1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New P/W coming out?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Nuts, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

There's a rumor out that P/W is coming out with something new. Any guesses when, and what it might be?

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

No idea when and no idea what, but hopefully it fixes some of the quirks in the 800+.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Rich, What kind of quirks are you talking about? My 800+ w/case feeder and auto drive works about as good as a loader can. Any problem I have had with mine have all been self inflicted.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rich, what "quirks" do you have with your 800 Plus?

Jim Skeel P/W Dealer/Dist

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

It always seems to be something different and always seems to happen when I need to load a few hundred rounds before morning for a shoot. One time the machine wasn't timing correctly, it would only turn half a station vs. going to the next full station. I don't like the priming system, I wish the machine would feed the last 10-15 primers without having to push them in. There hasn't been any major problems but I've had a fair share of annoyances with the machine.

Don't take my complaints as me not liking the machine because when it is running which is 95% of the time it works like a beast and I can pump out some serious rounds, and great looking rounds, in no time. I bought the press used so it may some something to do with a few of my problems but overall I'm happy with the press. The next press I purchase will be new.

If PW does release a new press and it isn't insanely priced like the Spolar I would definitely purchase it. I would like to be able to keep my current PW setup for my doubles load and use another press for single/caps. I don't like changing things out.

6. msmith

msmith Member

My new 800 + kept on breaking index pads and index pad holders. Glad I received my $$ back. Went back to MECs. Mike

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have been using a PW for about 10 years and the only weakness I see in them is the primer station. I hope they fix that.

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Yep, the primer feed and ram are a bit inconsistent, but a good cleaning and stretch of the spring works fine.

Wish they would come out with a Carbon Silicon primer ram spring...would keep its tension constant for a long, long time.

WNCRob

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I agree ...if P/W would just put in a primer station like the MEC has it would be damn near perfect.

10. AEP

AEP Member

My first P/W always had problems. I always had to tinker with it. It was an 800C Silver ST.

I purchased a new on last year and the only problem I had was the crimp. It never produced a good crimp. P/W sent me another under warrenty. It worked about the same. Not great crimps. I knew something wasn't right. After the warrenty I called P/W and asked if the would send me a new one. They did. It cost me. I also asked for the one being shipped to be inspected by someone who knows.

I received the new one, installed it, adjusted it, and it is now working perfect. The crimps are some of the best I have ever seen. Sharp and crisp, and thats on new style AA shells that have been loaded 15 times. There is no hole in the center. The old style AA hulls load just fine to.

I inspected the original crimp and found it to be rough. The new crimper is smooth.

I think P/W needs to pay more attention to their quality control. They are nice to deal with, however I don't think I should have been charged for the crimper.

Andy

11. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I've been using the forunner to the 800+ (800B)since 1972. Other than wad fingers it has been a flawless machine. Never did the up-grades. I must have loaded three or four hundred thousand shells with it. If the 800+ is even close, it has to be a fine machine. Jimmy Borum

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

If I was on the Design Team here are the improvements I would I would make:

First, a better primer feed system and capacity for 3-400 primers.

Second, priming station that supports the base wad while the primer is seated.

Third, an integrated case feeder with 500 hull capacity that allows easy removal of bad hulls. The present system is a nightmare when a jam occurs and the die access plate breaks a lot.

Fourth, an easily adjusted precrimp die with a scale to make hull changes easier.

Fifth, a better way to guide spent primers and a tube to direct them to a container on the floor or mounted under the machine.

Sixth, improved drain feature for powder.

Seventh, adjustable shot and powder drops to replace bushings.

Eighth, 50 lb shot and 3 lb powder reservoirs.

Ninth, pedal activated reverse on Auto-drive

Tenth, die removal system that does not require specially machined retaining pins and allows removal at every station.

Don Verna

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...all that and more for a mere $2995.00 (plus tax and shipping; user's manual extra)

MK

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Unknown1,

Price of something like an 800+ = $850
    Better primer system - say $100
    Larger hoppers - say $50
    Electric drive - say $750
    Case Feeder - say $300
    Adjustable powder/shot drops - say $100

All other "improvements" are of minor cost when designed in - say $100

Total $2250. Such a machine will give Spolar a huge headache. This is $600 less than a Spolar and it has the case feeder.

A "me too" machine will not attract additional sales. They need to bring something better to the market.

Don Verna

15. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

For $2250 they can keep it. They need to produce something with Spolar type features at a PW type price.

16. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Want to know about the new "heavy weight" from P/W - just ask Whiz, he started the rumor.

Jim Skeel

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It's no rumor.

Unfortunately, you'll just have to wait for the factory to make the announcement.

Incidentally, a primer ram spring problem? - Man they cost a whole $4. I go through more drill bits in a week at twice the price.

18. setool

setool Member

And on top of Whiz's post, I know he had NEW primer rod's, and they are hardened. I know, because I have one, and work great ...

Mark Schneider

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Whiz, any idea when they will make that announcement?

Hauxfan!

20. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I'm kinda wondering if maybe PW isn't coming out with a complete turn-key push-button 800+ styled system with built-in auto-drive and complete with hull and wad feeders and hoppers? That would certainly be big and heavyweight? ....Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.