1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New lead problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of discussion concerning China using lead for electric motorcycles (last count 28 companies). Well, check out "Brammo Motorsports" and their new electric motorcycle made in Portland Or. The price will skyrocket for lead when American companies start getting involved in the market. Now it's happened.

2. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I think Sara Brady is behind this stuff......

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Nyttro,

Definitely not for Nuclear reactors.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Chicoms???
    Odd name for their ruling oligarchy.

China bought lead ore and produced refined lead. They used a lot of the lead, and exported the rest.

Now China uses more lead. But Australia has stopped shipments of lead ore from the lead mine that accounts for 3% of the World lead ore production. Birds are dying don't you know.

China no longer imports or produces enough lead ore to meet their needs. So they have slapped a 10% export duty on lead exports to insure sufficient lead for their domestic use.

So, China was both a lead importer (lead ore) and a lead exporter (refined lead). Isn't that what's called adding value? Isn't that the classic way to turn a profit?

That doesn't make it their "fault", anymore that it is USA's "fault" when the price of anything we consume rises.

The classic chicoms couldn't figure that out. Since Teng, the ruling elite in China has that figured. Why they still call themselves Communist beats me.

It must be Australia's fault. Let's blame them.

5. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

The last year I worked , a job I happened to work on was a local hospital , St. Peters in New Brunswick NJ and they were building a new xray room/building and they had about 4 tractor trailor loads of lead that I saw , of interlocking bricks ( 2x4x8 ??) that were being used as interior walls and also the complete roof and I believe was 2 bricks deep . I tried to get the scraps from the guy on the chop saw but he said they all went back to the foundry to get melted down and back into bricks . This was in the states but I didn`t get all the details so the lead isn`t all going to China . There is a big demand for it here . Maybe someone else has an idea where there is a lead foundry .

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Don't know about a foundry but there is a tremendous call for lead in the medical field as shielding materials. I helped to build a facility that treated cancer with radiation and the facility came in pods that we basically snapped together. The pods that were around the radiation machine were coated with a lead shield that was at least two inches thick. Dan

7. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Don't blame us in OZ , we izz bein robbed too. Lead prices here have hit $40 Australian for 22lb. That is about equivalent to $40 US for 25lb

8. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

Now that I thought about the hospital job I was working at , it was for cancer radiation treatment . May be why the need for such thick walls and roof . MRI room in Princeton Hospital was lined with copper sheets and most xray rooms only need 1/8 lead or less but it`s still needed in all doctors and dental xray rooms .

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Texshooter- We certainly need more lead mines and refineries but Government regulation prohibit such an operation in the USA. The community of Galena Kansas will remain rather small due to these regulations.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.