1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New (old) guy shows some improvement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by david636, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david636

david636 TS Member

A few weeks ago I started a thread and asked the question, ‘if 60 years old was too old to learn to shoot trap’. The responses were entertaining and very positive.

I thought I’d give a little update since the last thread;

I’ve shot 4 x 100 rounds and 1 x 125 rounds. My scores, while not impressive to most, still represent some significant improvement. In the order they were shot, my scores are: 37/100, 48/100, 67/100, 71/100 and 94/125 (75.2%). These were all shot in January.

I’m hoping to participate in my first registered shot towards the end of February at Brittnay Shooting Park. Weather permitting; I’ll try to get several hundred more practice targets before then.

My strong points have been stations 2-3-4, while I’m weak at station 1 and very weak at station 5.

I’ve joined the Gateway Gun Club in Bridgeton (St Louis), Missouri. This is a very nice facility and everyone that I have spoken to there has been helpful.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the positive response on my earlier thread.

David

2. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

hell i been shootin on & off for 30 plus years. i tried out a new barrel on a gun a few weeks ago & hit 11 out of 25. hope you get years of enjoyment. dwain

3. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Keep shooting, and keep up the good work. My Father took up Trap this Fall, at age 74. He got his first 25 patch last week.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

keep shotting and enjoying it you ol goat lol your doing great

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

David, If you're able to, grab a field alone and shoot a few from just 1 and 5, they'll come to you. Glad you are enjoyng it and finding new friends. There will be much help offered, use your best judgement to sort out what works for you. You also may find interest in a clinic, best money ever spent. Have fun and shoot often in good health, Bob

6. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

That is really a huge leap in progress.Keep up the good work,and enjoy your time shooting.Do as Mr.Hawkes suggests and shoot on an empty field(no pressure that way) Just focus on the target,and follow through after the shot.Stations 1 & 5 often give new(and old),shooters fits....don't sweat it,they will come to you by and by.
    D.P.Reynolds

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

David, Bob Hawkes is spot on with his suggestion. When you lock the trap down for hard lefts on 1, throw a few birds and take a look at where the bird leaves the house before you raise your gun. Keep your barrel below that point so you see the bird exit the house. Hard focus on that exit point, and rely on your soft focus (peripheral vision)to pick up any future birds that may be straightaways or quarters. Always set up for the hardest target for you, and do that at all the stations. Focus on the Target and be smooth.

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

david636:

Check your private messages.

If you're not familiar with private messages, there are 'how to' directions located at the top of the first page of the forum.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.