1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New member, $99 hatfield shotgun challenge!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by shredjesse, Dec 30, 2016.

1. shredjesse

shredjesse Member

When I saw Walmart had a $99 single shot shotgun, I got interested in the possibility of seeing just what could be done with this thing. Some further research showed some potential, which got me thinking... just how good of a shotgun can I make for as little money as possible? I've already got some nice semi-autos and my girlfriend and I have our own OU's.... but this seemed like a fun challenge!

For those unfamiliar with the hatfield... here's a picture with a general description from me...

[​IMG]

Modified choke barrel. Wood stock (not great). 28" barrel length (enough for Trap) that has a vent rib going for it as well.

It's notorious for kicking like no other, probably due to being lightweight along with having no recoil pad (just a plastic plate). These also are reputed for having an insanely heavy trigger pull. Estimates range from 9-14lbs pull, and I'm inclined to say 12 or so myself.

So that story aside, now i'm here. I'm trying to make this as good of a shotgun for as cheap as I can. Given the nearest competitors all seem to range around at least $1000 (New Tri-star/Stoeger or VERY used BT-99) I've got a lot of headroom before I've made a huge mistake, heh!

2. shredjesse

shredjesse Member

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for cheap Gracoil recoil reducers. There's a post from Dec 6th on here with two people selling them, one for $100. I can't reply to that though until I have 50 posts :(

I'll also happily take on recoil pads that people have bought that wound up not fitting. Heck I'll take almost anything else. I'd really like to get some parts for doing an adjustable comb and trying to put that on here as well. If I could get an adjustable comb, a recoil reducer with a nice buttpad... I think this thing might be pretty decent!

I still have to see how it patterns. I'll get more information on that after my next trip to my local trap club (Vancouver Trap Club!)

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take a look at the trigger and see what needs to be done. HMB

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

As far a recoil is concerned try a 7/8oz load.

5. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Active Member

I tried to build a youth starter gun with a 20 ga H&R. I made a parallel comb stock and fit a 3\4 kickeese pad. Hand loaded 20 ga shells down to 3\4 oz with green dot.
    That H&R still kicks way more than its 20 ga cousins like a 20 ga 1100 Remington. (Found one used for a very good price).
    But even the 20 ga semi auto still seems to wack a shooter harder than a 12 ga 1100 with a 7\8 reload.
    With a 26 inch original fixed choke Rem barrel the 12 ga 1100 is light enough for most new shooters to hold. And with a good pad fitted to a swelled wood stock off eBay you are shooting a gun you are into for very low dollars.
    I commend your research on this and am hopeful the gra-coil will help.
    A good trigger is a huge asset when teaching.
    Getting a tool set up that will introduce new shooters to targets is never a bad endeavor.
    Keep us posted on how this progresses.

6. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

You'll be leaps/bounds ahead by purchasing a used gun for a couple hundred dollars ... tons of used guns on the market.
    I'm sure you could dress up this gun and make it look presentable, but the cold hard truth is that the metallurgy and construction will fail within no time.
    Perhaps you should consider something like a Rem 870 and go from there, lots of aftermarket parts ... these guns will withstand countless shooting and punishment
    Good luck and Happy New Year

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    mike-sid and mg1polo thanked this.
  7. ShotStop

ShotStop Dedicatedto keeping gun clubs open and shooting. Banned

Hmmm, I don't know about these Hatfields. You would be better of buying the real McCoy.

trapp2012, Ed C, Neil Winston and 7 others thanked this.
  8. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

You can put make-up, a beautiful dress and high heels on a pig.....and it's still a pig!

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

If you put enough money into it, it can turn out to be a very beautiful gun like this one that was converted

IMG_1753.JPG

Seriously, if you want to shoot trap? Don't spend your money on the Hatfield. Try to find something better designed to hold up for thousands and thousands of rounds. Their are excellant guns out there that can. Do the job and did do the jobs years ago before Perazzi and Kreighoff. A good used Remington 870 or 1100, Winchester 12, Browning Citori or BT99 are sitting lonely in someone's closet or are offered for sale at a gun club or gun show. They are affordable at 400-600 dollars. Just find someone in you locale that knows something about the gun you are wanting or post here for help to identify problems with a used gun.

If you already bought the Hatfield? Use it for hunting. An occasional 2-3 shots fired yearly will help it last for decades.......maybe.

big kahuna, Gussers, jlmccuan and 3 others thanked this.
  10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Better designed than a K-80, what would that be? HMB

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I say go for it.
    Might wind up being your.....

14639737_559859530881761_4067377446786148919_n.jpg

ric3677 thanked this.
  12. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

Sounds like a fun project to practice your gunsmithing skills. Some smiths make their own parts for an adjustable comb or but plate. If you have a mill and lathe, you can give it a try.
    I have a mill and lathe, but I'd do like someone already suggested, buy a used 870 and go from there. Many parts avaliable.

13. Mka2278

Mka2278 Member

I love the idea, but as others mrntioned, the tough thing is the metal usually won't stand up to the test of that many rounds, unfortunately. But for a winter project or light shooter, this will be fun! Keep us posted on how it works out. I may need to do something similar for my sons!

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The gun is made in Turkey. Take the Hatfield challenge and then take the Troll challenge.

WadHopper and smokintom thanked this.
  15. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

I`ll drink to that and Happy New Year !!!!!!!

16. Carbine2k1

Carbine2k1 Member

I'll be following this thread, just to see what ya come up with. Too bad Walmart doesn't offer that beauty with a high grade pine option haha.

17. shredjesse

shredjesse Member

I think the majority of people in here missed that I already have some pretty solid shotguns heh. Easy enough to overlook I suppose! I've got A Beretta AL391 Xtrema2 KO that I've setup for 3 gun and a Remington 1100 that is new my golden standard for fit and patterning. I've got a Bennelli Nova as well, two of them infact! I'm not on my first shotgun trying to outsmart the man. I'm just futzing around with some spare time!

I hadn't considered to how the metal will hold up. Curious to see how the pattern holds up over time. For the $99 I spent on this, it's a risk I don't mind taking... presuming I can get this thing to kick in a manageable fashion!

18. shredjesse

shredjesse Member

I'd love to know more about that conversion!

I'd also like to know more about a $400-600 BT-99! Haha. I haven't seen them below $750 unfortunately.

19. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Thought you wanted a SBT.

20. shredjesse

shredjesse Member

Fair point! I do and I don't really. I'd not buy one without being able to see how it felt and fit of course. They're just not common enough around here it seems to get that.

I wish the Vancouver Trap Club would do some sort of swap show, with a business on site to do transfers should people wish to buy them (has to be for legal purposes). Would also be nice because people could try a shotgun out for a few shots to see how it patterns before purchase!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017