1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Kolar Single Barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Woods, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

To be obvious, All these adjustments are very new to me. My first registered targets humbled me to say the least. Assume I am shooting under my targets.
    To adjust this I should lower the rib & raise the stock comb. Please instruct. Upon acquiring the gun I decided I would shoot it the way it came. In practise the 16 yd targets seemed to be a-ok. I was mistaken.With a new gun a man has to start somewhere. I am definately starting at the bottom. In over 50,000 registered targets I think I just shot my lowest score. No where to go but up.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. Bridger

Bridger Member

Joe, you've no doubt read the instruction manual which tells you to turn the rib adjustment nut counter clockwise to raise the point of impact. I guess the best way is to spend some time at the patterning board to see where it is shooting now and what the adjustments do for you. Some people on this board have stated how well they did with this gun right from the start. I didn't do so well with mine at first either but after a couple of months of shooting it I started to get the confidence I needed and now I'm very happy with it. I'm not sure where Kolar sets the point of impact as it comes from the factory, probably around 60/40, but I do know that if you can't get it to shoot high enough they have a higher rib they will exchange for you. Good luck with the gun, I hope you end up liking it as well as I like mine.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Use the patterning board and get it shooting where your old P gun shoots as suggested above. It has been a challenging ordeal for me Joe, but things are starting to come together and the Kolar is a joy to shoot. It will be worth it for you in the end. Bill Malcolm

4. Beretta687EELL

MIA, I probably could have saved myself a bunch of time, aggravation and shells, if I had followed the advice that you and Bridger gave Joe. My good friend, Barbara Sheldon, asked me if I had patterned the gun, "no" I said, "why not" said she, "cause" said I ... then she started making "Oink" noises at me and inferring that I was pig-headed (LOL). Well, I had to wait at least another week before I patterned it ... so there (LOL).

I spoke with Kelly at Kolar yesterday and he suggested bench resting the gun when patterning.

I'm still short yardage, so I don't change anything. I have an unsingle combo and shoot doubles too, not very well mind you. That is all starting to come together. I guess it all boils down to being able to find what works for you and sticking to the plan. Bill Malcolm

5. Joe Woods

Thankyou gentlemen. Your support & instruction are appreciated.

Joe Woods/Ontario

6. nicky

nicky Member

joe, i purchased a kolar t/s at the p.a. state shoot. out of the box i shot a 93 in caps from the 26yd line, the next day in the 200 singles shot a 100/98 having never shot a 16 yd. target before with it,then a 91 in caps the next day. got home and went to the pattering board, gun was shooting approx. 70/30 my old gun shot approx. 80/20 to 90/10 so i adjusted the kolar to the same,"wrong". cap's went to a 83,81,83. went back to a approx. 70/30 cap. scores starting to go back up.my finding - gun weight,trigger speed,balance,gun fit,target presentation down rib,and all else, what it is on paper is not what it is down range(it's close but not the same)when shooting a moving target.give yourself time to adjust,a couple thousand targets.i have a saying, (never shoot practice go train, practice is repetiton of what you do well,go train and improve you game).in all the kolar t/s is the finest trap gun i have ever owned or shot.wish you success, kevin

7. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

Hi Joe. Being a Kolar shooter since 98, I have found that having both the comb and rib to adjust can be somtimes too much to deal with. I would suggest that you start with the comb and get a comfortable gun mount. Don't worry about beads for now. Then get a dial caliper and measure from the top of the rib to the bottom of the barrel, write it down in a piece of paper. Then set a trap machine on stright aways. Shoot a few targets working the top and bottom edeges to find out where it's shooting. To raise point of impact, lower the rib measurement. Raise the rib to make it shoot flater. Don't try to adjust both comb and rib at any one setting. I have found that if you add spacers under the comb to make it shoot higher, you can measure the spacers and change the rib (up) by the same amount and get back to the same point of impact.
    Once you get targets smoking, write the measurment of the rib hight down so that you can always return to a known setting. Lots of luck. Dave Mishler

8. bas

bas Member

Everyone has "their" way of getting the gun to shoot "where you are looking". I think you should start with the comb to get the type of sight picture you are comfortable with. Then, you can adjust the POI by adjusting the rib. The Kolar will move much differently than your P gun. I don't know if you got the Unsingle or the T/S. The T/S moves incredibly fast (at least it seems like that to me) than the Unsingle and Unsingle was quick. Then shoot nothing but straightaways and "fine" tuning until you are ink balling the target. Remember...small adjustsments....Good luck and good shooting.

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

That was an "Oink Oink" moment!

Talk about pig headed! (8^)

HEY WATCH IT! I resemble that remark.

10. Beretta687EELL

Thanks Zardozforty ... I will have to ask her about that, next time she infers that I am a little stubborn (sorry hoggy). I'm surprised that she hasn't chimed in on this thread. Bill Malcolm

11. Joe Woods

Thankyou for all your help. I took everybody's suggestions. Spent yesterday afternoon at the club. Did all of the above. Started with pattern board and advanced to straightaways.

Thankyou all For Your Time/Thought I was all aloan With This problem
    hope We meet some day. Genuine problem.Genuine Advise!!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.