1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Here, Have a new 500 Mossberg

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vodkanockers, Jul 15, 2013.

1. vodkanockers

vodkanockers TS Member

Will my 12 gauge 500 mossberg with the accu-chokes do to get started shooting trap? It has a ported 28" bbl.

The little woman works at walmart and I think I can get the federal target loads with her discount for about what it costs to reload them. I think they are 2 3/4" x 1 1/8oz x 7 1/2 size shot.

Any comments would be helpful

Thanx Ahead of time

Vod

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It will work to get you started. Make sure you have a modified or full choke and show up at the range with your gun action open and empty of shells. Have ear and eye protection and something to hold your shells. Walmart also sells an inexpensive shell pouch. Tell them at the range that you are a new shooter, and have them explain to you the safety and etiquette rules. You have a flat shooting field gun, so you will have to cover the bird with your barrel when you pull the trigger. Shoot the target before it starts to drop. Load one shell at a time and have fun. Pick up your empties at the end of the round, not as you shoot. Mark

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If WalMart don't have it you probably won't need it ... Thanks for your support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

VOD.....
    Thats the gun I started out shooting trap with. The old Mossberg 500. Before long I was breaking 50 straight with it. It was a plain barrel,no rib,28" mod choke. I bought a full choke vent rib barrel later. Still shot very well. My friends all said now I need a real trap gun so I moved on to a more expensive gun.

I still have the Mossberg and shoot it once in a while. The only thing I notice is the recoil is much harder with the cheaper gun than my k-80 but it still smokes targets just as good.

And with the cost difference you can shoot the 500 till it wears out ( and that will take a long time ) and buy another and still be way ahead of what I paid for my k gun.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You can have a fit to you stock made for Mossy or you can add weight inside the stock to cut felt recoil tremendously! A decent gunsmith can work on the trigger pull?

I'd love to shoot clays and not miss till it was actually the shotguns fault??? Bout any shotgun?

HAP

6. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

I break out the 500 when it's time to get ready for duck season...The K guys get bent out of shape when I run them... f-ing Mossberg with the head shakes LOL.

7. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

Start saving imediately.The mossberg will get you started then after about 8 0r 10 upgrades you will have the gun you want.Then comes the camper and the new truck to pull it.Then the motor home with the trailer to pull your atv.

8. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one here who liked to shoot trap with a Mossberg 500 (one of my clubs is 'steel only'). If you're 'in the zone' and shooting well, it doesn't matter what you have.

Cheers,

LA in MA

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

One of the best shooters that ever walked the line was Mark Arie. He shot a Marlin "field grade" pump gun his entire trapshooting career. His gun is part of the ATA Hall of Fame. Shoot often and have fun.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The mossy will work fine but be forewarned - the game is addictive and you will want to upgrade your shotgun after a year or so. Its okay though as the ol 500 will still be a good shooter with other uses. I still have the old 1187 Remington that I started the game with.

Enjoy and welcome to the 'Powderhead Club'.

11. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

I have one son that shoots his 28in. Benelli Nova and wrecks havock on those clays.Trap and 5 stand.Wow!!!! Happy shooting.

12. vodkanockers

vodkanockers TS Member

Thanks Guys, now all I have to do is find some ammo down here in the Ozarks. Got some boxes of white flyers an was thinking about getting the 3/4 cock thrower that you can set on. Makes for a good job for the little woman + she likes to shoot at'em with her little .410 once in awhile.

Ron