1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new nitro 100?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FLIP, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLIP

FLIP Member

has anybody reloaded and chronographed the new nitro 100 is it the same speeds? I
    have been using 16grs for 1 oz tgt in a sts at 1200fps. the new stuff looks totally different and measures different made in the U.S.A.

2. FLIP

FLIP Member

anybody using nitro?

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I have used Nitro100 for the past 5 years and am not aware of any "new" Nitro. Where did you get it? Does it say made in USA on the container? 16gr pushing 1oz is a great load.

AndyH ;-)

4. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

When first introduced it was a cotton based flaked powder. I bought a keg of it because it was a lot cheaper than Solo 1000 (another cotton based powder). I shoot an 1100 and the cotton based powders leave a residue that can be wiped off vs. having to use a solvent with a cellulose based powder like Red Dot.

There were reported problems of powder bridging in some reloaders because of the odd shape of the powder - the flakes were curled and square and the powder didn't meter as consistently as other powders. I've heard the powder has been improved in the latter years and have no idea if it's still a cotton based powder or if the flaked design has been improved.

I'd like to know myself if it's been changed and still cotton based - I still have some of the original left and can supply picures if any one is interested.

ERaymer

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It is true that new formulated Nitro 100 does not resemble the old powder. It is more of a silverish color vs a flat black and the flakes are smaller then the older powder. There is also a note that this powder should not be used for pistol reloading.

6. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

The old data has listings for pistol rounds and it's worked well for me. It's burn rate is similar to red dot, I wonder why they don't recommend it now?

By the way Toolmaker - Where do you work, (what area) and what's the job situation there? I'm a tooling engineer - out of work right now. The only job offers for a toolmaker around here are 2nd shift, or way the heck out of town.

7. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

I also purchased a 8lb can last month it appears to be like Toolmaker discribed lighter color and smaller in size to older NITRO 100. bigmike

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I quit shooting Nitro when I had metering problems. It was however a great powder when it metered good. I hope they got it fixed. I'd switch back in a heart beat.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

Sigraph, I retired 8 years ago, and I worked in Pa. Mich. and Ky. basically where ever I was sent. The only place that might be hiring tooling engineers in my area would be Boeing at the Ridley, Delaware county plant in southeastern Pa. I have a shoot friend that recently purchased a 8 lb. container of the new Nitro 100 after using the previous powder for a few years. He is dropping the same amount as prescribed in the new loading manual, and don't notice any difference between the two. I still have a 25 lb. drum of the old stuff before it's time to switch over.

10. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

That was the question I posted back in September last year. There were no responses then.

Since then I have used 16.3 gr. with 7/8 Oz in a STS or Rem GC shell. It works fine. In the new book there was no loading for any pistol ammo that I load so I do not know why they de-listed pistol ammo when going to the "New Formulation".

11. FLIP

FLIP Member

TTT

12. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I've been using Nitro 100 for 12 years, and the new formulation has the same drop as the old. Works fine, and leaves my gun clean.

13. Setterman

Wolfman, How does it meter? What fluctuation in drops do you commonly see?

14. Remingtondon

Remingtondon TS Member

Gentlemen:
    I contacted Nitro Factory Tech's and there is a difference in the formula's and loading from the Old to the New. The testing is not complete but I was told for a 1200 fps load with STS or AA hulls and fig-8 wads that 17.2 should be the charge. My friend ran a number of loads through the cronograph and found that 16.5 with good hulls averages in the 1150 to 1190 area. We also found out that the new formula, which is marked as "NEW" on the 8 pound kegs, is denser and we had to drop down a bushing to get the same dram drop. I suggest you weigh your loads upon conversion from the Old to the new. The tech also told me that his test finding so far show that the new formula needs approximately .5 grains more then the Old to match up. The New formula is just as clean and soft as the old and yes, Cheaper at least the kegs I bought were. Just my understanding and facts received directly from Nitro. Good Luck and Good Shooting, Don

15. Setterman

Go to the Accurate website. The powder is very limited on loads right now.

16. TOOLMAKER 251

My opinion is, Accurate has no business calling this new powder "Nitro 100"

17. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Hey Flip send me an email and I will send you the weights recommended for my 1 oz. load as recommended by the Accurate Arms tech in charge. I to noticed that the drop from the new keg as compared to the old keg dropped heavier. I contacted them by phone and email and they told me it should meter the same. It did not and I to had to drop a couple of bushings. They said there was not a difference but there is + the new stuff wants to sift. If you like the way the old stuff dropped then get your hands on it. My supplier still has 25#ers of the old but the 4# & 8# kegs are the new stuff.

18. FLIP

FLIP Member

looks like i head out to run some thru a chronograph, loved the old stuff now i cant fine any old,so i had to buy 8lb of the new, thanks beerking i had a crash on home pc no email right now, can you post some 1oz loads here? I have been using 16gr tgtwad sts hull fio primer.

19. locdoc

locdoc Member

Small uniform flakes. Should meter very well. Sorry about the focus.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. FLIP

FLIP Member

locdoc. thats the stuff static sticking it to the cap, same with loading it.
    Beerking cane you post loads you got for 1oz email is down now for me
    Thanks Flip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nitro 100 new formulation