1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New kid timing his shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Nice kid and his Dad at the club once a week. Competes with his Dad. They have one gun. Noticed kid was shooting real fast and missing allot. Broke 10 targets. Dad beat him. Guess his experiment with shooting fast is over, but what should he do instead? Here's what I came up with:

"Let your eyes tell you when to shoot."

Hold hands up like have a gun, but don't use a gun.

Look right at the kids eyes and hold my eyes there.

Swing through from one side, when get there, pull imaginary trigger and say, "ksh" (sound of the shot). Repeat from other side, then from below for a straight away. Note my eyes stay on his eyes the whole time.

"Notice how I keep my eyes on the target and see when to fire through my peripheral vision?"

If kid doesn't change, show him with real targets. Kid stands in front and watches my eyes, no gun. He may have to stoop. Have him be the shooter.

His Dad will provide the competative motivation.

Joe

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You first learn to crawl, then walk then run.

You first learn gun safety, sighting, eye and finger control, gun control and then timing. He is trying to run before he learns to crawl. He also needs to learn in time he will beat dad on the field.

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

At a local private trap an eight year old shoots a .410 - began when he was six. His results vary, but the gun fits him and he's comfortable.

How about allowing the young guy a chance to start early or stay late and setting the trap on straight-aways. Give him a chance to take the hook before he sours? Perhaps they'll realize he needs a gun that fits HIM. We need more young shooters, give them some space to grow.

JT

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Fit and impact. If it fits and shoots where he's looking speed is not always the issue. 60 year olds telling a 14 year old he shoots too fast is often misleading!!

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

He's shooting out of control, speed and control comes with practicing the basics with a gun that fits. Probably saw some hotshot breaking them pretty quick and tried to imitate what he saw. Hap

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Hap's right about one thing. If he's shooting before he's on the target and recklessly he needs work!!

7. Hap MecTweaks

As my good friend always says, "I finally caught up with that target, but, my gun was empty", how telling!! Hap

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Fast is a term often used but two people(and/or) more have different views of what "fast" really amounts to.

His gun definetly cannot fit both him and his dad and likely does not fit either. POI most likely is incorrect for one or the other and most likely both.

After the above has been appropriately corrected then you can work with him on the basics. It is possible this young gentleman has superb reflexes and it seems right for him to shoot the target quickly. Ever watch oriental/asian shooters? But regardless of his execution of the shot, if the gun is not properly set up for him then the basics will do little for his acquirement...

9. Hap MecTweaks

EE, why not, I use it quite frequently myself!! :) Hap

10. joe kuhn

I'm sure he was shooting too soon.

Thanks for the comments. If we can get him to break more targets, then maybe they'll put a little into gun fit and a book or CD.

Joe

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I started juniors with a .22 rifle (no sights & fitted with a derlin rib attached with black silicone) fifteen feet shooting at a stationary pie plate size targets. Concentrate on the target and shoot, don't aim, just point & shoot. I had to build up the stock with moleskin for a few but they got the idea quickly. It didn't take too many shells before they had it down pat and could consistently poke holes in the target. When they can do that with consistency, switch the to a shotgun & moving targets. Then watch them develop.

Big Jack

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Find someone who knows how to coach and turn the kid over to him, and tell the kid to quit listening to anyone else. Not bad advice for adults either. Why does everyone think they can coach trap?

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

There are too many experts in every endeavour, not just trap. Stand on any sideline at any baseball, football, soccer, or lacrosse event on in the stands at any basketball or hockey game and listen to the armchair pros...

Before we even get to the shooting part... too many "expert" parents can't even convey basic firearm, safe handling techniques to their kids - how many times do we see kids putting their fingers on that trigger, before fully mounting that shotgun - I see it all too often and parents get a bit testy if you have to point it out to them more than a couple times...

regards all,

Jay

14. joe kuhn

This is integration into a club - skill wise. This is not trap coaching. Here's my rough outline of the progression:

1. Intro to club - safety, procedures on the line, braking first target, squad management and etiquette

2. Skill level improvement, friendships develop, get tips from club members. Scores in teens

3. Regular shooter, possibly reloading, first look at stock fit, book, CD. Scores 20+

4. Shoot at other clubs, ATA, pro clinic

Rookie shooters show up at our club all the time. Take my comments within this context.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.