1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New gun???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by john_carey12, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john_carey12

john_carey12 TS Member

i am waiting to get a new gun for shooting i am 16 am in the SCTP program in Kansas. what would be a good gun?? i do want a Over and Under, but i really don't know which one to get. i have a 1100 now and i shoot good with it, but i want something that will take me to the next level!!

thanks for your time,
    john Carey

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Food for thought:

Leo Harrison III who is arguably the best trap shooter ever, used a Remington 1100 until it was stolen winning countless trophies on both the State and Grand level. My point is, the gun you have now is perfectly capable of the highest level achievable.

3. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

PM SENT

Gene

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Make sure you shoot it before you decide to buy it. That way you will get a gun that is user friendly and breaks targets. HMB

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Don't buy a cheap O/U, just to have an O/U. A good O/U for trap will usually be over $1000, used. I would consider a Jack West stock with adjustable comb for your 1100. That would give you the ability to fit the gun to you. Daro Handy, PITA Hall of Fame, still shoots an 1100. Mark

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Browning, Citori Trap. Can't go wrong for the money, and you can shoot all aspects of the clay target games with it. As stated, 1100 is not a bad gun either, although there is something about a break open gun for trap.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What grntitan said. Also it's fun to beat them $10,000 guns with an off the shelf model. If you are shooting your 1100 well think about the old saying,-----if it isn't broke don't mess with it. Ross

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Young Master Carey's English grammar, punctuation and composition are evidence that our ever increasing expenditures on education are not reaching the people for whom they were intended, namely the student. His English teacher should be fired.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

True, birdogs, but it's a lot better than 50% of the adults who post here.

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

He is probably texting from his smart phone, which, if you aren't proficient at it, you would still be trying to figure how to capitalize the first word. It's just the new shorthand. Better get used to it. Mark

11. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Remington 1100, Beretta 390 series, Used Browning Citori O/U, and I would consider a used SKB 85TSS as good value to consider.

12. James344

James344 Active Member

birdogs,
    The kid asked for gun advice, not a grammar lesson.

john_carey12,
    My son happens to be lucky in that his grandfather enjoys seeing him shoot so much that he went out and bought a slightly used Browning Citori XT from a gentleman who's granddaughter shoots on the the same youth team. From that point on, my son's singles and handicap scores have improved a lot (85% to 90%+ in both since last June). He just started shooting doubles last year, and his percentage for the year is 82%. Would be near 88% if not for a really tough day fighting wind. Anyway, the XT allows for invector plus choke tubes, and you can use it for all disciplines, plus had a trigger select so you can leave the tubes in and choose which barrel to use. If I were a shooter myself, I would use the same thing. If you do get one, make sure you get the model with the adjustable comb, as it is optional.

Of course, from what I have heard the 1100 is itself a great gun. You still cannot go wrong with that one.

Jim

13. mich746

mich746 Member

I'm a new shooter at 62. Got a new BT-99 and love it. Even if you go for something else later I don't think you would ever lose much money, but don't sell it, you will be using it when you are 62.
    Hope my grammar was OK.

14. john_carey12

john_carey12 TS Member

Thank you everyone for the advice I do appreciate it. I am looking at this

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Beretta-682-Gold-E-2-Barrel-Set-12-Ga-.cfm?gun_id=100336087

Could you tell me what you think about it?

15. James344

James344 Active Member

One of the top shooters in my son's youth team uses one. A fine gun.

16. john_carey12

john_carey12 TS Member

I can't beat that price either!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.