1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

My dear wife of over 29 years and friend for more, bought me a new shotgun for my birthday. (No you cannot have her...LOL) This is my first brand spanking NEW out of the box O/U. About how many rounds or openings until the action is not quite as tight? Any other ABSOLUTE requirements that I need to make sure I do?

As an aside, stopped by Greg Hissem's and he put a recoil reducer on for me. I will say that he does great work, but more importantly he is a man of his word. He told me I would have it by Wednesday and I did. Not as common as it used to be or should be. If you ever have need for RR's or anything else he does, I will HIGHLY recommend him!!

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

there is something about some brands of new guns that you should know. You believe the reason the gun is hard to open is because the "action is tight". The truth is that the forearm is pushing back too hard. frequently, this is because the hanger has just a bit too much metal on it. This condition will also cause the forearm to be difficult to attach to the gun. You will get carpal tunnel before correcting this by opening and closing the gun.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

have gun, excellent description of a common problem. Easily fixed, but lots of misconceptions.

the has been discussed previosly, and like cutting stocks, some people would raather die than make the gun right.

A few judisious strokes with a small single cut file on the back side of the tang where it contacts the forend iron fixes it.

stroke stroke, try fit, till it opens with just a hint of stiffness.

Don't forget the grease. if you can find STP anymore it works great.

Last time we discussed this there were about 50 posts on the thread.

HM

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks Halfmile,

I was getting ready to do a thread search to find out how to loosen up my Ultra Sporter.

ec90t

5. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Big Dog Glad to hear about your new gun (you never told us what it was) I will second the part about Greg I had work done on my son's gun and he did a great job and is one nice guy.

Corey

6. bigdogtx

It was the new 682 Gold E Unsingle. Some STOS grease really made a difference. Thanks for the replies. Jim

7. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Before you go filing on a new gun, make sure you have applied a good quality grease to all points on the action where metal contacts metal.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Since she aint available does she possibly maybe have an available sister, cousin, niece or friend thats exactly like her?

9. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have a BT100 that I got 2nd hand.When I got it was just right as far as opening goes.Now the forearm is a little loose.I got to looking and the 1st owner had took a file to the back of the tang.If you are going to do this be careful.I would suggest grease and a couple thousand rounds before I go to filing on a beutiful new gun.IMHO.

Darr Wilson

10. bigdogtx

Lumper: She does have a sister that is available, widow of a very good man. Great gal as well, but I got pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.