1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Lawnmower ?????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ntgr8, Jun 11, 2013.

1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Need to buy a new riding lawn mower. I have a 1 acre lot so with the house flower gardens and stuff I mow about 3/4 of an acre. The lot is level with few trees. The local guy sells Simplicity brand. My question is Simplicity ok? Are other brands better? I don't want to get the price of a new truck into a mower. Are the John Deers at Home Depot same as the Deers at the dealer? Also would like to get a rider that is easy on the back, the one I have now has no suspension system except for the tires.

_Problem solved. Bought a slightly used Cub Cadet model 1050 50" deck. 130 hours, $1,000, good for the rest of my life. Thanks to all for their input.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have a Cub Cadet with a 48" deck. Been using it for 10 years. I send it into the dealer in the spring for general maintenance (about $75.00) and it always works great.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Here are some manufactures.

Are the John Deers at Home Depot same as the Deers at the dealer? The price should tell you the answer to that.

What's your top dollar amount?

I for one would stay with a brand name like a Cub Cadet so if there were any problem in the future you don't have to trace who the manufacture was.

4. chemist

chemist Member

buy it from a dealer that is local and can service it. HD and LOWES sell but do not repair. Dollars saved may not be worth the trouble if warrantee work needed. Recently many brands are now owned by one company. Consumer model and landscaper models not always equal. They are all plasticified in my opinion.

JMO

rich k

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a Dixon Zero turn. I have almost 2 acres of grass and it is very quick but I dont like it. If you get a zero turn there are better ones out there

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I just went thru this last year. I/we mow a bit over 5 acres so my needs are different, but the tractor's are the same. As I understand the yard tractors, most all of them are assembled in the same plant. I know that I purchased replacement parts for my old tractor that would fit Deer and several others.

I decided on a Cub Cadet 1054 with a 27 hp Kohler because of it's reviews in Consumer's Digest, and it's tight turning radius. We have trees and hills. It has a hydrostatic trans that was a concern, but has been good so far. The blades are running at high RPM all the time which really improved the cut.

I understand what you mean about suspensions. I couldn't find a true suspension mower when I looked. Our Cub is fixed, but the low pressure tires help a lot.

Good luck with what ever you decide. You really don't have to spend a fortune if you don't want to.

Kip

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

Deere's new D105 Auto is budget-priced and will fill your need nicely. The new auto trans should get you away from the hydrostatic transmission problems so prevalent of late. You do get more than green and yellow paint with JD, namely a ready source of parts and service for a lot of years. I can get any part I need for my 1976 214 at almost any JD dealer.

8. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I would buy from and recommend my Simplicity dealer before buying from a large box store only because he will warranty, service, and treat me as a good customer. Your opinion, and other dealer's may vary, but I've bought many tools and parts from him over the years. It's a little more expensive, but I don't mind. He's rebuilt motors out of warranty for me two times and got the manufacturer to send the parts for free under warranty. I paid for the labor. That in itself was worth the little extra I paid for other machines.

9. alchemist

alchemist TS Member

Since your lot is level, Simplicity may be more than you need. I have had one for 8 years and have had no troubles. Since I mow 2 acers and my lot is anything but level, I bought the Simplicity. The deck will tilt up to 11 degrees but you do not need this for a level lot.

Buy from a dealer, not a box store. Lowe's and Home Depot do not service any of their mowers. John Deer would be a good choice for you. I would not buy a zero turn since your lot is not that big.

Bob Snell

10. Tom421

Tom421 TS Member

Get John Deere 360 with power steering and you will be very happy. I believe they have 0% financing to boot.

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Skip the Big Box Store.... Get a JD, Cub or Simplicity and mow away for the next 15 years.

My JD LT133 (13hp Kohler) is 18 years old and going strong. I have not put more than $250 in it except for oil changes.

SW

12. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

We have an ExMark for our Club which mowable acres is probably about 5 or so. They have been great mowers all around. We spent 10K on this last one but I cannot remember the model right now. I hate my local Lowes with a passion and could care less if it burnt to the ground today, those people know nothing about mowers and could care less about you or service needs later. I have a Simplicity snow blower that is fantastic and have never looked back. I also use Stihl power equipment. I does not pay to buy stuff like I mentioned at the box stores!

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

My lot is 1 1/4 acres and not at all level. The cub has been excellent !

14. John 53

John 53 Member

I mow 3 acres that is fairly flat, but with a few trees. My Cub was doing the job but taking forever. I went to a dealer, and bought a 61" cut HUSQVARNA. It has great speed and cut my mowing time by 2/3. Went from 6 hours to 2 hours!

The other thing about the Husqvarna is it carries a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the DECK! That is what mostly sidelines mowers, so the little bit more I paid for the dealer should pay off in the long run.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Jophn

15. Trap4

Trap4 Member

The Club Cadet zero turn with the Steering wheel, my wife lives it soo much that I am not allowed to mow.

Trap4

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My wife does all the mowing with the 4720 John Deere I bought her with a 72" 7 Iron belly mower, as a matter of fact she is picking up a new set of blades and a belt for it as I type

66HP is just a little too much for the belt when the blades get dull

But she likes the air conditioned cab

17. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Simplicity mowers are great machines. I still use one that was purchased in 1968. Model 728 Broadmower, 36" cut, 8hp. The only riding mower I ever owned.

18. DJM

DJM Member

I have a 2000 model Craftsman 20HP with a 42" deck to cut my acre of grass the last 14 years. Except for one battery and blade sets I have not had any trouble. Still has the original belt. One thing about Sears is they will have the spare parts should you need them. But I do I wonder what relevance my year 2000 Craftsman endorsement have on the 2013 models for sale there now?

19. SBray

SBray Active Member

We bought a Simplicity 42" rear bagger ride mower in 1993. I looked at every ride mower on the market. The Simplicity was the only one that had heavy metal frame parts and grease fittings. It is still running strong. I keep it in a storage building out of the elements. I don't know if their mowers are still made with the same quality in mind.

A couple of years ago, we got a Hustler zero turn mower that was very well made but was not a rear bagger. I was told I could add the bagger later if I was not happy with the mulching capabilities. When I went back to the dealer, they could not offer a rear bagging assembly, so for now, I use the Simplicity on the front and back lawns, and the Hustler in the fields. The Hustler works much faster.

Steve

20. boneylegs

boneylegs TS Member

I would buy a mower that has an in home repair service, some time it is hard to get to a repair shop. I bought mine from Sears and with an extended warranty I am on my second one and am very satisfied Stan

Search tags for this page

cub cadet 1330 carb