1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gun Trap shooting blues!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TrapCrazy, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Well I finally started shooting two guns very consistently (upper 40's) and then decided I had the K80 bug and sold my fine shooting XT to fund the purchase of the K80. In the mean time I still shot my ljutic very well also. Well I got the new K80 and over the last 3 weeks my scores has suffered. The past two weekends I have shot extrememly bad low 30's. with my K80. This weekend was bad because the weather was tough, and I had trouble having to call for birds multiply times which always affects me. I patterned the 80 and thought I had it figured out because I have had some decent scores (23's and 24's) but not too many. I even went back to my ljutic for our league and was all over the place. I think I have found myself in a slump because of switching between guns. I like the k80 but really need to work with it to get how it is shooting down. The other night I had them through straights for me and was able to break 23/25 with it so I figured I had it right. One of my big problems is it swings some much different that my old XT and ljutic. It seems lighter and I feel like I don't wing as smoothly. I'm having a hard time with hard left and rights when in the past I never did. I'm tempted to just shoot my ljutic forever. I hate to have such a nice K80 and not use it. I even just bought new 32" trap barrels for it. I have been shooting a unsingle and it had skeet barrels with a flat rib which I was completely useless with. I guess I have to put another 1000 rounds through it. It is just really frustrating to go from being consistently good to terrible in the last few weeks. It is almost embarrassing...

2. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Give it some time. I have heard it takes around 5000 rounds to break in a new gun. Try putting it on the pattern board. Compare the K80 and the Ljutic. This may help.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I think you already know what you need to do. Decide which gun you really want to shoot, which sounds to me like that is the K-80, and lock the other one away. There is a transition time. Bill Malcolm

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

Tell us if it's one of the newer Trap Specials or an older Unsingle!!

5. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

It's a older unsingle. I dialed in the POI to be similar to the ljtuic but the ljutic and XT seemed to be alot heavier and swing much slower to me. I seem to jerk the K80 where the ljutic and XT I had a nice smooth swing.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Moving your front hand further out if you can will make a jerky gun a little smoother.

HM

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Try a barrel weight and balance it the same as your Ljutic. Then do your small ajustments. I think you will find this will help to get you back on track.

8. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Yeah, I thought about moving more hand further out. I'm going to try some new stuff tomorrow.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

Make sure the comb is adjusted to the sight picture you prefer. If you shoot on the faster side move the impact adjustment between 1 1/2 and 2 lines above 0. That usually does it-especially if your right handed and your misses are targets toward the right on 1 or 2 position!!

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Do you feel like a lot of the targets you miss with the K-80 should have broken? If so, you may be one of many shooters who simply cannot shoot an unsingle consistently well.

Is the K-80 a combo? If so, put the unsingle barrel somewhere you can't get to it for a while and shoot the O/U set. Go to the pattern board, shoot at targets and adjust the comb until you are centering targets with some consistency. Then and only then go back to the patterning board and determine where the O/U barrels are shooting. Put the unsingle on the receiver and adjust its rib until it shoots to the same POI as the O/U. Now the gun will be set so that it shoots to the same POI with either barrel set and comb adjustments when changing barrels will not be necessary.

Now if you can't shoot the unsingle as well as the O/U, you'll know it's "unsingleitis." You'll also probably find that the "mystery misses" seem most common on overcast days or when the sun goes behind a cloud. My theory is that our brain can see the large black blob that is the barrel's muzzle easier than the small white bead on less than bright days or when there is a sudden change in the lighting and uses the muzzle as its "aiming" reference instead of the bead. That's not a big deal on a typical top single or O/U because the muzzle and the bead are close together, but on an unsingle, that error can make you shoot over the target.

As you may have guessed, I've been there and done that. I owned a KS-5 and a K-80 at the same time and could consistently shoot the KS-5 well for my ability back then but the K-80 was a virtual roller coaster of good and bad scores and it wasn't until I shot 100 targets with each gun over the same traps on the same day that I realized what was going on.

After almost 20 years of shooting nothing but top singles, I went back to an unsingle combo a little over two years ago. I feel I may have overcome my previous case of "unsingleitis" but I also now have an eye problem, so I really can't say for sure. I bought the unsingle combo because my son has a top single combo and when I'm no longer shooting, he'll have one of each.

Good luck with the new gun. As others have said, there is an acclimation period with anything new and different and you'll probably never master the K-80 until you make a commitment to it and stop shooting the other guns.

Ed

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

There is an old saying that if you drive past a gun club and see a bunch of shooters looking into a trunk of a car, there's a good chance they are trapshooters. Most trapshooters love shotguns, love to trade and purchase shotguns, as there is nothing wrong with that. Problem is, attempting to shoot different makes of guns, different barrel lengths, etc, can really mess up your shooting, especially in winter.

You might want to contemplate if you really want to become a top notch shooter or a gun vendor? You need to finally decide which gun you want to marry and stick with it. No two guns, even of the same make of gun shoot exactly a like.
    Over the years I have owned almost every major make of trap gun. I still shoot an 870, because I just can't shoot anything any better. It takes thousands and thousands of shells fired through a particular gun to really know how it shoots.

If you like the excitement of trying new guns, and getting them to shoot well,I completely understand. You have to decide why your in this sport? Most guys are in it to break as many targets as possible. It's up to you to decide what route you want to go.
    Steve Balistreri

12. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Senior smoke and ed are on to something. I love shotguns and think so many are really interesting. And I like to buy them. The problem is I want to shoot them all good and that can never be the case. With my XT when I shot singles with it i always used the top barrel. I just prefered it because it was easier to load and unload. I think I shoot a single barrel gun fine because I used to shoot BT-99s and my ljutic are SBTs and have shot them well. I like SBT's and will stick with the K80 (it was a combo but it was a skeet gun with a unsingle barrel) I have recently sold the skeet barrel for a step ribbed trap barrel. I am waiting to get it to see how I perform with that. the only real gun I shot great out the box with was the ljutic. It fits and swings great. It isn't as nice as the k80 in apprearance but man does it grind targets. Your right I have to make a decision and stick with it.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If I read your last post correctly, the gun still wears a skeet stock. If so, it likely shoots too flat for trap's always rising targets.

Ed

14. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Banned User Banned

I could have told you all that, i'll trade you my XT trap combo for your k80

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

I agree with Steve (senior smoke) 100%. Nothing makes you shoot better, than shooting the same gun for years and years. I too have fallen into the trap shooters epidemic of buying different guns, and trying to shoot them as good as I have shot my KS-5 the past 12 years. It is just something you do. I think it has more to do with excitement from buying a new gun, than it has to do with thinking you are going to shoot better scores with the new gun. I know some experienced shooters in their later years shooting the same Model 31 or Model 12 for the last 20 years or more that could out shoot everyone at the club.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up over it; if it doesn't work for you sell it and move on.

It's pointless to hold on to it and frustrate yourself simply because of the name on the receiver.

MK

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Nothing will screw up your shooting faster than a gun with multiple adjustments. They will mess up your mind big time. Over the years I have tried several with all the bells & whistles,dissaster. The only options needed are a cut comb and possibly choke tubes. Once you get back to a gun with just a cut comb. Set it ,forget it. Your mind won't be cluttered with changing this changing that.Your scores will improve. Choke tubes will loosen sometimes,something else to worry about. There were some great scores shot before all the gimmicks were put on trapguns.
    Clyde D

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm with Unknown1, IMO you shouldn't have to "learn to shoot" a new gun.

John C. Saubak

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

ok, for what it is worth, don't buy it unless you shoot it better than something you all ready got! or else what's the point? pride goeth before a fall

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Do it fit? Are you sure?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.