1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW LOCKING BOLT FOR MX8

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by decimamas 54, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

decimamas54_2008_0303185.jpg

decimamas54_2008_0303186.jpg

MX8 locking bolt made in Ergal (aluminum 70/75/T6)
    Price $ 100.00 USD plus shipping

2. decimamas 54

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

3. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I purchased one of Mr. Giuliani's locking bolts to test in my TM1 and installed it last week. I want to use it in mine first before recommending to my friends. I must say that for my gun it's ideal and took very little fitting. I like the material too. So far so good. Mark.

4. decimamas 54

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

I'm curious about the 7075 al alloy which is quite soft.

I wonder how long they will hold up?

I tig mine! they work for about 25,000 rounds.
    Joe

6. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Joe,
    What type of metal do you use to tig yours?

Mark

7. decimamas 54

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Joe, I use Ergal 7075/T6 that has the same property of carbon steel 1040. The locking bolt must be softer than the barrel. The reason why you keep on changing locking bolt with bigger size is because the monoblock is giving away. This locking bolt slows the process.

8. decimamas 54

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

decimamas 54
    Actually the lugs are still soft since I anneal them after welding.

Now how long do yours last! I like the Idea but it seems to me that when I take a bar of T-6 7075 and hit it with a file it's considerably softer than the mono-block. I just would like an idea on the longevity due to the increased wear from the friction of sliding two different harnesses of materials together.

Now I Don't know that's why I'm asking! I know that the T6 is tough enough to hold but I really want to have a better Idea of how well a non standard material like T-6 works It's an interesting concept to me.

Just a quick check and this is what I know the hardness of the T6 is about 150 Brinell and the 1040 when drawn or annealed to 1000 degrees would be 290 brinell or about 30 Rockwell C A lot harder.

Joe

10. decimamas 54

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Gun fitter the idea is just this: the lag must wear out before the monoblock. About how long they last? Well I give you an example: "Campagnolo" with the same material makes crowns for racing bicycles and on it flowing a steel chain. Usually you change the crown every 50.000 Km. If the T6 can stand the friction of a chain for sure can stand a monoblock.
    I know that the idea it's very easy to undersand but very hard to accept but it makes a lot of sense. The gunsmith that told me to do it worked for Perazzi for over 40 years and when he talks, people listen.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

I agree just know an aluminum lug of a softer material will wear faster than a similar or slightly softer steel will. It's a great Idea. Saving monoblock wear. I just wish there were some testing say shooting 10,000 rounds of target loads and measuring the top latch movement; then it would be possible to make an educated guess on longevity.

I wish you luck and if it works it will also be a snap to fit them.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

locking bolt mx8 perazzi

new locking bolt in perazzi mx8