1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Orleans

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I'm traveling to New Orleans for a business seminar on February 15-18 and my wife will be accompanying me.

As we've never been to New Orleans I'd like to ask what attractions we should consider if we get some free time either day or evening ?

Best place(s) to eat ?

Thanks,

Noel

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Willie Mays Scotch House, best fried chicken in the world. Deanie's Seafood for seafood, Irenes for Italian, Muffaletos for sandwiches. Dont miss Willie Mays whatever you do.

3. Michael

Michael Member

You must do Breakfast at Brennans, the eggs benedict is out of this world. K Pauls, if you like Jambalaya. It is also really good. Almost as good as mine :) Go get you a Hurricane to drink at Pat O'Briens, those also are excellent. My wife and I have been there atleast a dozen times and some of the nicest places we just stumbled in. Don't go to Armstrong Park, the crime is a bit much there. Other then that, have a wonderful time.

Michael Gooch

4. tachyon

tachyon Member

Beignets at Cafe du Monde. Opened in 1862, closes on Christmas Day and once in a while when a hurricane is ashore. Antoine's opened in 1840, great food, kindof pricey.

Walk the "moon walk" a walk along the Mississippi named for former mayor Moon Landrieu.
    Take the St. Charles streetcar, pay attention to the statue of Lee at Lee circle, enjoy the ride. Stop at Tulane or Loyola of New Orleans if you are interested in college book stores. Stop when you get to Carrollton and enjoy lunch.

Brennans, K Pauls Pat O"Briens like Gooch recommended.

Have a Muffuletta from Central Grocery.

Great stores on Royal. Some good things on Magazine.

The medians are called neutral grounds, if you rent a car get used to turning left by going a block past where you want to turn... do a U come back then turn right. Watch out for the street cars.

After dark pay close attention to what the locals consider to be safe. In the 70's the tourists were off limits to the local bad guys, today tourists are their favorite targets. The further into the quarter (from Canal) the more dicey things get. Past Jackson square at night things are pretty "Gay".

The Chalmette battle grounds are impressive if you enjoy history. (Jackson 1812).

The river cruises are slow and relaxing. The swamp tours can be interesting.

5. mdunn

mdunn TS Member

My wife and I go every year to Jazz Fest and have done so for twenty years. Although all of the other suggestions are good, here are a few a little harder to find. Try the Palm Court on Decatur Street up past the French Market. Good food and great local musicians every night. Try Petunias for breakfast in the Quarter. I think it's on Orleans but I can't be sure as I walk there by habit. The Magnolia Cafe in the Garden District is great for breakfast as well. Take the trolley out St. Charles past the universities until it turns at the canal. Its right there on your right. Great steaks at Dicky Brennens. Enjoy...Mike

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

Mike, are you sure that isn't the Camellia Grill at the end of St. Charles where it turns onto Carrollton? It is known for its great breakfast menu. The Magnolia's I remember is on Chartres in the Vieux Carre. I had forgot about Petunias... thanks for reminding me... great food.

The cemeteries are interesting but safety is a must. Go with a group or make sure there are a lot of people around when you go.

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Antiones is my favorite! Yes it is a bit pricey, but what the heck, I don't get to go there that often and I feel I can treat myself once in a while!!

Allen

8. over/under

over/under Member

Yes, Camellia grill is at the end of St Charles. Great breakfast.

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

The first question is where are you staying?

So far many of the places that have been mentioned are tourist joints and are places that are talked about on television so all the tourists will want to go there. The best places are those the locals would go. For some really great food go to dinner at Jaqemo's (I think that is how its spelled) or any other place a local would send you to.

This is why I asked where your staying ... if it is a local Bed and Breakfast, cause there are more than a few great ones in the area and are cheaper than many of the hotels a good innkeeper will let you know the great local joints for a truly fantastic experiance.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I been to New Orleans a few times and never had a bad meal there, just be careful if you order The Cajon Omm A lette, really spicy but gooooooooood ... Them people got a funny accent, but I love it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

What ever you do go to the bar at Hotel Monteleone ( The Carosel Bar). Just walk across the street to MR B,s and have dinner. You can,t get any better-- I promise. Try it and let us know!

12. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

La Richelieu in the Quarter is an excellent boutique hotel. The bar opens early enough on Sunday that you can have a “to die for” Bloody Mary (or two), while waiting for the wife to come down for a stroll to Café du Monde. Mother’s Restaurant near the Riverwalk is great for a cold beer with a late breakfast. She likes shopping so it’s back to Royal where there are enough hole-in-the-wall bars to keep my spirits up until noon nap time.

In our younger days, we did a fairly comprehensive Margarita tour of the Quarter. I don’t recall the names or streets…I barely remember the day. I think we had fun, but I'm not sure.

13. mdunn

mdunn TS Member

Tachyon is right. It is the Camellia Grill on the left when you get off the trolley. Sorry about that. Also, ad the tour of the historic area conducted by the Park Rangers in the French Quarter. Sounds corny but they do a great job and it is excellent for a first time visitor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.