1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New old guy safety question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brent375hh, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I have started shooting again after a 23 year layoff. The range where I shoot has 3 trap fields, and the 27 yard line is only about 4 feet from each ajoining field. The trap kids walk between fields and and will be loading a trap on a field directly next to a active field in the middle of a round.

I have not seen this done in my past. Even if they think it is safe, it is a least distracting to follow a hard right and see a person climbing out of the trap house to my right.

Is the norm?

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I've seen it happen, although some clubs don't allow it. I was in a shootoff in PA where the club allowed the trap next to me on my right to be re-set with a t-bar while I was shooting off. The person I was shooting off against was on the adjacent trap to my left, because she was longer yardage.

Guess whose home club it was?

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It happens at my club more than I care to admit. It is distracting to say the least, and possibly a safety problem as well. The best way to do this is to tell the loader to go out or come back when the adjacent fields are changing posts or squads. The timing gets pretty confusing especially for the 'green' help that we commonly get so it takes the help of an experienced club member.

Bottom line, if you feel it is an unsafe situation, stop the shooting until the people downrange are out of danger.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've seen that practice at various clubs also. I totally understand the reasons from the profits standpoint but it certainly isn't a safe practice. We have an almost impeccable safety record, lets keep it that way. We could be just one stroke or heart attack away from disaster if that continues! Hap

5. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

It happens every time I go there, so the management has to be aware of it.

When I used to set birds, I would only exit the house when there was not a field next to me shooting and exit to that side. These kids will walk next to an active field even when they have a chance to walk across a non active one.

As a newcomer to this club, I don't want to tell them how to run it, but I don't like it, especially when they are loading traps for several minutes while there is a round in progress next to it. While I have yet to shoot when there are loading the traps, I am sure I would be unpopular for stopping mid round and waited for the loading process to finish.

BTW, other than this, this is a very well run club with some extremely experienced shooters running it, which makes it all the more surprising although sometimes the older, better shooters are not always the safest.

6. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

If you feel queasy, don't shoot until the kid is behind you. If they bitch, make your case for safety and see what happens. If they act like dicks, leave. If that's the only club you can shoot at, put up with it . Just try not to shoot the trap kid. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.