1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gun--Overswing--Comments

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SongDogSniper, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Finally invested in a "higher" end trap gun. Swings like a dream compared to my ol' XT. Problem is (and I know the 3k - 5k target rule of thumb for starting a new gun) it seems to swing too good. If that's even possible. I'm having a tendency to overswing quite a few targets, forcing me to stop and "wait" on the bird.

Any thought on controling that swing a bit. Practice, practice, practice is what I've been doing. Pulling my fore hand back towards the reciever has seemed to minimize it a bit, but its still biting me. I've also raised my hold point to minimize the movement to the target.

Thanks in advance for the comments and suggestions.
    Gene

2. bigben

bigben Active Member

Gene, yours is a common problem, it happens when you attempt to move your eyes and the gun at the same time. Experiment, take your gun, pick out a target on a wall, a picture, register, etc., move left or right 6 to 10 feet from the target, now swing the gun and your eyes at the same time, as you move into the target, do pull the trigger at the target, the gun will run over the target every time! now mount the gun again, solidly into your cheek, now with the gun stationary, move youe eyes to the target aggressively, and staying firmly into your gun, a split second later the gun follows your eyes to the target and as you pull the trigger you will be spot on! a little practice with this and big scores will follow! incinerate em!

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yeah, what BigBen said above!

A tad more on his statement; "and staying firmly into your gun,"

To stay with the gun as one, poking, pulling or pushing the forearm with your leading hand takes away the ability to "stay" in the gun. Think tank turret move toward a moving target? If moved as such, weight wouldn't make any differences at all? We must give our upper body time to catch up with our lightning quick eyesight to make the proper connections!! If tank turret doesn't make sense, think upper body cast locked as a single unit with the shotgun?

Hap

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Fred, "pulling your hand back to the receiver only makes it swing faster.", wouldn't that require either pushing or pulling on the gun with the forearm hand? I was taught that the leading forearm hand was nothing more than a barrel rest supporting the forward weight of the gun. What's it mean, "becoming one with the gun" we hear so much about?

Hap

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's a different gun than you had. It's gonna take a while to learn to control it a...and that's what you're gonna have to do: learn to control it. Don't change your mount or your stance or the weight of the gun; learn to control it the way it is. There is nothing about the gun that is causing your over-swing; it's all you...need to acquire new muscle memory.

Keller

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Adjust the weight of pull of the trigger so the gun will fire the shot sooner rather than later. HMB

7. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Better yet..get laid about an hour before you go shooting...that will slow you down abit....

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I sometimes experience just the opposite. After I had my release trigger installed I sometimes release the trigger before I get the gun ahead enough. Then I shoot behind it.

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

If you were hitting before.... I think the excitement of the new gun has you all pumped.!! RELAX slow down. This is suppose to be a relaxing sport. Watching frustrations taken out when you see that target bust into pieces.

Congrats on the new gun.... swing as before. Its the same ole stick with just a higher price tag..

Good luck and Good shooting

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Moving leading hand forward will slow swing or atleast will for me. But as Hap states, you shouldn't be driving it intentionally with this portion of your body. Old trick if your fore arm shooting them is to put an empty shell in the palm of your hand keeping it there when gripping.

Make sure your keeping your eyes locked on the target and not bouncing back and forth between target n barrel. New gun n you want to
    make sure syndrome.

You may need to lengthen stock. Old LOP means little if new gun is considerably different.

Becoming one with your gun simply should mean, achieving proper POI, fit, staying locked into your gun and swinging at the hips when moving to the target with eyes locked to target and not the pretty bead.

11. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I try and use my forestock hand to pull the gun into my shoulder (not to throw the barrel around!).... use my shoulder and body to rotate/position the gun .... leaving my trigger hand relaxed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.