1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Learning Curve

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by highway, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highway

highway Member

I shot a few rounds tonight after being off for eye surgery for the last two months. I had my cataracts removed and something else (laser) to re-round my eyeballs. While the targets looked as big as basketballs and clear as crystal, I only shot a 20 abd 21 from the sixteen. The scorer said it looked like I was underneath the birds.

Have any of you with similar surgery had to relearn or change anything to compensate for the new view. I'm not worried, just intrested in what you might have to say.

It was pretty cold tonight and I was not dressed well enough. This may have slowed me down or messed up my brain/eye connetions. I can tell you this. It's really something to actually see the targets and not to be shooting at blurs.

Thanks,

Roger

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You might consider patterning the gun to see if something changed in the eye-gun-target equation due to the surgery, or even if your perception of what you are seeing has changed.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I can tell you this with some authority. Scorers always tell you that you are "shooting under the birds". Unless a person is standing directly behind you and in line with your gun, it is virtually impossible to tell where the shot pod goes.

So dismiss the scorer comment.

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

There are VERY few times when you can determine where the shot charge flies. Can you see a bullet in the air? The best way to do this is to determine this yourself. If you suspect you are shooting low, try intentionally shooting over the targets. If that doesn't work then try intentionally shooting lower. Once you start getting pieces of the target then you can make finer adjustments until you are consistently hitting them. I think we all do this subconciously.

I prefer to practice by myself because I can work on things like this without disturbing others. I am NO authority, but that is just how I do it, maybe it will work for you.

5. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Roger:
    In the past year two trap shooters had their cataracts removed. It took both of them about 1 month to get back into full form and now they are well beyond their pre-surgery performance.
    Time spent on station 3 locked into straight aways will help you regain and reprogram your eye to mind settings. Just read the bird breaks to see if you are high or low or left or right.
    Good Luck and glad you are seeing those birds well.

BTW, did you change your shooting glasses yet? I suspect you went from prescription lenses to non-prescription lenses. If so, that is also a change you will have to get used to.

Art

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm almost 73 and have worn prescription shooting glasses for over 50 years. I am near sighted and definitely have a different sight picture when I mount my gun with or without the RX glasses. Without the glasses I see more rib between the beads. A good friend is shooting better than ever since he had cataract surgery.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Until you check POI on a board, you are wasting ammo. I prefer the Winston Method, which is to shoot from 13 yds.

8. highway

highway Member

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to try and be patient. I will re-pattern and see where the shot is going and as I think about it, this may be the most important thing I can do.

I have always worn prscription shooting glasses (Bushnell) and just got my new ones two days ago. The lens implants came close, but no cigar. The surgeon said he did a little too much work to get by without glasses. I am still so amazed at the things I am seeing that I find myself staring all the time. I have not seen buds on trees for years. The targets were so so big and glaring that I am sure I was shooting late as well as off.

This is kind of like that Cole Younger statement--"What a wonderment" -- I did shoot a double on two mallard drakes out of the pit today. That felt good.

Roger

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Avaldes
    We shoot a lot under the lights. Shot can be seen by the naked eye very easily.
    Clyde

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes, I had the same exact problem when I had mine done. Then all of a sudden last Saturday it started clicking. Then I went out on Wednesday and just smoked everything, 73/75 at the sixteen and 49/50 at the 22 with no chips. And I changed nothing on my gun. Perhaps, my brain just had to get use to really seeing the targets once again. Maybe I'll make the 27 once again, now that I can see. Amazing results. For anyone that is considering having their cataracts removed and Lasik surgery done. Go for it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.