the new machine and he responded in the affirmative.

Whiz

10. whiz white

UNKNOWN1: I believe that spring appratus is the powder drop stage, and this is part of the NO SHELL=NO DROP setup.

Whiz

11. Unknown1

Dang it! I was hoping...!

MK

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

They should retain the original PW hammered finish. The camo may be ok for an option but I would bet they won't sell many if the customer is given a choice.

13. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Will it be able to chang gauges as easily as the 800+?
    Will the older hull feeders work, don't know if there has been a change. Mine is 10yrs old.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am with the others who dislike the camo. Leave it original colors or at least a solid color

15. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Pardon me, but doesnt this look like the 265!

16. Unknown1

Don't know why they bothered with needle bearings on the main shaft. Needles are fine for a shaft that rotates completely and continuously but they're not recommended for something that moves back and forth through a limited range of motion like the main shaft. Plus the shaft has to be as hard as the needles to prevent the needles from wearing the shaft. Needle bearing rocker arms in engines don't last as long as the plain bushing variety. Personally I think I would have stayed with the nylon sleeve.

MK

17. skeezix

skeezix Member

The primer feed tapper looks simple enough. hmm, might be the next project. I do like the thought of the shuttle bar for the powder and shot vs the gears.

john

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Unknown1, Why are needle bearings "not recommended for something that moves back and forth" ? I always considered the plastic bushings a weakness. The bearings are probably in a race and not bearing directly against the shaft.

19. whiz white

The bronze bushing are for the UP/DOWN motion on the vertical posts.

The needle bearings are on the main 1ΒΌ" diameter cross-shaft, and because that is a circular motion, needle bearings are exactly THE thing to use.

WW

20. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Why are needle bearings "not recommended for something that moves back and forth"</I></blockquote>The needles in a needle bearing don't change direction nearly as quickly as the load they support if they are lubed with something of any viscosity. The load simply slides over the needles as they sit still. Needle and roller bearings are great for rotational motion but the cross shaft of a P-W loader doesn't rotate; it reciprocates back and forth and there's a big difference.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.