1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New loader needed...which one?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

Been a MEC guy for over 40yrs but have decided I want something else this time. I've had the 366 Hornady and wasn't totally impressed with it either so am thinking about the P-W 800+ or the RCBS Grand. The Spolar would be great but I just can't justify the cost. Any advice or opinions welcomed!

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I bought the Grand after trying the PW and the Spolar. Very happy with it. Would make the same choice again. Do a search on loaders and you'll fins many threads with hundreds, if not thousands of comments.

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I had a Dillon and sold it because of some quirks I could not cure.
    I purchased a P/W 800+ from Whiz White and couldn't be happier.

4. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

John55....."We don't reload shotshells...We remanufacture them!" PONSNESS-WARREN........

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Wish you had the chance to use a Hornady Apex. I really like all my 3.0 and 3.1 loaders. While the 366 is tried and treu - it had some quirks which the Apex really tried to make some great advances on, but for some reasons just couldn't find a following.

I've loaded some shells on the PW, but I like the ability to pull shells out of the rotation when required. Spolar is a beauty and know many who favor the Dillon. Have no experience with the "grand".

The 9000 just doesn't do it for you?!

good luck on your search,

Jay

6. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I used a 366 for years. Two years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a used Spolar Gold. This was the best decision I have made during my shooting career. It is a pleasure to use. You might want to follow the "used" route as this is one machine you will never get tired of using.

7. wivanr

wivanr Member

I talked to owners of the grand and they said they were always having to adjust and tweak there settings.So i purchased a 800 Plus and love it.Since then my friend have converted over to the 800Plus.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dillon is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. I have two and have loaded on them since they came out. 100,000 plus shells. Sure sometimes they need to be tweeked, but not much, once you learn the machine. But, then again so do all the other reloaders. The best service of any company, and free parts forever. By the way, every reloader needs a part now and then, even Spolar. Nothing is bullet proof.

9. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I spent last weekend at the Grand looking at all of them. Spolar, hands down. If I can find the $$$ and I really wish I could afford hydraulic version.

10. len loma

len loma TS Member

PW makes a fine machine. Mec 9000 is OK but if you shoot a lot PW hands down.

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Make certain that your 366 has all the upgrades and load away. I have not found an loader which is stronger or better made. It will last avery very long time and will turn out great shells.

I do have a suggestion for Hornady, however. If they would manufacture a replacement ring which would have a hinged gate at each station so that you could remove the shell from the shell plate at any station they would sell one to every Hornady and Pacific 366 owner.

12. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

2 Mecs in 40 years, next upgrade grabber or 9000.

13. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

800+ PW

14. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Thats just like asking, what car should I buy, what gun should I buy, what is the best shell to use, they are all good, and you could have a minor problem with any of them, or a major problem with any of them.

Trap-4

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

About 98% of adjusting reloaders comes from various issues related to AA-HS hulls.

The other 2% come from 6-point crimps on some black Remingtons.

If you load, exclusively, REM & AA-CF OR exclusively, AA-HS, OR, exclusively, FGM (& etc.) there are almost no adjustment issues with any reloader.

There are a lot of distinctions among the hi-end machines, but not many real differences ... they are ALL boring to operate ... just like they should be.

Bob

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've owned at least a dozen PW's and for the money they're tough to beat. Unfortunately, they do have a few design issues that will make you curse and scream periodically. For the money, I'd go with an 800 Plus and it should last a lifetime.

That said, I'm now the proud owner of two Spolars-both purchased on distress sales and I couldn't be happier. Whether a Spolar is worth the price of two PW's is yours to decide. Since I owned Spolars my vocabulary has improved a little!!

17. John55

John55 Active Member

Thanks to all who have responded, answers are pretty much like I expected! I truly don't think there is a bad reloader on the market, some are just easier to operate and adjust. For the money, I still feel a MEC is a great value but I want something different and I think any of these others would offer me what I'm after. Where is the best place to buy a PW? I can get the RCBS in any number of online shops.

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Whiz White on here. He is a banner supporter and sandbags from 27.

Bob

19. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nobody stated any prices. I'm sure quality commands a higher price in loaders as do vehicles or guns.

20. brigade

brigade TS Member

Don't make excuses get a SPOLAR, the best. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.