1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New guy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Foxhat, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxhat

Foxhat TS Member

Hello everyone. I am new to trap shooting and wanted to run a few things by someone. I have a Stoeger Condor 12 ga. o/u. Being new to the game I went with a less exspensvise gun for now. Any comments on what I can expect as far as performance from this gun? I shoot right handed but am left eye dominate. What kind of problems can i expect with that?

2. pdq

pdq Member

Foxhat

Welcome.

First, best bet is to pattern your shotgun to see how the pelet dispersion is. And, hopefully, somewhere on the barrel or on the paperwork accompanying the gun it'll tell you the amount of choke.

Regardin left eye dominance, do a search of the archives. Tons on posts out there, as this is a frequent topic.

Pete

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Foxhat, Just shoot. All the nuances and rules and preferences will come with experience. Trap is not a theoretical game but you must do it to learn it. Have fun. There are many more advice givers out there than you will ever need. Welcome aboard; have fun!

4. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

FoxHat welcome to the world of Trap, Your gun will do you just fine, I was shooting this morning with a young lad who also just bought a Condor and has been working very hard at his shooting, gun's working just fine and he's doing well. Pete is correct you should pattern the gun then you know just what's going on with your shot & bird. Just shoot it, if you get the desire some day & money's good or it won't work any more then change.
    Again Welcome
    Fraz

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

WELCOME! I too am right handed but left eye dominant. My suggestion is to learn to shoot left handed. After a week or two it feels natural. Bulge.

6. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Sobie, is that you?

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

EE,

Do you really think it could be? Maybe we should ask him how he dresses. Lol.

ss

P.S Just in case it is sobie, let Tron know so he can get his graveyard picture ready.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's not Sobie. Sobies style of writing (if you want to call it that) has never deviated. This person actually displays proper grammar skills....something Sobie never did in any of his incarnations.

9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I totally agree with bulge, only it took me a bit longer to adapt to LH. I had to switch to lefty because of shoulder trouble. It's amazing how much better you can see the bird with two eyes open. Marc

10. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Learn to shoot lefty, I did so you can too. It seems impossible to start but you will get the hang of it. Do it now don't wait until you are a screwed up one eyed right handed shooter and don't want to switch. The only problem is buying left handed guns,vests,etc.

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

OPen both eyes and place the butt of the gun in the center of your chest! Just kidding get comfortable with shooting the gun try a few differnt things it will work out just have fun with it

12. Foxhat

Foxhat TS Member

Thanks for the help all.

13. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Foxhat

Welcome aboard, hope you have as much fun learning the game as I did (still learning). What state and gun club are you doing your shooting at?

Rich in Indiana

14. Foxhat

Foxhat TS Member

Rich in Indiana, I will be checking out the Oakwood gun club in Wheatfield Indiana as it is only about 10 miles from the house. Open to suggestions?

15. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Foxhat

I'm not sure what part of the state Wheatfield is in. I'm new to the state and don't really know my way around yet (Been working in Roanoke since Feb. 8th). I joined the St Joe Valley Conservation Club and have shot at several gun clubs in the area. Take a look at my thread "Trap Shooting in Indiana?" there is a lot of good info there.

Rich (from Pa) in Indiana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.