1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New kickeez pads- hard as a rock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice this lately? I order one of their rocker pads b/c I wanted to try that shape, when it arrived, it was as hard as the solid rubber pads Remington puts on the 870 express (in other words, no give, AKA hard as a rock). So hard in fact that I never even bothered trying it, I just sent it back.

It seems like they've all gotten harder since they switched a couple years ago to the style that doesn't use the screw hole plugs, but this one took the cake.

2. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Interesting- i just paid to have a 3/4" straight pad put on as well and it is hard as a rock!Not impressed for $150 to have a kickez put on a non cut stock!

3. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I shot with kickeez pads for a couple years. they tore away from the plastic base and became hard. I replaced them all with pachmayr decelerator pads.
    I always used pachmayr pads and should have stuck with them. Better long lasting, I dont think there is another name in recoil pads.

Jason in PA

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Try the Pachmayr Trap pad. You will love it

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've installed at least 15 of them over the last 2 weeks and they were all just fine.

Ed Yanchok

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I have KEZ pads on most of my stocks, the oldest one is probably 10 years old, and still soft.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

150 dollars for a kickeez pad? Someone got ripped off

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Several years ago I bought out Kick-Eez's red pad entire inventory, or so I thought.

Then after a call from a friend who said I did NOT get them all, I got back with them and got the rest. One of them in that last batch was a darker red, and after looking it over closely, I WAS hard as a rock. Had to have been a 10 year old pad.

Kick-Eez has changed ownership AT LEAST three times from the originator Bob Pierce on MO, I believe. I met Bob at the 94 Shot Show in Dallas. He said I could buy direct any damn time I felt like it - nice guy. He's sold out, unfortunately. Then some attorney in Oregon, I believe ended up owning the Kick-Eez business. I never could keep on top of who owned what after that and my prices varied as much as wind direction.

So, I got hold of the company that makes those Sorbothane pads, and he told me it probably was and that they had not made a brightly colored pad for them in a helluva long time. He also told me he'd be happy to make them again in those wild colors. I always liked those colors, because you could always tell if someone picked up your gun out of the rack.

I recently got in about a dozen Rocker pads from my gunsmith friend, Ernest Marlette. They were as soft as a baby's behind. So.... it's gotta be the age of the pads.

IMHO.

Whiz

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Recent kick-eez pads have been fine for me. Instead of flaming a company I suggest you give kick-eez a call they will supply you with new stock if they are indeed as hard as you say. One thing to remember is if your in cold weather they do get harder.

Since you made the comment about paying $150 I assume someone else installed the pad your gripe is probably with them they must have been using old stock. An old pad can oxidize and all pads get harder over time.
    Joe

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If your concerned with the pad being new stock you can order them through me and i'll get you new stock direct from Kickeez.

Joe Goldberg

11. skeet_man

Joe- I wasn't flaming anyone, just asking if anyone else has had the same experience (which it appears some have and some haven't, which makes this even more of a quandry).

I've worked with a few kickeez pads over the last couple years, and all were significantly harder than the old style that used the screw hole plugs (in fact, I still have one of those pads here, which is probably at least 6 or 7 years old, and is still MUCH softer then ANY of the current mfg'ed ones I've used), but the most recent one was absolutely horrible (the rubber was as hard as the plastic backer).

Perhaps it isn't the age of the pad, perhaps they are using different lots of mat'l, or their quality control is slipping...

& I wasn't the one that made the comment about spending $150... I ordered my pad from a large online dealer, who more than likely is turning over inventory pretty quickly. Now that I think about it, I remember ordering a Rocker pad sometime last year as well, from a different large online dealer, and sending that one back as well because of the same issue.

It'd be nice to order factory direct from Kickeez, but not when their price is 50% more than Gamaliel...

12. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I thought it was Hiviz that used the plugs, my rocker pads are fine and have no plugs

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Don't suppose anybody contacted Kick-Eez about it?

<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

14. skeet_man

The hiviz does use plugs. The kickeez pads did as well (although I don't think the rocker pad ever used the plugs, since they didn't come out until the the rest of the line was changed to plug-less, but all their other ones did). I'm using the pads w/ plugs as more of a frame of reference for time than anything else.

15. skeet_man

Unknown- Just sent them an email. Will report back what I receive for a response.

16. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Rubber compounds as well as SBRC's, Synthetic Blended Rubber Compounds can and do post cure, becoming harder. Most often post curing is caused by low grade ingredients, off recipe blends or improper curing in the manfacturing process. The number one culprit is normally a change in recipe to lower cost of raw materials to to hold selling costs or increase margins.

Surfer

17. skeet_man

Just received a message from Kickeez. I'm being told that the durometer of the pad has not changed since the 90s, that it is 70-72, and that Sorbothane does not get harder with age. The gentleman told me that is regardless of thickness or design, that they should all be the same durometer. The gentleman also said that kickeez pads do not get harder @ lower temperatures. All of this is verbatim from the phone message I received.

Not sure what to take away from that... Clearly (at least to me) SOMETHING has changed, and I'm not the only one who's noticed it. Its pretty obvious to me, esp when comparing my screw hole plug style pad which is many years old to a brand new off the line pad a couple weeks ago.

What is interesting is that some people are having problems, while others are not. That leads me to believe there are different "lots" floating around, some soft, some not so much.

18. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

the Kick EZ pad has been on my gun for over 12 years, and is still as soft as can be. The style I have has the plugs in it. I would say it is as soft as or softer than the kick-ez pad that came on my new Blaser.

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I bought a new Rocker pad last fall, it's a normal soft Kickeze ,not hard. I have had several, they have never changed. I suspect two guys could pick up the same pad and one would say it is hard the other would say it is normal soft Kickeze pad. They are my favorite, don't care for the hollow, air filled pads.

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've had sheets of Sorbothane stay soft for 20 years, and the three pads I installed in recent months were all soft as expected. But anybody who thinks temperature doesn't affect hardness must have flunked physics.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kick eez rock

kick eez rock trap

kickeez hard