1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Movie - Apaloosa

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Went to see it even though I don't like Ed Harris's views on our social issues BUT I am a sucker for a good western. Might give this one a try. The history is correct. Whoever did the issuing for guns was spot on. It is set in 1882 and there are precussion upgrades, Winchester rifles that you usually don't see, yellow Henry's and other stuff mixed in in the right places. When you looked out the saloon window, everything was blurred - float glass - just like it was then. Even the size and construction (rough sawed wood) of the houses and jail iron bars was right.
    Not the normal shoot-um-up more like a few days in the life. There were fairly good guys, bad guys, worse guys and indians WOW who could ask for more.
    Main charaters back up carried and 8 guage that was longer that I am tall!
    When they shot a gun, they reloaded right then even if only one shot was fired and when the back up guy came in a room, he opened the big 8 guage action.
    Must have had Topm Sellick as an advisor.
    It ain't no Lonesom Dove and there is no Agustus McCrea but the main guy had some of Wodrow's beat hell out of them tendencies. All in all, worth the price of admission.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Thanks for the review....sounds like a good way to knock off an afternoon of boredom..

Curt

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jim...Martin and I planned on going to see it sometime this week. Now I'm looking forward to it even more.

4. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review, I was wondering about this one. I too am a Westen movie guy.
    I stiil watch Silverado from time to time.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jim.... There are westerns, and there are westerns, and then there is Lonesome Dove. To me, personally, it is the best, and most moving western ever put on film. The relationships shared by those two well worn grizzled, aging, cowboys is as deep as any relationship between two people can ever get, especially between two men of that era. That movie left no doubt as to how they truly felt about each other and the lengths they would go to to protect each other and that friendship. A very well made western, and casted perfectly. Anyone that has watched Lonesome Dove and not felt the feelings and the attachments of these cowboys for each other just didn't get the point at all. Best Damn Cowboy Movie Ever...... Just my opinion..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Dan: I agree. Lonesome Dove is THE western. I had read the book way before the movie and my girls bought me the CD'S. I was watching it one day and cut it off mid stream. My wife asked why and I told her that I would not watch Gus die again. It was like loosing a family member. I'll watch it to there ever so often but no further. Old softie I guess.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Appaloosa, I used to have one of them great horse, but the Sorrel Color Stud with the 4 white socks a white blaze was the absolute best horse I ever owned ... The SOB could out run a 1/4 horse and turn on a dime when running the barrels ... Neck reining came naturally to him and he was a hand full if he got the notion to be ...

The previews look like it will be a good movie and worth while seeing ... I'm making a note ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

You fellow shooters ever see "The Sackets" ??

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Gus..."Woodrow, it's about time you gave that boy your name". Woodrow..."Hell, I gave him my horse".

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Apaloosa was good IMHO but it cannot stay with Lonesome Dove, Broken Trail, Open Range, Shane or One Eyed Jacks.

11. cls

cls Member

I'm watching Silverado on AMC right now, great movie.

I saw Apaloosa a couple weeks ago and would agree with Jim Porter 100%. I really enjoyed the movie, but I thought the ending was a little weak. I of course wont say anymore and spoil it for those who haven't seen it. cls

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'd like to see it but have doubts it could knock my #1 and #2 and #3 off of thier perchs on my list...Tombstone and Open Range followed by Unforgiven (in that order)

13. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Enjoyed the "rough hewn" look as well. Reminded me a bit of the general look of "Deadwood" on HBO.

Also agree that "Tombstone" , "Lonesome Dove" and "Open Range" were some of the BEST ever made.

FN in MT

14. Urbans

Urbans Member

Has anyone ever seen "The Apaloosa" with Marlon Brando?

15. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

The Outlaw Josey Wales still a one of the best. Jimmy Borum

16. poorshooter

poorshooter TS Member

"Dances with Wolves" was pretty good too.

17. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

You guys ever see John Wayne's "Red River," or Shane or the Searchers? Those were westerns.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The Unforgiven was a great one.

19. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Cheesy, Trappy, Rehab,Swanny, and Nipples all said that "Broke Back Mountain" was their favorite...in fact, they all get together once a month for their slumber parties and watch it on dvd. Word on the street is that after the movie, they give each other pedicures and pluck each others eye brows.

20. BMC

BMC Member

One of my favorites
    The Man From Snowy River

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZBXLYJwgt4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZBXLYJwgt4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.