1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New handicap powder...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

Been shooting PB the past several years and have been perfectly satisfied with it in every way except the price. About out now so when I priced it again and found out what the current selling price is I've decided to switch to something else and save myself some money. I've dabbled with Green Dot and while it's much cheaper, I find it produces more recoil than my current load with similar velocity. Have also tried Titegroup as several fellow club members are using it. Burns clean and has very tolerable recoil but as it is so dense I am limited in wad selection that will allow proper crimping. I'm looking at trying International Clays next and wondered if anyone here has some experience with it? Open to other suggestions as well! I will note that my handicap loads are in the 1225-1250fps range currently and intend to keep loading to that level with whatever powder I end up using.

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Stock with the titegroup and change to a rem fig 8 one ounce green wad.

3. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Just keep adding T.G. till you getter full enough John!:)LoL

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Tightgroup is a well kept secret until now. Notice how the price keeps escalating too!!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use the titegroup with the Downrange chartreuse wad in Remmy hulls, perfect.

18.2 to 18.4 will definitely do the job. I prefer Remington primers but do not want to take out another mortgage. The load works well with Winchesters or Cheddites. I don't use Fiocchis because my 90T goes into hiccups with them.

HM

6. tom90T

tom90T Member

I have been using International Clays for the past 6-7 years and I am really happy with it. You can load a light load for 16's and a great handicap load as well. Using a MEC loader, I use a #31 bushing, downrange wads,(figure 8's for 16's and Versalites for handicaps). With the #31 bushing my loads checked out to be 1225 fps. The loads produce great target breaks from any yard line. The powder burns very clean and produces less recoil with more velosity than other powders using the same amount of grains of powder. I have been loading for 40 years and I do not intend to change powders ever again. I know that everyone has their own opinion, likes and dislikes and this is just mine. When comparing any additional costs to other powders, remember that an 8lb. keg should give you about 3,000 reloads so even if you save $20 or so it may only save you as little as .01 per round. I believe that my handicap load is comparable to or even better than an STS or Nitro handicap load. Good shooting with whatever you load with. tom90T

7. tom90T

tom90T Member

From tom90T: For 16's I only use a #29 bushing and for mid-handicaps,(20-21 yards). I use a #30 with the International Clays powder for 22-27 yards. The #30 bushing checks out to be 1200 fps and the #29 is around 1160 to 1175 fps. The #30 load is also great for second shot doubles. tom90T

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

greendot works for me..

tony

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I concur with the preceding post; Green Dot is excellent and fairly easy on the shootet & wallet. BT100dc

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Clays for 16 yds, International Clays for handicap yardages. Works well....

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

What is wrong with Red-Dot???SJB

12. John55

John55 Active Member

Same thing that's wrong with Green Dot, filthy and kicks a lot harder than other powders loaded to same velocity levels. In 40yrs of reloading I've used about all of the old line powders, and while many like them for a variety of reasons, I never found much to like except for PB.

13. tomr1

tomr1 Member

Ok, so I am just getting into reloading. I've sat down and did my homework on the loads that I would like to use. I decided on Red Dot for Singles and first shot on Doubles. Green Dot would be used for my handicap loads. Should I do a little more homework before settling on these powders?

14. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

What Tomr1 said...

I am fan of Alliant Powders; American made, always been available, great customer service.

Red Dot or Promo for 1oz.

Green Dot for 1-1/8 oz.

SW

15. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Clay Dot is nice and clean & it works for 7/8 oz, 1 oz, and 1 1/8oz. loads.

It may not be the best for a 3 1/4 dram load or a 1250 fps 1 1/8 oz handicap, but I like this:

17.0 - 17.5 grains of Clay Dot, with most any shell, primer, or wad! I may be off a little, but not by much am I?? This powder drop work nice for the 2 3/4 dram (1150 fps) 1 1/8 oz.

I have used Green Dot, and I would think that 700x(IMR) & International Clays (Hodgdon) would work very well! NOt sure?

16. John55

John55 Active Member

I use Clay Dot for my 1oz singles loads and it is excellent, very clean and soft shooting but it is not suitable for 1225-1250fps handicap loads. If Green Dot burned as clean and was softer on my shoulder for the 'caps loads that I shoot it would be my choice...but it isn't so I'm looking at other powders for that load.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Load the Green Dot in a Federal paper hull and you will have a shell that is user friendly. HMB

18. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

John, I've switched from Green Dot to International Clays for a number of reasons, and am very satisfied with it's loading and performance, when using DR's Jammer both purple 1oz & gold Fig8 1 1/8oz wads. Also switched to Win primers

best...mike

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Winchester Super Handicap...

20. perga1

perga1 Active Member

American Select, clean burning and low felt recoil, especially in GM hulls. JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.