1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new or used, what you say

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

About to make a purchase. New at 4900 used at 3750. How do you determine to go new or used when it comes to a trap gun?

Thanks
    Dave

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Depends on the condition of the used gun. I have seen used guns that can be passed for new.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Used guns are like a new girlfriend or boyfriend. They may look good to you, but you just don't know their past and what your getting yourself into. When I purchase a used gun or a used car, I want to know the person that I am purchasing it from. When purchasing a gun or a car, if their home is well maintained, usually their car and guns are the same way. I want to be able to shoot the gun prior to purchasing it. The difference is $1,150.00. Spread that amount over the amount of time you intend to keep the gun. Anytime you purchase something used, you are taking a chance. For $1,150.00, Id take the piece of mind knowing the gun was new when I purchased it.
    Steve Balistreri

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Putting that much money out I will take what ever to a expert and ask them if its worth buying. Take the gun to a gunsmith and have them look it over if its used.

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Are there any warranty concerns that may not follow with the used gun?? Transferable?

Rod

6. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

The gun is at a dealer in another state. I would be purchasing this on the word of the dealer along with the photos he sent.

Thanks
    Dave

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How well do you know the dealer? Do you trust him?

I know the guys i deal with won't screw me. I trust his word. Thats a good relationship to have.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Get a 3 day review period, and shoot it too. If they won't do that, I'd pass on it.

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

used. the money i saved by buying a used submariner, ezm and navitimer, each of which looks like new, saved me enough money to buy a used f3, which also looks like new. good luck with it

10. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

$1150 may not be much to some, but it's a lot to me.

It's all about condition and how much info you can develop on the gun. If you'reGet buying from a dealer get the previous owners name and number if you can and call him. He has no reason to tell you anything but the truth.

If from a private owner, call him with your questions. I can usually get a pretty good feel for the honesty of someone this way. You might even be able to talk him down a little more if the two of you hit it off in some casual conversation. It's happened with me on both sides of a deal.

If all looks and sounds good you'll save yourself a wad of cash and escape the rapid depreciation that comes with a new gun (which could also give you problems and have to fool around with the warranty, sending it in, waiting, etc). Just MO.

Dave

11. pdq

pdq Member

Dave:

It all depends. Are you new to shooting, unsure of what you want long term and can find something usable on the Used market? If so, buy used as there are often some terrific buys out there, often in great condition.

If you get to the point where you know exactly what you want and the only way to get it is to go new, do so. Another scenario -- some guns retain their value very well despite being 5 to 10 years old. If there's not a huge difference in price and by going new you benefit from all the latest technology, new design, new features, etc., then that's a reason to buy new.

I fell into that final group 4 years ago when buying a Silver Seitz. I wanted certain stock dimensions, the newly introduced adjustable rib, and other specifics. When I looked at the price of used models it made sense to buy new given it was a gun I planned to shoot for a very long time.

Good luck in your search,

Pete

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Used. You may have to do a bit more shopping but the savings are worth it.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If it was such a great gun why did the seller get rid of it in the first place ..? What kind of gun is it, and who has it, that might tell a lot more than you are offering ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

The gun I am considering is a Krieghoff KX-5. A reputable dealer rates it at 92%. It has an adjustable pad. When it comes to trap guns, 92% doesn't mean much to me. New ones are getting very difficult to find.

More thoughts?
    Dave

15. missed some

missed some TS Member

I buy used, if you buy new, as soon as you shoot it it is used, good value in used guns. mark crist

16. DJM

DJM Member

Back in my fathers day one bought one shotgun and used it for everything. I have his LC Smith in the safe that shows that kind of hard use. In this era of vast affluence we now run out of room in our large gun safes. There are many many guns out there with very little use. We see them daily on this forum. Those are the pieces I look for. If I buy such a used gun and a new one at the same time in 6 months or less they will be worth the same.

17. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I would always lean toward the Used. But make sure of the condition of it.
    Don

18. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

A new gun is new until you shot it.

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

there used and on the market for some reason!

20. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Depends on the condition of the gun and the shot count. Good guns will go a life time if taken care of. Recently had interest is a Browning SXS for field use. THe price was great but the owner should have been shot for he did to the gun. Like most guys I buy used all the time when its the right gun for the right price. Do some comparisons on various gun sites and see if the price and condition matches other listings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.