1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

New Load Idea

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RemingtonReloader, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

I'm thinking of trying this out: STS hull, Remington Primer, 17 grains Alliant E3 powder, WindJammer WJII-12100 wad, and 1oz of Lawrence #8's... Good? Bad? Ugly? -Aaron Schneider
  2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Stick with loads that are published. Experimenting can be a dangerous game. The powder companies have people that test the published loads so you don't have to be a Guinea pig. At least call Alliant and ask their opinion on your load. If it is a published load already, then have at it.
  3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You're such a buzz kill Matt.

Bryan
  4. grntitan

A safe buzz kill......
  5. RemingtonReloader

This loads published other than the WindJammer wad... Will it really be that substantial if I swap the Remington for the WindJammer? -Aaron Schneider
  6. hmb

hmb Active Member

It might cause the Moon to leave orbit and crash into the Earth. HMB
  7. RemingtonReloader

Thanks HMB but you're a little late, the moon's already in my living room. -Aaron Schneider
  8. RemingtonReloader

Wait! I found the exact recipe I was thinking of trying published on Windjammer's site, but it uses a CCI primer. Will the moon fly out of my living room if I put in a Remington instead? -Aaron Schneider
  9. hmb

hmb Active Member

If the shoe fits, wear it. HMB
  10. RemingtonReloader

Well, the primer fits, does that mean use it? -Aaron Schneider
  11. hmb

hmb Active Member

It depends on the phase of the Moon. HMB
  12. grntitan

Well if you were just gonna load it and shoot it anyway, why ask??
  13. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

Don't waste your time doing anything with Remington primers as they're history. Just forget the Remington primers part, and you're good to go.
  14. tammike

tammike Member

I bet you could load 17 grains of any powder for shotgun shells behind any wad with any primer and it will go bang safely . As long as we are talking 12ga. 1 oz loads. just saying
  15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Active Member

Matt ask yourself a question. If a person come to this website and asks reloading questions from those that are here. He has never before in his life seen those that are answering his questions.

He doesn't know any of them why would he take advice from them???? After all just look at the answers he is getting from hmb....LOL. I wonder if they sound rational to him? If so nothing you or I can say will make any difference what so ever.

He asks,

"Will it really be that substantial if I swap the Remington for the WindJammer?"

I can't find it published on the powder manufactures website for either Remington wad, all I am getting is "

"There are no Recipes that match your criteria." What part of do not use don't you understand Aaron?????

Bob Lawless
  16. RemingtonReloader

I never said I was going to load them and shoot them, I just have a ton of Remington primers, and its published on Windjammer's website with a cci primer... I understand now that you say that it ain't safe, IT AINT SAFE. That's all I needed to hear. I just paid more money than I have ever had to my name for a new trap gun and that, nor my own life is worth a couple experimental shells. I'm not stupid or ignorant, just trying to see if I could make something out of nothing. Apparently I can't. Thanks for telling me flat out that it isn't safe. All I needed to hear. -Aaron Schneider
  17. grntitan

Aaron,

I didn't say that load wasn't safe. What I said, is experimenting with components not listed as a published load could be dangerous. Basically you never know what the pressure is doing when you change things. It's not likely gonna blow your gun up with one shot. If it happened to be on the high end of the pressure scale it could end up making your gun fail over time and with repeated use of the load. The best method when wanting to know if a component swap is safe is to simply call the powder company and tell them exactly what you would like to do. They will be happy to give you the correct answer. If its not safe, they will tell you and vice versa if it's ok to swap the components. I just believe in playing it safe that's all.
  18. RemingtonReloader

Thank you, I understand. -Aaron Schneider
  19. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

The loads safe I use.it for 16s with a cci primer. The primer wont makr a HUGE difference
  20. RemingtonReloader

I'd better just go ahead and call Alliant... -Aaron Schneider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.