1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new gun for my son

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Schoolcop, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolcop

Schoolcop Active Member

My son is currently shooting a bt-99. He shoots well with it and likes it. He may start shooting a few doubles events this summer so I'm looking for an OU that he can transition to. Is there anything that would handle somewhat like his Browning? Thanks, Randy

2. zinger

zinger Member

There's a guy on here selling a Joel Etchen 682 Beretta combo that sounds nearly new. It would be a great gun for your son.

3. zinger

zinger Member

Winchesterkid is selling it and it won't last long as that is a terrific price.

4. Schoolcop

Schoolcop Active Member

Unfortunately I'll have to wait till this summer for the play funds to replenish since I just bought a 90-T this week, but thanks for the info guys.

5. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

What about a Browning XT combo? Trade up on a nice clean used one. I would think it would be an easy transition. Similar feel and triggers. Hard to beat for the money.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What is your price range? If you can get to around $2,500 then a used XT combo or Beretta 682 combo may be what you want to consider. Neither of these guns will swing like the BT99 as they are going to be heavier but they are manageable and something your son could grow with. Always a decent resale market on them too if and when you want to move on from them.

7. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I'd like to see you find a used XT combo with an unsingle for $2500. The cheapest I have ever seen one for is $3000..... You might be able to find a used Citori Combo for arond $2200, I sold one a year or so ago for that price. It had a top single and shot similar to the older BT 99's I had.

8. steele

steele TS Member

Why does it have to be a combo?? Lots of terrific singles scores have been shot with an O/U. You can probably sell off the 99 & add a few bucks to get an nice O/U. There have been several Broadways on here recently. Butch from Pgh

9. dmasencup

dmasencup Member

I put a post in the WTB section looking for a 30 inch XT a couple of weeks back. A guy with the username deuce responded with an XT combo for sale for $2750 I think. Maybe you should look him up.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Congrats on the 90-T. A Citori Trap will be fine for shooting both doubles, and singles. If you sell the BT, you could get into a nice mid eighties, Citori Trap for about another $300. They shoot just like the BT-99. Same configuration as the monte carlo stocks. You can't get any better then that for the money.

11. Schoolcop

Schoolcop Active Member

That's really what I'm looking for, something that will feel as similar as possible to his bt. Thanks for all the input and I am really looking forward to shooting the 90-T. Thanks, Randy

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

School cop, in my opinion an older Browning Lightning would compliment a BT99 very well. If he's shooting the BT well as you state and your keeping it, I would look for one.

Many of the guns mentioned above will have a most definet learning curve due to the way they move.
    A second option would be a plain Citori keeping price affordable too. Although the stock would probably be to long, if you lived close I'd let him try a Citori I have. I'd make him a good deal on it if he could shoot it. Of course you could pay the cash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.