1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Mec Primer Feed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by duckhunter331, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

Was just wondering how the new mec primer feed works. I have a 9000G with the old spring feed and am getting fed up with it. Is the new one better? Or should I stay with the old spring one.
    Thanks in advance

Travis

2. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I have two 9000G's and one has the old style and the other has the new. The newer is much better and it hold more primers as well. You dont have to mess with the spring and chain which is a plus!

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

my new one has an annoying habit of catching a primer in the "hindge" portion of the drop tube, every 20 shells or so the primer fails to drop, a quick "slap" of the tube and assembly will dislodge the stuck primer which will then fall and roll around the bench, only to be put in manually. I would have reinstalled the old system except that it had mechanical issues and was tossed....

4. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

like most things mechanical may need a tweek hear and their works great holds 200+ primers Frank C may have small bur or paint in tube slick up inside of tube with chain saw file ,I keep tray waxed use pledge keep tube adjusted so primer drops in hole love mine

jpark

5. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

I have switched all my MECs to the new primer feed. It works much better than the old style but does take a little tweaking to have problem free operation. I would switch in a second to the new style.

Frank C: another thing to try is to move the actuating arm (the piece attached to the machines' frame that contacts the plunger on the tray)back a little bit (away from the tray). The arm maybe pushing the primer too far forward so it doesn't drop in the tube but gets jammed. Set the arm so that the primer moves over the hole (drop tube), not slightly past it.

6. Frank C

the primer gets caught in the area that hindges from the tray to the tube, I think that the tube is just too large, allowing the primer to tip and get caught in the seam, no burrs there, just aggravation! I have spent hours trying to figure out why to no avail....

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Make sure that you push the primer tray ALL THE WAY UP after you have loaded it. A little extra nudge before tightening it seems to make a big difference for me. Almost like there's a little 'kink' if I don't do that.

Tim

8. claycrusher

claycrusher Member

Hi,

Where is the best and cheapest place to purchase the new model MEC primer feeder?

Thanks,
    Al

9. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I installed the NEW primer tray about 5 years ago and have not had one bit of trouble.

10. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have two 9000's and each one has the bigger primer feed. They do need a little tweek here and bend there but once they're in place they work great. I did add just a slight touch of grease on the metal arm that attaches to the press and pushes the primer feed bar but don't think it's really necessary. I also wax the plastic tray now and then, makes the primers slide very easy. I like the ability to lay the tray flat when loading the primers, much easier than keeping it on a slope.

11. LeesburgGamecock

LeesburgGamecock TS Member

Anybody know where to get one cheap online?

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Frank, keep tweaking. You shouldn't be having those problems.

Good luck!

Hauxfan!

13. Frank C

I DO believe that it has to do with the fit between the top of the drop tube, and the beveled bottom of the tray. As I remember it, there is no easy way to disassemble the two and see if there is a burr, maybe a paint bubble or ????What??? One or two stuck primers a box is a real pain, especially if you don't see it before the next shell....no daydreaming about 100 str8's for me while I am reloading!

14. crew

crew TS Member

To solve a few problems on mine I used a die grinder and took a little off the bottom of the plastic where the plastic meets the steel tube so now its a little more angle so now the primers slide without problems. I changed the bolt it fastens to the loader to one with an allen head. I heated the tube and bent it just a little so it drops the primer in the right spot and now I got everthing working right. I did load thousands of shells the way it came but got tired of these little problems ,mine was added on to a 9000H. I know one that was given to a friend by someone who wasn't happy but I would get one.

15. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with the old one. Wide chamfer the drop hole, place a piece of 1/16 inch rubber tape on the wall nearest the drop hole so the primer is guided by the rubber tape instead of a radius at the corner of the tray, and a primer will drop every time.

16. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

Try Omaha Sporting Supply

17. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Frank C.

I had the same problem with primers hanging up in the hinge section. I talked to MEC and described the problem and was told that they had a few manufactured with the wrong angle between the tray and the drop tube. They replaced mine and I now have very few primer drop problems. At least with hangups in the hinge area. HarryC

18. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I have about 5 of the new primer feeds in stock ready to ship. I work on a lot of primer trays and the chain continues to keep me busy. Omaha

19. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Omaha, what is the price? GOOD LUCK

20. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Frank call mec you have the early tray. they fixed the problem now There is a guy on feebay that sells mec stuff he lists an email in text he sells direct [till he gets caught by feebay] and has good prices Also Graf and midway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

new mec primer

newprimertrayformec900g