1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New high horsepower 2-stroke engine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Opposed-Piston-Opposed-Cylinder

2. neofight

neofight TS Member

I read somewhere this design has been around for awhile, but to date, has only been used in some military applications. It sounds like a great idea if they can keep it clean and deliver some respectable mileage. I sure like the fewer moving parts that 2 strokes offer.

Of course, if we're going to be paying upwards of $4.00 a gallon or more for fuel, especially with E15 in our future, hybrids, all electric, hydrogen or one that runs on spend wads and hulls would be more appealing.

3. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

This is a new twist on the Fairbanks Morse opposed piston diesel locomotive engine,also used in Submarines. This new engine uses one crank shaft and several connecting rods to achieve the opposed piston motion. THe F/M engine used two crank shafts. One at the top of the block and one on the bottom, and they were timed together with gears.

Quite interesting pieces of machinery.

This new engine looks like it could be a winner as long as they can fix the relatively minor issues the prototypes have.

Like Neofight said above we need to be looking for engines to run on new fuels.

I personally think if we got an engine to run on Bullshit we'd probably all be millionaires in a milli-second. It would definately be a hit in DC.

Change is enevitable.

Randy

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

There is a locomotive engine in a train museum in England that had 3 cranks with 6 pistons per row. There were several rows. The entire center of the engine was a supercharger. That was a big impressive monster.

Now, that is an engine.

5. pipestone

pipestone TS Member

Here is what was once a common opposed piston engine in the marine industry.
    A Doxford Seahorse.These were vertical engines, 90 degrees from the horizontal as compared to the horizontal opposed engine at the start of the thread. The second link is a cutaway version of the one posted in the URL box,vertical but also a cross-head engine. The last link is of an Double Acting Opposed piston engine. Pardon me, but I had to add the links to give the retired and active Marine Engineers on Trapshooters.com a glimpse of the past!
    Art
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq2lntONUBw&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unAsUugK9zw&feature=related

6. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

That Napier Deltic engine is typical of engines made by Napier of England. It is also just a 3x more complicated version of the Fairbanks/Morse engine. They had a propensity for building the most complicated engines in existance. Another one to look at is the Napier Sabre which is an H configuration (2 cranks)24 cylinder aircraft engine with sleeve type valves. It was essentially two flat 12 cylinder opposed engines laid on top of each other and driven thru a common geared output shaft.. It powered the Hawker Sea Fury Fighter at the end of WW2. To say it is complicated is probably the understatement of the last century. I think only the Pratt and Whitney R4360 4 row 28 cylinder radial engine, known as the "Corn Cob" had more piece parts.

All of these engines fell out of use almost over night due to the perfection of the Turbo Jet engine.

Whats next? I can't wait to see it.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.