1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New gun flaws

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pat D, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello all,
    I'm just curious about when others receive there new guns in the mail or picked up at dealers,and come home and find a small flaw do you believe you should return them or just live with it. I just received my first new trap gun since 1975. It's a combo and a beauty. I just noticed after cleaning it up that there's a pencil head size chip in the blueing under the lower barrel. Is this something you guys would return or am I being to fussy. I could try to touch it up with cold blueing.

Thanks,
    Pat

2. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

I'd like to add that when I received the package today the hard case was cracked at the corner, kind of shows that a fragile sticker doesn't mean anything to UPS. I'm sure I'll have no problem with getting a new case but the pencil tip chip in the blueing is something else. What would you do?

Regards,
    Pat

3. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I would suggest contacting the seller about what to do. If it's damage due to shipping, you would need to file a claim with UPS.

4. hitpair

hitpair TS Member

Wouldn't bother me, after a few shoots you won't remember which mark it came with originally, and which ones you and others put on it. Just get it reblued in a few years and start over.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Remember you will konw it,s there for all time . If I buy a new gun I don,t thimk I would be happy at all . Tiller some people don,t beat up there guns .

ALF

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Patdf- If I did not shoot the gun well, the bluing fault would bother me a lot. But, if I shot the gun well, the bluing problem would not concern me.

Pat Ireland

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bluing is just colored metal. A chip as you describe sounds like damaged metal. Is the barrel metal damaged? Or is it just the color that's marked? HMB

8. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

The chip will bother you forever. You should have the right to mark it up yourself. I would return it ASAP.

9. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

I`d send it right back pronto.. you paid for a new gun, no BS, no excuses.
    my op.

10. gotbass

gotbass Member

Send it to me and I will test it for a year or two and see if the chip effect pattern or poi. Make sure to send the shells you normally shoot too so that the results will be meaningful.

11. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Check with the seller maybe there was insurance on the gun during shipping.

12. gotbass

gotbass Member

Send it to me and I will test it for a year or two and see if the chip effect pattern or poi. Make sure to send the shells you normally shoot too so that the results will be meaningful.

13. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    I contacted the dealer today (Saturday) and I spoke to the owners son, I explained that the case was cracked at the corner next to the hinge. He told me they had problems with UPS. I just also read a recent thread about UPS, and how there not to gentle on packages that have fragile signs plastered all over it. The blueing issue is a matter I'll talk to the owner with. It's not a shade of color issue it's a chip, you can feel it, but no dent in the barrel (I'll double check) what bothers me is this is the first time I bought a gun since my first trap gun in 1975 which is a BT-99 and loved it and served me well. I just wanted to try doubles and loved an unsingle for years and decided to splurge. My BT-99 is in excellent shape due to I take very good care of it, and when I put it on the rack I have a rag around the barrel so as not to put a wear mark on it. So I would like to start off with a new gun in perfect condition and I'll put in the first mark. It also concerns me that if the blueing is chipped will solvents used on the gun eventually get under it and peel.
    Thanks,
    Pat

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bluing is not a layer of color on top of the metal. It is colored oxidization of the metal. Things can get through the bluing but it is not possible to peel the bluing away.

Pat Ireland

15. perga1

perga1 Active Member

If you can feel it it is more than just a mark in the bluing. As Pat said bluing is just a coloration of the metal. JRM

16. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Sportshot, you have a good point, the fit and finish is excellent, the wood is beautifull. I'm afraid a getting another gun and have a worse flaw. Does anyone know that if I sent it out under warranty do they just blue the chip area or is is a whole barrel process?

Thanks,
    Pat

17. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I, too, am puzzled by this "chip" in the blueing. Blueing isn't paint and is not nearly thick enough to "chip" off.

Is this "chip" mark hidden by the forend wood? If so, then I wouldn't consider sending it back, especially if I liked the rest of the gun real well.

If you send it back, I seriously doubt that you would get the same gun back. More than likely, if they did anything at all for you, it would be to send you a replacement gun. The replacement gun may not have any "chips" in the blueing, but it may not be as nice as the gun you have now.

On the other hand, if the "chip" is on the portion of the bottom barrel such that anyone who walks by and sees the gun in a gun rack would notice it, then I would send it back and take my chances. Or, you could just touch up the blueing yourself if you think you can do a good job of it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.