1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New neighbors on each side of me

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have lived in my current home since 1976. Recently long time neighbors of mine past away. They were great people as we helped each other with home repairs and would sometimes sit and have a drink together.

The new neighbor that moved into their home is a single gal in her 20's. She has not done one thing to try and take care of her property. She purchased a push lawn mower as she cuts 1/4 of her front lawn once per week. Than another 1/4 a week later.

Her back lawn has never been cut since she moved in months ago. She has huge bushes that she has never trimmed that border my drive way and garage and they have gotten so thick that her bushes are now in my drive way and touching my garage as it is even hard to get to my garbage cans.

I asked her if she needed any help trimming and she turns around and walks into her house??? Every night after work she reads a book on her porch and neighbors walk by and say hello and she doesn't look up from her book.

The other new neighbor moved in on the other side of my property recently, and my wife and I walk over to our fence separating our properties and we introduced ourselves. The guy's wife walked back in her house without saying anything and he says we really do not want to become friendly with neighbors and he walks into his house too.

What is going on around here? What ever happened to neighbors being neighborly? When I was growing up I had neighbors come over and ask my mom if they could borrow a couple eggs or a cup of sugar and they would pay her back when they went grocery shopping.

If I did that today they would either set the dog on me or call the police.

Any idea what is going on with some of the neighbors of today? Maybe I scare them as I am not the handsomest guy on the block?

Steve Balistreri

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Steve, you need to hide your "will work for food sign" when approaching neighbors:) We live in a different world today. Many of those who move into houses are former appartment dwellers who may never have lived in a real home before and don't have a clue.

Robert

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Tall fences make nice neighbors.

Maybe she thinks your a creeper! lol.

4. 1100tt

1100tt Active Member

I hope these are tall enough.

1100tt_2008_17087.jpg

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Steve,

Do what we did. Move into a family oriented gated community with strong restrictions. So now, I cut the neighbors yard on both sides of me as neither has a mower and won't hire anyone to do it. Restrictions are broken by basically all residents. I haul my smoker to the clubhouse often to feed BBQ to the residents for free and anyone here knows they are welcome to veggies out of my garden and fruit off my trees. Two of the entire group will speak to me. The two that I mow their lawns for free.

Go figure!

It's a different world my friend...

milt

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Steve did you graduate yet?

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If people came from big city environments they learned to become islands unto themselves. It's just the way it's done in the city.

I also suspect this may be the result of so much American commerce that is done by way of conning someone out of their money today as opposed to earning an honest living, and people are tired of being hit on by con artists and other assorted parasites looking to take them for something, so they build walls.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Is the 20 yr old hot?

The other couple--must be from California, New York, or Conneticufingtut and are therefore not responsible for their social ignorance. However if she is hot, I’d give it another try!

If life serves you a lemon, make iced tea my friend.

Guy B.

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Welcome to the generation of Xbox'ers and Eco-tech! They have no clue what the word "Neighbor" means.

I now live in a apartment complex, only the "ole timers" will say Hi and talk to you, the youngsters run and hide!

Watch teenagers walk down the sidewalk for blocks, texting, never looking up or what is going on around them! How sad a life they must have created for themselves.

Actually its the parents giving in to all the latest gadgets!!!

10. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Don't let the world put you in a box.

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

That's a tough one Steve, when they just walk away and intentionally admit they don't want to know the neighbors.

We've fallen away from meeting new neighbors because it happens so often and before you know it, they're gone.

Maybe there's a retirement community centered around a trap club. Wow, that would be awesome. Is the Silver Dollar in FL an example of that? It would mean instant friends and neighbors all rolled into one.

If it's any consolation, I think you and I would get along great as neighbors. We do have chickens (3), but no roosters. Hey Steve, it's a shootin' night. Get your gear. I'm driving.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I once had a very elderly neighbor who frightened my wife. No offense Steve, but are you sure you were wearing pants?

-Gary

13. senior smoke

Bruce:
    I graduated on May 20TH. Had all A's and one B. I told my best friend that I am now a college graduate and he said your still fat and ugly and dumb.
    Steve

Guy B:
    She could haunt houses.
    Steve

14. senior smoke

Aprice:
    LOL
    Steve

Gary:
    I am big enough to be weighed in at the local slaughter house. I did have walking shorts on. Maybe my neighbors dislike old pot belly fat men.
    Steve

Joe:
    As I am typing this I am at my mothers house staring out the window at her condo complex. A young man and woman are walking by staring down at their magic boxes, I think Texting. I am starting to think people my age are among the living and walking dead. Like Vince Lombardi once said, "What the hell is going on around here"?

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Move to the Ozarks! People here will not only talk to you...they will feed your dog, help you move in and bring you covered dishes! And we don't hvfe to lock our doors!!! (Of course, we still have winter.) Martinpicker

16. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Steve;

Offer to help the 20-year-old trim her bush!

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

17. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Anything that hangs over my property line gets the trimmer. Looks as though you should do the same. Jake

18. senior smoke

I am in my 60's and how did this country and it's people change so much? I have never had neighbors like this before. My son told me that these neighbors are a lot younger than my wife and I and a lot of younger people do not like older people.

There was a time that I knew almost every neighbor on both sides of my block. If my wife and I took a walk sometimes a neighbor would come out offering us something to drink.

We recently had an ambulance go to a neighbors home one evening and other than my wife and I, not one neighbor came out of their homes to offer to help or see what happened, that's sad.
    Steve

19. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I guess I am really lucky, My wife and I moved into our new house 3 years ago this month. We had 1 neighbor bring us fresh baked chocolate chip cookies to welcome us to the neighborhood and others stopped by to say hi. 5 months later, we had back to back blizzards that dumped 54 inches of snow. We both got stuck at work, I caught a few hours sleep on the floor of the precinct squad room and my wife in the break room of the dispatch center. I was not looking forward to all the shoveling when I got home, so when I finally got relieved, I swung by my in laws and used their snow blower to clear their driveway and then loaded it up on a trailer to take to my house.

When I got to the house, I could not believe what I saw, my driveway and sidewalk as well as my porch were shoveled and salted. The neighbors got together and did that for us, thinking that we would be stuck at work. It was INCREDIBLE!!!!!! They only knew us in passing and they took care of their neighbors. I went to each one and thanked them personally. I also dropped off 6 cases of beer. LOL

Since then , we have all come to be close friends and we look out for each other. We do for each other, without being asked, because we are all old school.

Steve, maybe try inviting both neighbors for a cookout and see how it go's.

Oscar

20. senior smoke

Oscar:
    Now that's neighbors that I can relate to.
    Steve

Frank:
    I would not mind having Big Don as a neighbor. To me, he seems like a good honest man that has done a lot for trapshooting.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.