1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** NEW***KOLAR T/A MAX TOP SINGLE!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bob Schultz, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

How cool is this! KOLAR has a new adjustable rib Top single combo and I have them in stock! Pictures will be here later today.

This gun feels great! I have one on my Kolar now and love it! Impact points from 60/40 to a tad over 100% with the beads stacked tight. Higher shooting ribs aailable soon for the super high shooters.

Stay tuned for more information and pictures!

Bob Schultz

2. Bob Schultz

Hope this comes through OK. Kolar sends a weight kit to balance the barrel how you like it. 3 different weights. Can't wait to run a couple of hundred shells through it this weekend!

Bob Schultz

3. Bob Schultz

Put in larger picture above, Bob

4. Bob Schultz

Just a few more notes on the top single. Kolar has made the top single about 2 oz. heavier than the 32" O/U barrel. Virtually all of that weight is behind the barrel hangar under the forend, which means the weight is between your hands rather than out in front. The gun moves very nicely to the target...at least on my Terry Jordan wall chart! I'll take the 3 weights supplied by Kolar to the range Saturday and see which one is going to feel the best for me.

Jeff Mainland and the guys at Kolar are really excited about this top single. Me too! there are those of us who for whatever reason don't deal with the high rib unsingles. Not that I can't shoot it, just that there are some visual issues with seeing all that rib with my left eye. Probably more of a "head case" than one in reality...but it's my head. I guess I use the end of the barrel more than most.

Reports on Saturday's shooting will be here late Saturday. Stay tuned for furthur updates.
    Bob

5. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Bob,
    That gun looks really nice! I am with you on the top single. Too much rib, that is why I love my Infinity #213. Bump for Bob
    Matt Woodson

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Can't tell from the pictures, but does it have an adjustable rib/barrel?

Looks great!

Hauxfan!

7. Bob Schultz

Rusws.

Yes, the on button is toward the shooter and away from the trap house. I'm keeping the "barely used un-single" as my gun will also serve duty as the try-gun for my customers. It has the standard stock so almost any right hander could shoot it.

The relsults from Saturday and Sunday practice with the new gun are as follows.

Singles: 23,24,25,25,25,24 Conditions were ok but gusty winds made for some interesting targets. I used .035 choke (full) as I was interested in finding exactly where this gun was shooting. I lowered the impact point after the second round to just a fuzz over 100% and that seemed to do the trick. NO recoil issues with a wood stock. I have been shooting Precision Fit stocks for a long time but this gun has very light recoil even with 3 dram loads.

Handicap: 22,23,24,24 Shot handicap today only. Gusty winds and bouncy targets made 27 yards a bit dicey! Again used the .035 choke with no rib change from yesterday (100%) Shot Kemen 3dram #7.5 and some Fioochi paper 3 dram #8 with equal success. Hits targets hard with nice even breaks. I'll put some Nitros and AA Silver bullets through the gun Wednesday and post how they do in comparison. I had 4 AA Silvers in my shell bag and shot them during one round and the breaks were fine but 4 shells really isn't enough to make a decision on how they perform.

I'll keep up the tests and keep you posted here.

Bob Schultz

8. Bob Schultz

Well the results are in ... I won the singles on Thursday and Friday at the Dogwood Open with the new top single. (99 - 100 + 150 in shootoff/carryover) Real happy with the guns performance in singles.

Handicap is a toughter learning curve. Thursday 86. Friday 90. Saturday 93 Sunday 93. Broke 49 of the last 50 on Sunday so the gun is bginning to feel like I own it. 95,96,95 in doubles for the week...nothing to brag about but its coming around.

Overall the gun shoots better than its owner. ( Seldom the arrow...more often the Indian!) I think now I have a total of 1400 targets through it (1000 of which are registered) so the findings thusfar are:

1. It has very modest recoil. (Shot AA Silver and Nitro Golds on handicap.)

2. The weight kit for the top single is great. Easy to balance the gun for the individual shooters needs.

3. Release trigger from Kolar is smooth and reliable with a crisp set and release.

4. Adjustable ribs allow for easy setup of POI for both O/U and top single.

5. .750 bre choke tubes put a serious hurt on targets! Pattern board results seem to support the quality of the chokes workmanship.

