1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Member / Comments and question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by njwoodworker, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

After 19 years off the trap and sporting clays game, I got invited to a SC (dirty word here?) church fundraiser. Having sold my AAT 72 combo and my Red Label, I borrowed a Browning and off I went with reloads 20 plus years old full of reclaimed shot! Shot a 65. After so long I didn't expect to hit a barn let alone targets. Went back 2 weeks later and shot 82. Then, like all trapshooters, went and bought a gun. Got to my old trap club and broke 94 with 70 some straight. You cant imagine how good it felt, well maybe you can!!!
    Think about it. When I left the game, no internet, many gunmakers were giving up, red AA were the best, components were cheap, the only place to talk trap was at the field, and the powders had been around forever.
    Was I happy to find TS.com!
    Now a question. I have gunclub and STS hulls, Federal 209 and 209a primers Clays powder and CB wads . Can someone recommend a 1 and 1&1/8 recipe. the reloading books I have are from the 70's.
    Really enjoy this site / Sorry for the loooong post. Dan Gill

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dan... Books? what are those?

Go to powders on a major serch engine and get the latest skinny. It is all on line. The stuff you ask about is all there and lots of recipes.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Dan, You will find that giving load data on this site is not encouraged. One misquoted formula could lead to disaster, so most posters are directed to the on-line reload data available by the manufacturers. Of course, you can also pick up a reloading manual from a friend, your club, or gun shop. Get it from a reliable source, be safe, and welcome back!

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Dan, welcome to this wonderful site. And the 21st Century of internet power.

Yes, trap shooting is like riding bicycles, you'll never forget how to do it, and it feels good when you come back and try it again.

The main difference of reloading from the old days is, powder companies are more conservative on the data. Prices went up a BIT from the '70s.

Enjoy it.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Setterman. What planet yo been watching yoru TS.com on? There have been probably 100 + recipes on this site every 30 days. Everyone is dosing out the skinny on their fave loads. Even our bud Ed Clapper of Shotgun Sports. And he is a terrific reloader.

Jack

6. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

Thanks so much for the advice. I followed Pat's advice (p3at) and went to Hodgon. Really neat info. I dusted off my 366 loader and will try some of their recipes for the 1& 1/8 loads for tomorrow. Is it my imagination or is the qty of loads for federal primers thin and even thinner for the 1 oz with the components I have.

It's the only primer I have ever used on probably 45k - 50k rounds. I can't remember any / many failures but at 65 there are alot of things I can't remember. The one thing I do remember is this past month or so has been the most fun I had standing up in a long time. I would dry fire at a plane just to see the sight picture when I pulled the trigger.

I can't offer much to this group but I can already see I can learn a lot from you folks.
    Thanks
    Dan

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Dan continue to have fun. You have more to contribute than you think, you reached 65 didn't you? You have many non-shooters posting here so take shooting advice with some thought and the proverbial grain of salt.

Shoot often and have fun doing it.

Don

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the shooting sports Dan. You'll soon notice a few changes from when you were last shooting. Any difference in pricing? LOL. I can remember being upset when lead hit $5 a bag or your metal canisters of powder approached $20. Were they 15 pounds I think. In reality I think it's all relative to todays costs. You'll find a lot of good people on here willing to help. The internet has probably given us our biggest chages to our sport. If you're looking to stir the pot, Please don't ask when we started shooting 2 hole targets. I say that in jest. Have you looked into a trap house and seen the differnce in traps? You're from the good old days of hand set targets and manual pullers. Shooters developed a better relationship with the help I think.

Have fun and shoot often while we can, Bob

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Welcome back to the sport also . Look at all the money you saved in those 19 years !!! Now that it`s getting more expensive , stay with the 1 oz loads because they do break targets . You are welcomed also to Mallard Trap Club in Monroe Twsp if you want to throw some of that lead .

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

RE the primers, Dan, when the Fed. Paper shell was #1 it made perfect sense to use the Fed primer. But now the Winchester and Remington hulls are prized and their primers have to be selling more than ever. Then there's a plethora of foreign primers from Italy, Franace, and so on. With the popularity of really fast burning and super efficient powders, you're bound to find more recipes for the "cooler" primers to keep pressure down without hurting velocity. The Remington primer is considered a "cool" primer and the Winchester "medium." Cheddites from France are a good value and considered roughly equal to Winchesters......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.