1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new guy reloading question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by exnavy81, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

Thanks to all for the great information. I have recently started reloading
    and was wondering if reloading sts or AA make a better round then gun clubs. Are STS hulls more expensive because they are better or just because they last longer.

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Depends upon which AA you speak of. If the original compression formed hull, I've used both with great success - STS does appear to last longer and its slicker case seems to reload a bit easier.

I don't reload the Gun Club hull, but a number of my fellow shooters reload the Sportsman's Steel (black hull) with good results.

STS Hulls are usually $0.03/hull all day long in and around Chi-Town,

Jay Spitz

3. cwh

cwh TS Member

I reload Gun Clubs and STS -- both work well.

CW

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The new AA hulls can be finicky for having the right wad to fit in it's two piece design. Using the wrong wad can sure ruin your afternoon of loading. The STS and Gun Club hulls can be loaded interchangeably (according to those that do it) and it's nice to have some STS greenies, Nitro 27 goldies, and Gun Clubs for use with different loads (all are Remington and load the same). For example I load 7/8 oz loads in the green hulls for skeet, close sporties, 16 yard singles, and 1st shot of doubles and 1 oz handicap, 2nd shot of doubles, and harder sporting loads in the Gold hulls and always know which is in my hand that way....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

STS & Nitro's are more expensive because they are longer lasting. I find STS, Nitro and Gun Club reload interchangeably. I agree with Bob Dodd, I too reload different types of rounds in each and then you have an easy color code and can take different loads for different types of targets. The Gun Clubs don't last as long as an STS or Nitro but they're still good and cheaper in the Northeast.

With the continued increase in price fewer and fewer people are shooting the better, more expensive STS & Nitro factory ammo. So naturally the price of empties in the Northeast has also gone up from $0.03 to $0.06 each for the STS or Nitro. Gun Clubs are still $0.025-0.03 each.

Best,
    Tom

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I load only AA hulls because I have a very large supply accumulated over several years. If I were starting over, I would probably switch to Federal or STS shells. I do not reload anything with a steel head.

I suggest that you get your hulls from shooting factory shells. If you value the hulls at 3-4 cents, that subtracts around a $1 per box from the cost of factory premium shells. With, my sometimes twisted logic, a box of premium factory shells at Dick's is $5.98 per flat. The $10 coupons seem to frequently become available reducing the cost to $4.98 and the value of the empty hulls you get reduce the cost again to about $4.00. This makes the premium shells cheaper than discount shells.

Pat Ireland

7. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

I reload red AA, black AA,nitros,sts, all with blue claybuster wads. The only thing that I notice is the crimp might be a little shallower in some.They all seem to shoot the same.Why would one use differnt wads for differnt hulls?..Nuc

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I shoot AA hulls on the 27 and STS hulls on the 16. Color coded for my old brain. Then I can't make an error. Also two Dillons. One for 27 and one for 16. No mistakes.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

nukinfuts- I want the wad I am using to be specifically designed for the case I am reloading. I know some like to use a tapered wad in a straight walled case but I will not. If you look at data from a pressure gun you can quickly see inconsistencies caused by using the wrong shaped wad in a hull.

Pat Ireland

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The old style AA was an excellent hull, but the new ones pose two potential problems. 1. The base-wad can come loose and lodge in your bbl. 2. The base-wad can cause wad column seating problems. Why bother with them when there are choices that do not raise these concerns....the Rem. STS, Nitro, Gun Club and Federal Gold Medal. These hulls are all one-piece and have brass bases, save the Gun Club which has a steel base. The problems with steel bases are harder re-sizing and difficulty ejecting from some guns, but in my view, they make up for it by being cheap or even free to acquire.

Buz

11. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Pat: are you saying that all your losing is fps.if it is not the recomened wad for the hull? Doesn't change the pattern,does it?..Nuc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.