Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New member needing stocking info

929 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  turmite 
#1 ·
Hi new member here. I have lurked a couple of weeks but now have to post! I have a background in stock making, but not much with shot guns. I have a grandson who is 12, and has taken the Trapshooting lure, hook, line and sinker!

I have been trying to build him a dedicated trap stock but realise I need some help. Is there anywhere on the net that has diagrams showing how to set up a trap stock, such as drop at the comb, toe and heel measurements etc., based on some sort of standards? Or, is it going to be a lot harder than I first thought?

The gun is a 1100, with 28" vent barrel with chokes. I started with basically the same gun except for the barrel not being vented, and attempted to rebuild the factory stock to fit. I had the original showing about a 70/30 vertical shot spred with the front bead just below the target. I then began watching him practice and he could not hit anything that was not straigh ahead and rising.

Where do I go from here? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mike

#3 ·
Well, considering he had never fired a shotgun at a clay bird, had a gun that didn't fit him, is super shy to boot......I was kinda proud of him, and all his hits are not straight away and up, but most are. He has fired a total of a couple hundred rounds, and I am simply trying to make this fun for him since he has fallen for it so completely! Thanks for the advice.

Mike

#4 ·
As a start, Remingtons web page should list the dimensions for a trap stock and you can probably use that as a basis to start if your gun's rib height is the same. A 12 year old though will probably need a much shorter lop. There should be no shortage of used trap stocks for an 1100 around and you might consider buying one and altering it for what he needs. Good luck with your project and hope your grandson takes to the sport and does well.

#6 ·
Hi Kolardude......I've been around forums long enough to know a donkey when I hear one! Problem is, there is at least one on every forum???

I did talk to a top shotgun stocker this afternoon and he gave me some good info. Since this is a learning experience for me, I might as well get all the info I can.

Bridger thanks for the heads up about Remington. Now, if you were a stock maker, and your grandson started shooting trap....you think he would want to shoot some other stock? ;)

He is starting this year with the AYSS organization sponsored by the Arkansas Game and Fish. This is a great thing for shooting and kids! I spoke to the director last week and he told me the first year they anticipated 150-175 competitors and ended up with 750. This is the second year and they thought there would be 1200....ended up with 2500.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.