1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stims, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stims

stims TS Member

I have been shooting a Browning Gold Semi-auto a gift from my wife recently. It came with 3 chokes Full, Imp cyl, and Mod. What is the best choice for trap or what should I be buying? Or maybe a diffeerent gun all together (honey the guy's said I should....)

Thanks folks I am new so I need to ask

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, errrr....maybe you shouldn't read the "Will the worlds fastest shotgun please stand up" thread.

Anyway, I shoot an auto for Trap and all other games and I feel that a Full will make you a much better shooter much faster. You can read your breaks more easily and you don't have as many sloppy hits.

Stick a Full in and forget about it.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

You have a great wife there!! Wish mine was as generous. Anyway, it seems you are new to trapshooting. The gun you mentioned will allow you to shoot all the clay target games. (trap-skeet-sporting clays). You did not mention the barrel length. For trap, (and even the other games), I would use a barrel with a minimum of 28". That being said, it just depends how serious you are going to get in the trapshooting game. The gun you mentioned, although a very nice gun; is not a dedicated trap gun. If you can afford it, I would start out with this gun and once you have made a decision as to how much trap you are going to shoot; then I would use the Browning for skeet and sporting clays. If doubles will not be a consideration, then a BT-99 would be a good starter gun for shooting 16yd and handicap. If you feel you need to trade this gun and have a gun for all disciplines, I would take a look at a decent over/under with 30" or 32"barrels.( Browning Citori or a 682 Beretta would be great choices). With choke tubes each of these guns would allow you to shoot everything. Good Luck. Ed

4. stims

stims TS Member

Thanks guys, Ed it's a 28" barrel.Eventually I will trade up but I wanted to get some opinions I'll hold on to this gun until I getgood enough to justify the expense of another.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Wenig sells a semi inletted New American Trap stock for the gold that you final fit and finish yourself. I agree the GOLD maybe not the best "trap" gun. But with the wenig stock, my gold shoots a lot better/higher now for trap. I would go for adjustable comb also

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0040.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

One tip with the GOLD......GOOGLE " cleaning the browning gold" If you have some cycleing issues this should help. Brownings Rust inhibator is anything BUT lube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.