1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New hobby consuming shooting time.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kehrby, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Inherited my Grandfather's 1936 Model A John Deere tractor and am starting the restoration. This project is getting more expensive than shooting! Luckily there is an old farm equipment junkyard nearby which is helpful.
    John Deere still has a lot of parts still available new but they want an arm and a leg.

Just wondered if anyone else here does any of this as I need to tear into the transmission next. A broken PTO gear dropped into the bucket when I was draining the fluid and there are no shop manuals available for these unstyled tractors. Anybody else with any experience? I've been a Ford tech for 26 years so I know my way around mechanical things but I have already found out there are some old tricks to these tractors that if you don't know about you can get screwed real quick.

Steve

2. burtona

burtona Member

I have a nice 1950 Model M that I use for grass mowing. The engine was rebuilt when I bought it a couple of years ago and it still runs great. I found several sources for on-line owners manuals and repair manuals for mine. You may be able to find similar sources for your older tractor. My dad bought a new model M when I was 10-12 year old and it's what I used growing up on a farm. I'd like to restore one of the older 2 cyl tractors but I don't think I have the MoJo to do it anymore. Too many other things I'm interested in to start a new hobby.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Got pics of that old '36? Sounds like a fun project.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Go to the Green Magazine forum, or Old Iron, there are a bunch of forums on rebuilding the old tractors

Also for parts check with Steiner Tractor, K&K parts, or Two Cylinder Plus, and there alot of other ones also, Mother Deere can be beyond brutal, on prices, and it gets worse everyday but they still have parts for 70+ year old tractors

I have a barn full of old Deere's (and one full of new ones) I've had a 23 D, an 830 D, and still have a 38 A, 40, 720D, and 730D, and yes they can be money pits, but the A you're working on is a good place to start, the A I have, I bought for $25 when I was 12 years old, from a neighbor that Dad had bought a farm from, it was going to be cut up for scrap, when my Dad had his auction on the farm, I owed him some money so I told him to sell the A, didn't want to but, at the time I was living in town and had no place to keep it, but in 98 I bought it back, it was in terrible shape, and have since got about $2500 into it

If you need any help PM me

5. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Would love to post pictures but don't have working digital camera at the moment. Google unstyled model a and you will get an idea. Have tried steiner and several other online sources. Going to try posting at green magazine. Even called John Deere and they said there never was a shop manual printed for the unstyled model A. I asked how the dealers fixed them? Apparently the mechanics just tore them apart and figured them out... OK I can do that.

Steve

6. Catpower

Actually if you can find an original owner's manual it pretty much covered everything on them, but finding an original will be pretty hard to do

I have one, I got it one time when we went to the Waterloo tractors works to pick up a flywheel for a tractor that Dad needed to get back in the field asap, it was before next day air LOL, but I told the receptionist about my project, and I wanted to get the silk screens for the hood, they sent me the book and a blue print of the silk screens, with a letter that told me the day it was made, and where it was shipped

That was a long time ago, back before anybody started to collect them

Good luck with it, BTW the Green Magazine site has been pretty slow, everybody is going to shows I guess, but the Green Magazine is also a good source for vendors who sell good after market parts

7. Catpower

One other thing I have learned working on the old stuff Kehrby, is not to look too hard for things that are wrong, most of these things will get very few hours on them after they are restored, there isn't much use in bringing them back to original, except for the paint and sheet metal

8. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Believe it or not I have the original owners for the tractor. My Grandpa bought it new so it all got handed down to me. Yes the manual has a lot of info but not much on the trans. I guess thats up to me unless I can find some information from someone who has been there before.

Steve.

Ps. Thanks Catpower, I will also try any other resources you have.

9. Catpower

Steve, I checked in the last issue that they made of the Service Publications Catalog that they printed, and it lists SM2000 as the service manual, and PC674 as the parts manual.

The service manual is also listed as the manual for the styled A, it would work as there really wasn't much differance in the early styled/unstyled except for the sheet metal

You can order them at 1 800 522 7448, but as with everything else they are pricey, but will worth the money when you get in a jam

Hope this helps
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.