Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Movie - Apaloosa

4K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  CalvinMD 
#1 ·
Went to see it even though I don't like Ed Harris's views on our social issues BUT I am a sucker for a good western. Might give this one a try. The history is correct. Whoever did the issuing for guns was spot on. It is set in 1882 and there are precussion upgrades, Winchester rifles that you usually don't see, yellow Henry's and other stuff mixed in in the right places. When you looked out the saloon window, everything was blurred - float glass - just like it was then. Even the size and construction (rough sawed wood) of the houses and jail iron bars was right.
Not the normal shoot-um-up more like a few days in the life. There were fairly good guys, bad guys, worse guys and indians WOW who could ask for more.
Main charaters back up carried and 8 guage that was longer that I am tall!
When they shot a gun, they reloaded right then even if only one shot was fired and when the back up guy came in a room, he opened the big 8 guage action.
Must have had Topm Sellick as an advisor.
It ain't no Lonesom Dove and there is no Agustus McCrea but the main guy had some of Wodrow's beat hell out of them tendencies. All in all, worth the price of admission.

#5 ·
Jim.... There are westerns, and there are westerns, and then there is Lonesome Dove. To me, personally, it is the best, and most moving western ever put on film. The relationships shared by those two well worn grizzled, aging, cowboys is as deep as any relationship between two people can ever get, especially between two men of that era. That movie left no doubt as to how they truly felt about each other and the lengths they would go to to protect each other and that friendship. A very well made western, and casted perfectly. Anyone that has watched Lonesome Dove and not felt the feelings and the attachments of these cowboys for each other just didn't get the point at all. Best Damn Cowboy Movie Ever...... Just my opinion..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

#6 ·
Dan: I agree. Lonesome Dove is THE western. I had read the book way before the movie and my girls bought me the CD'S. I was watching it one day and cut it off mid stream. My wife asked why and I told her that I would not watch Gus die again. It was like loosing a family member. I'll watch it to there ever so often but no further. Old softie I guess.

#7 ·
Appaloosa, I used to have one of them great horse, but the Sorrel Color Stud with the 4 white socks a white blaze was the absolute best horse I ever owned ... The SOB could out run a 1/4 horse and turn on a dime when running the barrels ... Neck reining came naturally to him and he was a hand full if he got the notion to be ...

The previews look like it will be a good movie and worth while seeing ... I'm making a note ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

#11 ·
I'm watching Silverado on AMC right now, great movie.

I saw Apaloosa a couple weeks ago and would agree with Jim Porter 100%. I really enjoyed the movie, but I thought the ending was a little weak. I of course wont say anymore and spoil it for those who haven't seen it. cls

#19 ·
Cheesy, Trappy, Rehab,Swanny, and Nipples all said that "Broke Back Mountain" was their favorite...in fact, they all get together once a month for their slumber parties and watch it on dvd. Word on the street is that after the movie, they give each other pedicures and pluck each others eye brows.

#20 ·
One of my favorites
The Man From Snowy River

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZBXLYJwgt4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZBXLYJwgt4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.