1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

"New" Ithaca Model 37T Review

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rem29, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem29

Rem29 TS Member

Well I can give a short review of my brandy new Ithaca 37T now that I have a couple a boxes through her.

Getting the gun was a 8 week wait as Ithaca was in a production run of the 60:40 30" barrel that I wanted. When it finally came in I was curious as to why the mid bead was missing and thought it either fell out or was a factory "oversite" (pun intended). After searching the packaging and finding na-da, the dealer called the factory for me. Ithaca said that even though the rib are drilled for the mid bead, the bead itself as an option and was an additional $15. This was not offered on order placement nor is on the options list on the websight. I was handed the phone, and Ithaca reaffirmed that it would cost me an additional $15. I politely said it was unacceptable on a $900 gun and told them I was refusing delivery until the issue was resolved. Ithaca called the dealer back 15 minutes later and told him they were shipping the bead out priority mail at no charge. I was overall saddened with the customer service knowing how the "old" Ithaca treated their customers. Let's move ahead and hope this is just a growing pain at the factory...

The gun is built like a Swiss watch. Precision fit form and function through and through. I took her out of the box, gave her the new gun cleaning and away we went to the field. Shot 3 squads of trap 25 < yes 1st round, 24 and 25! Winchester 1200 fps STEEL shot out of the stock MOD choke.

The monte carlo stock is not oversized and cheek welds beautifully. Grip is comfy, similar to my Citori XT (my primary clay crusher) and the action is solid locking but cycles like the precision machine it is. Fluid, no drag, perfectly aligning, high quality, MADE IN THE USA, construction. The receiver is, I believe, the standard model 37 as the top is a matte blued and tapped to receive scope mounts. I was not liking the matte finish up top but convinced myself it eliminates any glare that would disrupt sighting. (Very well may be true, but I like it now) As for the scope mount holes, they are neatly plugged with the appropriate set screws but this beauty shoots so well I may have to install a scope for those "let me see how far I can let the clay fly" shots. I was "playing" later and allowing others to shoot the 37T and swear the clays were dying of old age they were so far out before smashing them. All liked the fit and were able to shoot her well without any trouble at all.

Bottom line, YES I would buy it again in a heartbeat. NO this is not a Kreighoff or a Ljutic but this sweetheart of a gun is withing the budget of most any trap shooting enthusiast. If you are looking for a premium gun at a reasonable price, buy one but make sure you tell them to throw in the mid bead at no charge!!

PS - I have not patterned her but feel it is 60:40 just like the doctor ordered.
  2. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

Rem29:
    Nice review, but are things that bad at Ithaca that they attempted to squeeze out another $15.00 from a new customer? That's pitiful to say the least. In the early 70's I had a trap grade of theirs with beautiful figured wood. How is the wood on your trap model?
    Steve Balistreri
  4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Active Member

$900.00 for a bottom eject pump gun. Give me a break!
  5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Would it be worth $900 if it ejected out the top?

See -- people yap about "Buy American," but only good folks like Rem29 put their money where their mouth is.

-Gary
  6. alwayslearnin

alwayslearnin TS Member

I'm suprised the receiver is tapped for a scope. My trap model isn't nor is every M37 they produce in Ohio. Glad you're happy but that wouldn't fly with me.
  7. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

The drilled and tapped reciever would not fly with me. I would not accecpt that gun.
  8. eightbore

eightbore Active Member

I would send it back. It is a piece of crap if they can't build a receiver without holes. And a hole in the rib but no sight? Give me a break.
  9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Rem29;

Now aren't you glad you posted your review?

bluedsteel
  10. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

I am a huge fan of the M37 and glad to see the new Ithaca company building them like they should be made. I don't know how they will fare in marketing their product which has machined steel and walnut against all the plastic fantastic stamped out guns that cost about 1/2 as much. Hopefully there are enough buyers out there that can appreciate the quality difference and the fact that is made in the USA.
  11. JACK

JACK Active Member

here ya go. click the link above
  12. timberfaller

timberfaller Active Member

Why steel shot??? Isn't that a little overkill?

I've always like how they were put together and bottom ejection.

Never could hit with one even after changing butt stocks.
  13. Rem29

Rem29 TS Member

The wood is very nice but not jaw-dropping gorgeous - I can't see it when I shoot anyways.

$900 for a bottom eject - yup that's what I posted. TY Gary for your support.

Yes, I am glad I posted. One size never fits all. What are you shooting eightbore?

Steel shot #7's as our field went "green". Don't know how the word overkill applies.

All replies meant with due respect.
  14. bkt514

bkt514 Member

REM29......this gun can be customized for an upcharge I suspect? Adjustable comb, and perhaps a fitted stock.....LOP and a fitting for a Lefty shooter. I got my first Model 37 in 1972.
  15. Ross

Ross Active Member

Think that the 37 is the only pump still made with machined parts. I had no problem single loading mine, would probably still be shooting it if the bbl hadn't gotten bent so that it shot 3' left and 2' low had it straightened but was just never quite right, should have just bought a new bbl, and I do like the bottom ejection, will admit my Rem.31 is easier. ENJOY you new sweetheart. Ross Puls
  16. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

A Browning BPS Trap model is about $799.99 msrp, last time I looked. Not made in the USA but doesn't have scope mount holes drilled in it eighter. Mid bead no extra charge.

Jason in PA
  17. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I think a trap barrel on a feild grade receiver w/ upgraded wood for $900.00 from Ithica is unreasonable. $15 for a midbead pfffff, better be ivory.

Jason in PA
  18. eightbore

eightbore Active Member

How do you explain those holes in the receiver to the next potential buyer if some don't have the holes? A Model 12 Trap with holes in the receiver is worth about $200.
  19. alwayslearnin

alwayslearnin TS Member

I'm glad you're happy that you posted a review. As far as the comments regarding the drilled and tapped receiver they are meant to be helpful. I personally would call and see what's up with that. It could affect resale value down the road. (not that I can imagine why you'd sell it) As far as options yes they are available. Mine has AAA wood, an adjustable comb from the factory and my receiver is very nicely engraved. $900 for a very high quality, custom shop, USA made trap model with a 60/40 rib and monte carlo stock is a wicked bargin. For those who disagree you'd really be up in arms as to what one like mine costs. Then again thats why 870 express and Mossberg 500 sell so well I guess.
  20. Rem29

Rem29 TS Member

I gave Ithaca a call and the rep seemed to understand my point about the receiver being drilled and tapped and matte on top. He said he would discuss it with the Marketing Manager to see what we can do. Excellent point about down the road selling if I chose to part with it. I will use this in my next discussion with Ithaca.

I sniffed out the Browning BPS and the fit just wasn't there for me nor was the precision of the action. You can get an adjustable stock but it was a longer wait than I wanted. I could get a two week turnaround on other premium stock modifiers for $200-$250. Will do if I needed but the gun fits and hits as it is.

I thank all of you for your comments. Points are well taken. Remember, I was providing you with an objective review and still would recommend the 37T.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.