1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New law passed for handguns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by The Jeep God, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jeep God

The Jeep God TS Member

I live in michigan and was wondering if the handgun fight that was just won will effect us and how someone might think it will affect us? I am not unfamiliar with guns and rifles and I was thinking of buying a semi-automatic 40 cal pistol.

2. KDP

KDP TS Member

Get yourself a good gun that shoots big bullets. You need to protect yourself. It is for sure the Police can't protect you. Remember, if you need help and you wait for the police and you don't have your own protection you most likely will be a statistic by the time they arrive--if they arrive at all.

3. KDP

KDP TS Member

Get yourself a good gun that shoots big bullets. You need to protect yourself. It is for sure the Police can't protect you. Remember, if you need help and you wait for the police and you don't have your own protection you most likely will be a statistic by the time they arrive--if they arrive at all.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "When seconds count, the police will be there in minutes!"

5. The Jeep God

The Jeep God TS Member

LOL yes I kind of figured on that one considering it took over three hours for the police to arrive after a lady was robbed @ a store near where I used to live. She said the assailants stayed in the parking lot for about a hlaf hour too! I really was wondering more about how the new findings in D.C. might affect us? Will it be easier for us to own a handgun? I have no fellonies or anything so it should be pretty easy. I think 40 cal. is big enough. I want it for target shooting and home protection. I used to have an old semi-automatic 357 but I sold it when I went into the military,

Todd

6. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

What the hell is a semi auto 357?

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

For all states...

The Supremes said you have the right to have a handgun in the home for self protection. Those states that turn down handgun permits (where required) without just cause, will need to re-write there laws to reflect this.

In New York, as example, you have to prove to the state why you want a permit. The state will have to change this. They will have to prove why you cannot have a permit, such as being a felon. First statements from state and NYC officials is they see no need to change the law.

Also, if you claim you have firearms in the home for self protection the state cannot require you to secure the guns with trigger locks or store in a safe.

If you have one or two firearms, you will most likely get away with not using trigger locks, but if you have a dozen, they may go after you for not securing the majority.

Other than the above, nothing has changed...

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Auto Mag made a .357 and .44 auto mag. They can fetch a good price to the right buyer. They also came in barrel sets much like the Desert Eagle. As far as the DC ruleing.....Its unclear as far as how restrictive they can be on what TYPES of guns you will be able to purchase. If you read over the new "weapons ban" the house is pushing. It would include revolvers as the auto matically load a shell with each pull of the trigger.

10. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

The decision by the U.S. Supreme court had an affect on D.C. as well as the U.S. in some of it's definitions. Yes it can directly affect you if your state is anti-handguns. It may take time to get the laws turned around. From my understanding the NRA is going state by state to get laws in line with the U.S. Supreme Court Ruling.

Brian is right: When seconds counts law enforcement is just minutes away. Law Enforcement agencies are experiencing cuts and many are having trouble finding good officers for the amount of money they pay.

I told the sheriff in our county that on a good day a deputy would be 20 minutes away so we must take care of problems ourselves. He didn't disagree.

Look at the law in Missouri on the Castle Doctrine. I believe it's a good law. As for a gun, carry the biggest caliber you can shoot accurately.

As for our household, my wife came from an anti-gun family. While she was a matron she needed to learn the basics of a handgun. After her first shot she was hooked. After moving to a more friendly gun state, she has become very efficient with handgun, deer rifle, shotgun, both trap and "other", along with a "patrol rifle". She carries a .45 ACP, 5" barrel, high capacity. Feel free to e-mail. Michael

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

In 1994 Sig-Sauer and Federal Cartridge introduced the .357 Sig. Its basically a S&W .40 cal. necked down to .355". Most semi-auto gun makers have a .357Sig. Glock, Sigarms, Desert Eagle, Magnum Research etc.

12. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

actually a .357 sig is a .3555 bullet thats why the most common size is 125 grs ,over the 124 9mm,either way a great cartridge!love it in my G-33!but that is the reason most guys that reload them have trouble with bullet seating.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Your question:

"I live in michigan and was wondering if the handgun fight that was just won will effect us and how someone might think it will affect us? I am not unfamiliar with guns and rifles and I was thinking of buying a semi-automatic 40 cal pistol."

Answer. No, it should not affect you as the Michigan State Constitution already is clear on your right to keep and bear arms. Michigan is already a "right to carry" state. Meet the requirements and you will be issued a license to carry. Follow the purchase requirements (permit to purchase) and you may purchase a handgun(s).

jc

Hell, Michigan

14. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Maclellan1911, are they trying to outlaw revovlers cause they load a round with each pull of the trigger? I might be wrong, but I thought a revolver UNLOADED a round with each pull of the trigger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.