1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gun For The Wife

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mwm86, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwm86

mwm86 Member

I have been looking long and hard for a new gun for my wife. After much research I think we have decided on a semi-automatic, for the weight and reduced recoil. She has weak wrists due to carpal tunnel surgeries on both hands. The auto's seem to be the only thing she is comfortable holding for any period of time. My question is what do you recommend, we have looked very hard at Berettas, and just recently seen the 3901 on Berettas website, couple reviews say that it is a great gun for smaller women and youth, any and all opinions are appreciated on this subject. We have some Cabela's gift cards and are going shopping a little this weekend. Thanks in advance for all your help. Bret

2. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Since it is spring a lot of bigger shops will have events at local gun clubs where she could try out a few guns.

As a Beretta nut myself, I am amazed at how much value you can get with a used Beretta. The AL390's are a great buy and can be found used for $500 - $600. The parallel targets used are around $700 - $800.

My son is all of 100 pounds and shoots the 12 gauge parallel target. No issue with recoil. Last year we tried a Benelli Montefeltro and it beat the heck out of him. It was sold in a few weeks.

The 3901 is even simpler to maintain and new is a great value IMHO. Have her try out a bunch and see what feels right to her.

3. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

MY wife is 5-0 105 lbs . I got Her the 3901 for Her big 50. Set Her up with teacher. Now I have a shooting buddy. She loves it.

4. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

My wife shoots a 391U2. She has also had the CT surgeries on both wrists. She shot 200 registered targets last Sunday without any recoil or fatigue issues. Get a gun that fits her and your wife likes when she shoulders it

5. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Here is another option, Try a bt 99 no recoil and it is light to handle.. what ever she shoulders to her liking hope to hear she is a shooter !!!!

6. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

sorry to post again so quickly but there is a bt 99 on sale here in posts. I'm not involved in anyway just passing it on. Sounds like a great deal.

7. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

Got my wife the 3901 as well...she is 5-3 and 110 lbs...she has never shot a gun very much at all...she loves it...I load her 1 oz loads at about 1100 fps and there is very little felt recoil but plenty of gas to operate the action...has adjustable comb and a wide range of LOP...couldn't be happier...Dennis

8. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

Are you guys talking about the 3901 RL Target? That is what my wife shoots and she loves it. She is 5' 6" and has no issues with recoil.

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Beretta made a 390 Youth Extended.

It was a 20 bore with 26 or 28 inch barrel and the stock had a one inch removable spacer, by using Gel-Tek pads you cold get almost 2 inches of change in the LOP.

I bought one for my son and it allowed him to shoot the same gun for years as he grew from a small boy to a young man now standing 5' 10". It now serves as a nice field gun.

I see them every now and then on the used market.

The longer barrels made this OK for trap, albeit a 20 bore.

Food for thought.

I must admit my first thought on your post was "Nice trade..."

10. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Boy I got heck for telling you about the BT99 It is only a suggestion and it is what I shot without a problem... whatever you choose I'm glad to hear another lady shooting... Let her try before you buy something Good luck ( by the way it started me out on the PA state team my first 2 years for 16s and caps...)

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

New gun for the Wife,Nice trade. Clyde

12. eperry

eperry Member

As a woman trapshooter I am always dismayed to see semi autos always suggested for females. I have shot 2, both did not fit, Browning women's sporting clays and a 391 Beretta. If a woman can lift and carry a small kid all over she can lift a 9lb gun. I have had a Browning Citori, a Ruger Red Label, an SKB, a KX-5, and finally my K-80, and with a proper stock fit I shoot multi day ATA events with NO recoil issues. And I a 5'6.

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

eperry,

Thanx for your insite,I shoot along with my wife and daughter and we never had a problem with break open guns!!!!!!!!!!.Like 35 years for my wife !!.Nice to hear a reply from experience.

Sandy Holehouse.

14. yendor12

yendor12 Member

My wife never shot in her life and wanted to see if she would enjoy the sport. She is 5'6" and 120lbs. She did not like how the auot's felt. Bought her a Bt-99, had Rod's Custom Stock fit it to her with a gra-coil and she was hooked, no recoil problems and light weight.
    After one year of shooting, she knows how to handle the gun well and upgraded to a CG unsingle, and no turning back....she loves it!
    It's a great sport for couples...
    She even likes it when I have a bad round and she has a good round that happens to be better than mine...:)
    Of course then I wonder what I was thinking.
    Rod

15. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

yendor12,

Hey get use to it,my daughter has kicked my butt plenty of times!!!!.You will have to accept it LOL.

Sandy Holehouse.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Shopping is the fun part...go out and take your time really trying to get her hands on everything out there thats a candidate...and if possible shoot some demo guns or one other peoples guns if they dont mind so you know you're laying down the money on the perfect gun to keep her in the sport with you

I'm still in the market for a better half that loves shooting and buying guns...not an easy find these days ; )

17. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Well, we found a gun that she shouldered and liked the feel of better than the rest. It is a break open gun I'm happy to report, albeit a field gun. Which my wife will always be more of a recreational shooter anyhow. It is a Franchi Renaissance field, 26" bbls. which she likes the way it swings, and less weight hanging off of the end to wear down her wrists, which I hope calculates into more shooting. I'll try to update when we get a chance to do some shooting. Thanks to all for your helpful advice, it is greatly appreciated.

18. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Try at first a 1 oz load for her..glad you found something if it kicks please let me know it is a quick fix

19. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Trust me, if she doesn't like it she will not shoot it. My wife will always be a recreational shooter too, and shoots a field gun. It is a 20ga Beretta O/U with 28" barrels. That is what she likes, that is what she shoots.

20. mwm86

mwm86 Member

I'm actually starting her off with a 7/8 oz. load I've cooked up so hopefully that will help with the recoil, and upon closer inspection of the gun today I noticed that the barrels are backbored, between the two I'm hoping we can keep it pretty tame for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.