6. I think the standard stock needs to be a bit higher for the high gun shooter, however Jeff and John at Kolar are building one even as we speak that will address this issue. Folks like me who shoot a tall stock will not have to have a pile of washers under the comb to get the sight picture they want. It will come as a no charge option if so desired.

Well thats about it for now. Thanks for reading and don't forget to visit our website above for some great specials and some pretty engraved Perazzis!

Bob Schultz

9. Bob Schultz

Click on the website above for more pictures of the Kolar. Remember to right-click "refresh" if you have been to the website before! Otheerwise you might be seeing the old stuff!

Thanks,

Bob

10. Bob Schultz

PS. If you click on the small gun pictures you will go to a larger one!

Bob

11. Bob Schultz

12. Bob Schultz

Jack,

The picture above is my gun. it has the factory stock (#1) that came on the gun. I have the comb up about 5/8" now as I shoot a high POI with the rib all the way down in front. Kolar will make a higher stock soon. I'll post a picture of the O/u later today. It is the softest shooting gun I have ever owned! To be honest I have no idea what LOP is on the gun ... my guess would be about 14 3/4 (I generally go by feel and performance rether than measurements). Don't really know the drop at the comb either ... I adjust the rib and the comb 'till the beads look right and the target smokes and forget about it. Again, my guess would be around 1 3/8" drop at the comb.

Thanks,

Bob

13. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Ok Bob-put on your tap dancing shoes--I know you are an authorized Infinity dealer---how about an honest heads up comparison of the T/A MAX TOP vs the Infinity--believe it or not I don't want to paint you in a corner---I've been to Dennis twice--I'm a little prejudiced---but I would love to hear your view---Phil

14. Bob Schultz

Phil,

No dancing shoes needed here ... I'm not running for office so no spin. Dennis DeVault and I have been friends and doing business together for many years. I ahot one of his Mach-One guns for a couple of years back around 2001. Shot it well too! The Infinity is a great single barrel gun and the one I shot toasted 24x25 from the back fence the first time I shot it! Very fast, ultra reliable and Dennis and his company are truly service oriented.

Why am I not shooting one? Well, I have never had a combo set that I could shoot. K-80 I had shot the O/U like a bandit and was never happy with the Unsingle, Perazzi I had I liked the top single (MX10) but the O/U and I did not get along well. So, when Kolar told me the top single was coming I thought it might be my chance to shoot BOTH well. So far so good. I'm generally impressed with the gun and its handling qualities. A bit more dialing-in with handicap and I think we have a winner!

Thank you for reading my posts. I hope I have answered your questions. Would you like to buy my MX2000-RS O/U 34' with Kerry Allors barrel work,a double release trigger and a Precision fit stock?

Break em all!

Bob Schultz

15. Bob Schultz

Allems double release.

Bob

16. Bob Schultz

Some furthur updates on the Kolar adventure.

We just got back from the Missouri state shoot and pleased to report the attendance was good and close to last years numbers. We sold some guns, about the average amount for a shoot like this so thanks to all my customers for your support and business.

I realized I was seeing the barrel jump up quite a bit more than my previous gun (Seitz) and went to talk to Dave DeBerry at Top-line Porting. He has done porting work for me since aquiring the business from Ron and Patty Young. His work as thiers was, is great. He suggested that porting would flatten out the barrel jump and percieved recoil so I let him put ports on the top single.

(Hearing choruses of Handels Messiah...) Halelulia! Barrel jump is GONE and the felt recoil is really lower. I shot Nitros for the last handicap and had no discomfort or percieved barrel jump at all. Now we're getting somewhere.

At the practice traps back home this past Wednesday I shot 100 targets with assorted handicap loads and things are looking good. I think I have this gun where I want it for now. I'll post any changes made in the future.

To recap what I've done to the gun to make it to my liking:

1. Recoil reducer in the butt. 8 - 14 ounces to your liking.

2. Port the O/U and the top single.

3. Changed the pad to a gooey rocker style pad (personal preference)

There you have it. I'll see y'all in the shootoffs!

Bob Schultz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar max trap top single

kolar top single

kolar top single shotgun