1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

--- New High Grade Barrels from Italy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Marcello called this morning to say that he is now set to get shotgun barrels from the premier maker of barrels in Italy. He informed me that the barrel maker makes these for Perazzi, and all the "very expensive" guns in Italy. The are NOT hammer forged barrels, but machined barrels - the best available.

We can get these in 18.4 and 18.7. They come with three chokes, no ribs, in-the-white, and machined ready to be inserted into the monobloc. These, of course, need to be installed by someone like Simmons, etc.

The cost is $375 and shipping to you.

If ordered, we require a 50% deposit because the Italy maker has had some folks from the US order items and then never pay for them.

Whiz

2. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Whiz, I'm not fluent in barrel speak. What does 18.4 and 18.7 stand for? Thanks Bruce

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Not Whiz, but 18.4 and 18.7 would be the ID, roughly .7244" and .7362".

Whiz- Any chance in getting him to make anything in the .740-.750 bore range. Also, what lengths will be available?

4. whiz white

We can make any barrel length of 34" or less.

The $375 is for each barrel, not an 18.4 or 18.7 set.

18.4 was the original Perazzi barrel diameter until the newer generations of bigger bored 18.7. All new present Perazzis are of the 18.7 diameter.

Whiz

5. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Whiz,what weights are available say for 29" ?Thanks, Donald.

6. whiz white

Don't know - we have not had any made yet.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

What kind of concentricity are we looking at wall thickness and weight for a 34"tube.

Are they final machined to a perazzi stock diameter? Are the Chambers and forcing cones cut?

In other words is this a finished barrel ready to be inserted in to a monoblock and soldered or are we talking of a blank?

Joe

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

While your at it you might look in to providing replacement side ribs theres a great nead for them in repairing some of the barrels which seem to loose their side ribs.

9. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Whiz,

Perazzi commonly has produced 18.8 (.740) barrels as well as I have two O/U sets. Just an FYI.......

Dan

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I guess I should clarify my question I would like to know if you know the wall thikness at the thinnist point and the OD not the ID.

Joe

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Two questions:

Are hammer forged not desireable?

Where does one get Beretta monoblocks or does Simmons do that?

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I guess I'm not up to speed on ATA guns so I don't know whether you are discussing single barrels or over under barrels and also don't know what guns you are talking about, just P guns or others too. $375 seems a little low for over under barrels, but it sounds like some posters are assuming over unders are what is being discussed.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

eightbore, these barrels are single barrels. You could order two and place them in an O/U monoblock and finish them with side ribs and add all the other goodies and have an O/U set. Regulating both barrels to have the same POI at 40 yards would be tricky but could be done. Hap

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Since these are designed for Perazzi mono blocks I'm just curious on the section that goes in to the mono block what is the outside diameter and how long is it. This is important it could be too short for some Non perazzi mono blocks.

I'm asking this for possible use in other non perazzi mono blocks. Like Gamba Sebatti and Krieghoff.

Can you get non choke tube barrels?

As one who has used both barrel blanks and finished barrels I was just making sure. Thank you!

I was trying to take the high road and just ask for information but I'm not fond of statements like this: since the answer is apparently from some one who is ignorant of barrel manufacture.
    "The wall thickness would be the same as present Perazzi barrels so get out our mic. And, they will be concentric (ha, I gotta say this was a dumb question). Of course, they are concentric-they're coming from the premier barrel manufacturer in all of Italy!"

#1 You can get a perazzi set of barrels with different weights. The way they accomplish this is by using a different wall thickness. So a mic on a different set of barrels will possibly be different.

#2 Concentricity is quite an issue in some perazzi barrels! I'm not saying that their dangerous just you may get a good set or a bad set. This is one of the reasons that a live bird shooter won't part with a set of perazzi barrels that work for any amount of money.

Industry standards allow for quite a variance in concentricity of deep holes like barrel tubes. .004 variation is quit common from one side of a barrel wall to the other. Some of the better barrel makers of precision barrels will hold the tolerances to with in .0005. (like Dennis Devault)

Now every barrel manufacturer I know both shotgun and rifle will list the specifications and tolerances of their product. This is a standard practice in the business. If you don't know Just say so. Please I'll stop with the insults I hope you will. when working with barrels where there is liability and danger terms like Quality and premier manufacture don't cut it.

Now I will say the price of the barrel factory threaded and with three choke tubes is quite reasonable. Especially if you have a damaged barrel you need to replace.

Last Question What is the thread on the barrels. Thread and pitch and a who's choke tubes are compatable. I would assume that they would be the current perazzi choke tube thread and would interchange with a current Perazzi tube.

Joe

15. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Mr Joe,
    I'm going to answer some of your questions.
    The thread on the barrels will be the same of Perazzi thread and it will accommodate the last generation of chokes because I have a lot of them made.
    For the moment we will have make for us barrels that will fit Perazzi monoblock MX and TM model.
    You are right, all the manifacture give the specification on their products and me and Jim will do the same but before we will do this we got to know how many people interested there are. When we commission a production of barrels we can not buy just one but several hundreds every time.
    I will answer all your technical questions at the end of month and I sure you that we will sell these barrels they will have a certificate with technical information (type of materials, tolerance, leinght, weight etc etc).

Marcello Giuliani

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Thank you. Marcello your answers are completly understandable.

Now since they won't fit most of the Origional ribs from the guns Would you be able to offer ribs from an Italian source or produce some in house?

Joe

17. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Joe, for the original ribs at the moment we can only get Beretta top ribs. For the Perazzi ribs (top and side) I'm working on it.
    Marcello Giuliani

18. whiz white

The rib shown in an earlier thread on a similar subject shows the Beretta rib, a high rib, much like a Perazzi rib that Marcello is using on a barrel he is putting together for me.

Whiz

19. whiz white

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.