1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Jersey FFl faces long delays with NICS check..

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by chino, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chino

chino Member

I was told by my FFL in NJ that it will take between 10 days to 2 weeks for the NICS check before I can take my shotgun home.Any of your FFL in NJ facing the same problem?This is very frustrating!

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

This was after your FFL had made contact with the NICS and received a "Delayed" status?

Something is not right with this information. Seems your FFL dealer is either confused on procedure, or is being really cautious for some reason. As Rick states, there is a time frame to which the delayed status lapses, and you can obtain the gun. That is unless the NICS stated to delay transfer for that period of time for some reason. Which usually is just a "Delayed Open" status.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

another liberal opinion

4. Stl Flyn

"If the FFL has not received a final determination from the NICS after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must check “no resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473."

5. jm9x23

jm9x23 Member

Long guns can be transferred thru a Pennsylvania dealer and it takes 10-30 minutes. NRA has done nothing in New Jersey in the 20 years that I have lived here.

6. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Yes it is taking between a 7-10 days to get checks done. They are usually called in to the NJ State Police but due to the heavy volume they can only be faxed in to NJSP HQ. They only have a few people working and they are swamped and being it's NJ they aren't going to put any more people in that office nor can they afford to.

Blame it on the President and his rhetoric. According to most dealers in NJ he is their best saleperson.

7. Stl Flyn

So it is required by the FFL's to use the State system, and they can't use the Federal system? Sounds to me to be a State problem! I think you should move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.