1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Handicap Load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zelmo96, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Just tried a new load. Best patterns I have ever seen, 40 yards and not enough room for a target to sneak through. 1 1/8 no. 7 1/2, AA gray hull, win primer, 21.5 gr of green dot and DRXL 1 1/8(blue). They shot awesome. #3 choke in KX-5, I believe it is IM. Try them and you will not be dissappointed. Good luck, Al Baker.

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

I'll load some tonight and shoot them tomorrow,...new AA case or the old style?

Wayne

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You didn't say what yardage you shoot. Were they awesome at 27 yards?

4. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Sorry, I patterned them on paper from 40 yards. I am shooting them tomorrow from 25 yards. We usually shoot one from the 27. I will let you know tomorrow. Al Baker

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Not trying to hi-jack your thread or load but remember it will NOT function exactly the same thru all guns and choke brands/sizes. It is a good load to try though no matter what your set-up is. I'm gonna give it a shot and i'm no where near the 25 or 27 yd mark.---Matt

6. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

I didn't think of that. I am excited. I had a good cap load but got bored and played around a bit. I hope this is as good on clays as it is on paper. I hope it is good for you also, Al Baker

7. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

The Kreighoff #3 IM choke is certainly part of the key. This is the choke I shoot in my K80 Trap Special. Mine mikes at .028 constriction. Obliterating patterns for my 16's/27 Hdcp/ and 2nd shot Dbls. One of the finest factory chokes I have ever seen. Jerry

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

These days I'm kinda of the opinion that any powder, hull, and appropriate one-piece plastic wad, at the same speed with that quality of 7 1/2 shot thru a #3 choke in KX-5, will shoot about the same.

I hope you shot more than one pattern before you reached your conclusion.

I no longer believe in magic wads and powders.

9. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Mrskeet410, Thank you for that statement. I'd be the first one to say I'm not a great shooter. I have seen many people play around with all kinds of loads and more power to them but to me (personal opinion) When your on---your on.

10. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

I shot them at live birds today and hit 45/50. You guys have a point, when I hit them they disintegrated. I was not professing having found a magic load. I merely wanted to share the info. We are all trying to do the same thing. Break birds and promote our sport. I was just trying to do my part. Good shooting everyone. Al Baker

11. team henges

team henges TS Member

for handicaps I load a remington sts hull, remington primer, 1 1/8 oz of 8, 21 grains of winchester super target (wst) and a remington figure 8 wad and I shoot a light full choke at 24 yds in my xt with 32 inch barrels.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The load sounds a little stout for my preferences. I use a similar load with a different wad and a grain or so less powder. They chronograph at around 1240 fps, so that's fast enough for my needs. I tried a load that was similar to the one you described and the velocity was more than I thought was needed. At 21.5 grains, the load develops well over 10,000 PSI, according to the data on Alliant's site, which is above what I would consider for a target load. To each their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.